LegacyGT.com

Please don't...

Motive Auto Works

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so embarrassed.

A little shame all in good fun is good for everybody. Everybody learns something. I'd say that was my turbo, but it has an exhaust housing on it, so it's probably not. Can't wait to make the list. ;)

I have a feeling I'm lucky Alberto didn't have his camera handy when he did my exhaust swap... otherwise I bet my rusted-ass downpipe and corroded turbo cooling lines would have made the thread! Not that there's anything I could do to prevent it, but more about Subaru's placement of these parts... :rolleyes:

Hmm... I approve of this thread.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Mega Users
that piston is incredible. that thing is cooked. I don't know much about high hp cars, but can't you feel just a little that something isn't right in the engine?
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

A little shame all in good fun is good for everybody. Everybody learns something. I'd say that was my turbo, but it has an exhaust housing on it, so it's probably not. Can't wait to make the list. ;)

Well, I was trying to be polite and I wasn't going to tell on you but yes, this is your turbo just before I pulled it out :lol:

Please don't go to Pete stop in st Petersburg Florida.. the guy working on my car broke so many parts when doing my clutch, then to top it all off he didn't even tighten the top bolts to the transmission. I went back about 5 times to fix his mistake, then yesterday almost a year later discovered the loose bolts.

He was at least kind enough to offer me beer while he finished up. The dude was drinking, I told him I need to drive.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I was trying to be polite and I wasn't going to tell on you but yes, this is your turbo just before I pulled it out :lol:

As long as the owner claims it, I think it's fair game. No need to out anybody that doesn't want to be. ;) I make no claims whatsoever about my knowledge about cars. I'm here to learn and learning from my own mistakes is part of that. If it helps others learn too, I'm all for it. Note my signature. Happy to own my noob status.

let your turbo get to this point :(

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/MotiveHero/temporary-76.jpg

Let's see. Mostly regular maintenance. I did tend to let oil go longer than it should. I did not know before I joined here that turbo Subie cars eat oil more than others. I do not baby this car, so mine burns more than average. The worst offense of this culminated in a CEL (I forget the exact code) that was in regards to the engine pulling cam timing, which was due to oil starvation though I didn't know that's what it meant at the time. Drove 3 hours home from Maine on the CEL under the advice of the car parts store guy that read the code for me. Probably shouldn't have done that. Local mechanic fixed by filling with oil and changing filter.

Also knocked out half moon cam seal when I was changing out the uppipe. I didn't even know that was a danger until Alberto mentioned it to me after he fixed it while he was doing the turbo. I don't really know what the consequences of that could be, but I did run it enough to move it for the tow truck guy like that.

After I did stage II in my driveway, I was getting coolant in my turbo, which I think was a new symptom since I did the work. The car was smoking quite a bit right after I did that work, though I don't see how I could have really affected the coolant getting into the turbo just doing the up and downpipe. But it may not have been a truly new symptom, but rather was magnified by the new exhaust system to the point where we noticed the white smoke coming out of the tailpipes.

I got really lucky that I went stage II when I did before it blew. I got really lucky that Alberto at Motive auto worked on my car and noticed the shape of the turbo without even being asked to check in that area. Car was in for other things and he looked at it and said, things don't look right. Saved me from a good likelihood of imminent turbo failure. Thanks again Motive!

Archived