LegacyGT.com

Air filter retro kit pictures

Ok, I went and bought the air filter retro kit. It comes with the filter, a carrier, and a new back to the glovebox. As others have stated, it's a total joke. Take a look at the picture of the glovebox back. I've attached pictures of a stock one and the retro part (a hackjob at best). Notice on the retrofit that the hole isn't even cut very well. It's obviously a poorly hand-cut job. The black material on the back is some insulated cloth that is held in by velcro (that is already peeling off). Nobody should have to pay $85 for quality like this!!

originalback.jpg.9272bfa64f10e4c0f6df50d95b9b9971.jpg

retroback.jpg.3673b1ce8822a86f83d22a3dd2e87255.jpg

That is just rediculous. I could do better than that in my garage. With a handsaw.

85$? [cough]RIP OFF[/cough]

Just out of curiousity, would one need to cut THAT MUCH out of the glovebox? They hacked across the support bump-out, and everything... I would think something else could be done much better. Even in "handyman corner," where if it ain't broke, you're not trying!

"If wimmin don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..." Words to live by.

Well they did put more metal in for support. If you look at the top and top right you'll see a total of 6 screws holding in new metal supports. Man all that extra weight is gonna ruin my 1/4 mile times! lol. Yeah, luckily I used subie bux to do it. After you learn how to take the panel off the first time, you could easily do everything in 15 minutes without the mod. I would just take it back but I kinda broke the old panel taking it out with excessive force :)

I would snap some pics and write SOA asking if the part is truely a Subaru genuine part and if they say yes, ask them if they are kidding with the absolute poor quality of the part.

It's so badly cut that it looks like a joke - I would be seriously pissed off if I recieved that. Heck, I would probably call them and ask for a refund and if they refused, I would call my credit card and tell them I that I was ripped off and the company will not return the defective product they sent me and I will not accept the charge on my credit card.

See if you can get another one that is well made. That's really bad. I wouldn't even put a product of that quality in my 8 year old Kia. That sucks!!!!

while doing my stereo install and having everything taken apart anyways, i "modified" my glovebox for easy filter access with a Dremel cut-off wheel. made a cover from a piece of plastic cut from a 3-ring binder and some velcro. not real pretty, but i was pressed for time and it works. sometime soon i'll make a nicer cover for the access hole with some plexiglass, but it works for now, and i saved $80.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Landshark/17649.gif

Forgive me for asking, but what purpose does that junky thing serve? Is it access to the cabin air filter (climate control filter)? Or does it make the BOV louder from inside the car:lol:?
- "I've worked with better, but not many."

Forgive me for asking, but what purpose does that junky thing serve? Is it access to the cabin air filter (climate control filter)? Or does it make the BOV louder from inside the car:lol:?

provides access to the cabin air filter without having to remove the center console, trim, and glove compartment (and scratching the **** out of them in the process.) :)

• 1 year later...
Ok, I went and bought the air filter retro kit. It comes with the filter, a carrier, and a new back to the glovebox. As others have stated, it's a total joke. Take a look at the picture of the glovebox back. I've attached pictures of a stock one and the retro part (a hackjob at best). Notice on the retrofit that the hole isn't even cut very well. It's obviously a poorly hand-cut job. The black material on the back is some insulated cloth that is held in by velcro (that is already peeling off). Nobody should have to pay $85 for quality like this!!

Morias,

What do the metal supports do on the "retrofit"? I can't figure out why they're in there.

AC

stop asking! once is enough

please notice the post dates

to answer your question.

it gives a little strength to the box and prevents "stuff" from going through the fabric.

when you change filters you need a shorty screwdriver to get it off.

after that you can then pull the filter try out enough to get the old filter out and the new one in.

Archived