LegacyGT.com

DIY Skidplate

are the tabs on each side bent up ? to seal in with the frame ?

QUOTE=SCHM1AN;4211238]No sir, at the time I didn't realize you could bend HPDE

Maybe put perforations as a bending point in the material

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE=SCHM1AN;4211238]No sir, at the time I didn't realize you could bend HPDE

Maybe put perforations as a bending point in the material

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

no no just a propane torch heat on the line you want and its bends like butter and holds its shape beautifully

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

The thing is, if you want wings to cover the wheel wells, you would have to make something like this:

2123683116_SkidplateDims2.jpg.00551656c991f57d152904fbca27a53d.jpg

And at that point, you're going to need a sheet that's larger than 48x48. That's why I think it's better to just attach some wings with L-brackets for cost-efficiency.

could do it like this and have a slight bend up it may not got the whole way but you could have miniture bolt on peices so you have a overlap to keep all that pesky water out

skidplate.jpg.893d4f2ccb799a6588d2fed24a007dcd.jpg

• Moderators

I think you can save the file as something else that the forum does like (i.e. *.xls) and then post it. When someone wants to use it they just need to save it to their hard drive and change the file extension.

The benefit of doing it this way is that it will be permanently uploaded to the server, no missing links when someone comes looking for the file 3 years from now and you've deleted it or moved it within your dropbox.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think you can save the file as something else that the forum does like (i.e. *.xls) and then post it. When someone wants to use it they just need to save it to their hard drive and change the file extension.

The benefit of doing it this way is that it will be permanently uploaded to the server, no missing links when someone comes looking for the file 3 years from now and you've deleted it or moved it within your dropbox.

yea you can save it as skidplate.dxf.xls then its known what the origina file name was

Well I got a chance to change my oil on Sunday so I can give a little 1,000mi impression. We've gotten 2 decent snows where I did my best to drive through as much snow as possible. Here's what I've found:

Thus far, there was no evidence of the plate getting too hot due to being too close to the downpipe, headers, oil pan, or anything else. One of my zip ties broke from having so much snow and slush on top of the skid plate, so I will be replacing both zip ties with band clamps. I also noticed a few drops of oil on top of the plate, which lead me to the source of the leak- the oil filter. I jacked up the car once from underneath the plate, and at the time it looked as if the plastic was going to be left with some permanent, unsightly marks, but to my surprise, I could hardly tell there was a mark. The bottom of the plate was as clean as when I installed it with no scratches, scrapes, dents, discoloration, or anything to speak of. The top of the plate had a little debris but nothing I couldn't wipe away with my hands. When I drove over any slush or snow, the plate definitely let's you know it's there- you can hear everything that hits the plate which let's me know it's doing its job. I'm going to bolt up some girls for the wheel wells from the scraps that I have- I've noticed that every time I drive in the snow and park he car that it sounds like a lot of snow is packed up there and melting down through the sides, back, and the 2 port holes I have- it sounds like a steady flowing stream.

I can't give definitive mileage impressions since I put my Blizzaks on (brand new tires, so I have no prior mileage stats with those tires and no skid plate) shortly after I installed the plate, so we'll have to wait until spring to find out when my summers go back on.

• 2 years later...
Sorry to revive this thread, but did any of you add spacers in the bolt locations? I'm about to do this (1/8" aluminum, also have access to a mighty waterjet!) and all the aftermarket kits come with spacers and I was just wondering if anybody added spacers or tightened the plastic right up. I could definitely see it being a bigger issue with metal than plastic as it will rattle more. If so, how long did you make them? Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Bringing this back to life... I can't figure out for the life of me how to read the measurements on that template! Help? :(

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=135568&thumb=1&d=1465405348

The numbers in the brackets are distance from the origin (0,0) on the bottom left, in mm. I may still have a .dxf handy if you need it

Anything that will help! I get the brackets are in inches but I guess I dont understand how to measure each side from 1 starting point? Haha if that makes sense? Just kinda looking for something that shows each side in inches. Again, if that makes sense...

Just found this thread! I'm an estimator at a fab shop that has a 10'x30' plasma table. We can easily cut the plate & punch holes for relatively cheap (in aluminum, carbon steel, or stainless. I might make a tester soon (probably throw in oil filter & drain-plug holes, too).

Archived