LegacyGT.com

DIY Skidplate

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the other plates I have seen have different slots and areas are bent in various directions. Is that a way to justify the $300+ price or are they necessary?

Where did you bolt this to?

I work for a metal fabricator and am going to get one made from 3/16" aluminum plates.

What do you do to change the oil? Remove the whole thing?

Some of the other plates I have seen have different slots and areas are bent in various directions. Is that a way to justify the $300+ price or are they necessary?

Where did you bolt this to?

I work for a metal fabricator and am going to get one made from 3/16" aluminum plates.

What do you do to change the oil? Remove the whole thing?

Looks like he bolted this to the locations that the factory splash gaurd bolts to.

This stuff can be bent if heat is applied. Melting point is about 300 degrees F. Best way to do that if you dont have a heat gun is put a metal pipe in the oven set to 300 and let that heat up. Place the pipe on the UHMW where you want the bend and wait until it turns translucent, bend, hold, and let cool.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12027080_bend-uhmw.html

Mind sending me that CAD file? for personal use, not gunna go mass produce your idea :p i got a cnc water jet at my dads shop

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry man, I deleted the file otherwise I certainly would. If you know how to use SolidWorks/ProE/AutoCAD/whatever it should take 5 minutes to replicate

• Moderators
Mind sending me that CAD file? for personal use, not gunna go mass produce your idea :p i got a cnc water jet at my dads shop

You have access to a cnc water jet that will take a piece of material that's 48"x48"??

You. Lucky. Bastard. :spin:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators

Confirmed with Grainger that the piece they have is ~$82 shipped to the store and takes about 2 days.

SCHM1AN: does your DIY skidplate slide up all the way into the bumper cover like the stock piece does?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

You have access to a cnc water jet that will take a piece of material that's 48"x48"??

You. Lucky. Bastard. :spin:

Its a sin I'm not berry handy with CAD, or else id be making stuff left and right. I'll take a picture of it in the morning but it will fit a full 8 foot by 12 foot slab of stone with room to spare and has the power to cut through 3" of plate steel (60,000psi) I'm sure the pierce time on that takes a while but still its phenomenal.

Found this material at Grainger. Does it seem similar to what you used for yours?

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/816DB503-EF9E-4628-A98D-879E0A35E558-15472-0000186F630A52E1.jpg

FYI grainger charges an arm and a leg for most everything they sell as most of their clients are company accounts. A traditional Stanley 25' measuring tape for twenty dollars costs double at grainger. Try finding a metal fab shop and talk to the guys there.

Back in high school i was in the FIRST robotics organization and sourced a company that mainly manufactures guard rails and other heavy duty steel products. They happened to have sheets of aluminum too that they donated for us to make our robot.

Oh, well not too bad then :D

Here she is!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/danu8a5y.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/13/vesa8ymy.jpg

And look what i found laying around this morning

uploadfromtaptalk1355400626665.jpg.87c8aaf829389fd1e936361fc435f6d6.jpg

Eighth inch thick stainless steel, if the rest isn't getting put to use I'll tool around with the CAD program upstairs with the drafting guys sometime soon see if i can't make one of my own with a hole for oil change access too. Stuff id super heavy but super strong. My other option is 1/4" aluminum honeycomb board

specialB, if you're using a metal for this, you may want to slot the front two holes. I originally drilled where the OEM plate had its holes, but those didn't line up perfectly since the plastic sags a little bit, and since the bolt holes are recessed. I'm not sure if you're able to tell, but I had to re-drill the front two holes maybe 1/2" toward the front of the car

I did notice it in your pictures, I'll stay with your 1/2 offset and if need be I'll slot it to where it has to go

I can model this up and post a .dwg if you're interested. I was ecstatic when I saw this thread.. I'm a mech. engineer with access to sheetmetal shops, machine shops, etc. I really want to start fabbing my own parts for this car, I just haven't had the time to reverse-engineer anything yet. My dream job would be to work with a company that does stuff like this.. That's just not realistic right now as I need to build some experience first.

Let me know what version .dwg your water jet can read, I'll model the part in solidworks and export it out.

Archived