LegacyGT.com

2014 Legacy GT in Japan

LegacyWGTW05

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This haha!

If they do bring a boosted Fozzy with CVT to the states for 2014, there aren't any hood scoops on the pics I've seen...

I dunno, guess for me it robs the fun factor out of having a boosted AWD car when you mate a CVT up. Guess it's the going trend with the flippy flappies and sans the third pedal :(

There aren't any hood scoops because Subaru wants to go mainstream. Going mainstream means they want to get rid of their, in their eyes, racer cosmetics on the volume sales (Forester, Outback, Impreza non-turbo).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4141375&postcount=145

with more speeds, and better engine management, autos have eclipsed the mpg performance of manuals. CVTs just take it to the next level.

There's different types of automatic transmissions. "Traditional," hydraulic torque-converter automatics usually still get worse MPG than other types of transmission; but what we're starting to see more of are semi-automatic transmissions that are basically electronically controlled manual transmissions(the newer Ford Focus'(Focii?) have this standard on the SEL and Titanium trims; no longer exclusive to high-end sport cars). There's even different types of CVT transmissions. The main advantage of CVTs over manuals are they can keep the engine at an optimal RPM/RPM range. A manual can still get better MPG than a CVT assuming the gear ratios are optimized for that(ie: the 2001 Insight with the 5spd gets better city and hwy mileage than it's CVT counterpart...especially the hwy part).

The biggest drawback of CVT transmissions are they're not really known for handling a lot of power.

I don't know if this was meant to be a fun car(they wouldn't be the first company to do this), but more of a comfortable car with plenty of "passing" power and ability to climb hills easily on non-ideal road conditions.

I'm talking about CVTs in general vs. aftermarket. Every stock CVT system should be able to handle whatever the stock motor can put out and maybe a little bit more. It's the guys that are pushing them to +400whp that may be a little worried; though I don't think much people build Legacy's so Subaru wasn't concerned with that.

:lol: No, not trying to "troll" and I've read the thread. Just stating the facts that have been out there for years about CVTs. I'm as interested as anybody else because it is such a unique transmission and definitely a new experience to drive over any manual or automatic. I just don't see it being a performance oriented transmission, but we'll see what the future entails. ;)

I agree. If this is anything like Subaru's Version 2 CVT in my 2012 Impreza, it is absolutely NOT set up with too much performance in mind. DEFINITELY great for economy and a little bit of fun but I cannot see anyone wanting to push the awhp/awtq threshold with one :/

:lol: No, not trying to "troll" and I've read the thread. Just stating the facts that have been out there for years about CVTs. I'm as interested as anybody else because it is such a unique transmission and definitely a new experience to drive over any manual or automatic. I just don't see it being a performance oriented transmission, but we'll see what the future entails. ;)

Okay, apologies for the trolling comment. :)

I was in a groove defending the new CVT against all the doubters (and there are a lot of them) in several threads and was getting a little frustrated that people weren't having any faith that this one is different.

I tried to search for the video that was linked somewhere either on here or Nabisco but couldn't find it. It was in Japanese, but the driver was tracking the new Legacy DIT w/ CVT and raving about it.

I was just a bit excited and didn't want nay-sayers to spoil the mood.

I guess we won't really know until we see/read some solid reviews on test sessions.

I tried to search for the video that was linked somewhere either on here or Nabisco but couldn't find it. It was in Japanese, but the driver was tracking the new Legacy DIT w/ CVT and raving about it.

Do you mean my post from the Legacy DIT thread?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErtTi7J9MEU&feature=relmfu]SUBARU LEGACY FIRST IMPRESSION LEGACY 2.0GT DIT/山野哲也 - YouTube[/ame]

I just don't see it being a performance oriented transmission, but we'll see what the future entails. ;)

Depends on what you mean by "performance oriented". I would say that without the dead zone between gears and the constant movement in and out of peak power/torque, the CVT is a much better performer than any geared transmission Subaru could offer. Maybe you meant to say "fun transmission." That I would agree with. I do enjoy rowing through the gears, but assuming the CVT can handle a decent amount of power and transmit it efficiently to the wheels, it is clearly the better performer and something I would rather have sitting in my driveway.

I just don't agree with it being performance-oriented since you can't control your power band like you can in a manual. I've driven the latest 3.6R CVT and I didn't feel comfortable driving in traffic like I do with a manual. But, we'll see what happens with new technology. And that's just my opinion.

Depends on what you mean by "performance oriented". I would say that without the dead zone between gears and the constant movement in and out of peak power/torque, the CVT is a much better performer than any geared transmission Subaru could offer. Maybe you meant to say "fun transmission." That I would agree with. I do enjoy rowing through the gears, but assuming the CVT can handle a decent amount of power and transmit it efficiently to the wheels, it is clearly the better performer and something I would rather have sitting in my driveway.

It's something most people can't seem to grasp. Applying the same flaws of one item to another just because they're in the same category or are used for the same purposes doesn't mean they're going to perform the same. What I can't understand is why they can't see that. It's like they want it to be horrible because their experiences with previous ones were horrible. But just thinking about it makes me realize some people never change even after realizing things are not what they seemed (or what they wanted it to seem like) to be.

I just don't agree with it being performance-oriented since you can't control your power band like you can in a manual. I've driven the latest 3.6R CVT and I didn't feel comfortable driving in traffic like I do with a manual. But, we'll see what happens with new technology. And that's just my opinion.

What? You do realize in the REAL world there is no such thing as a 3.6r CVT, just a 3.6r with a 5-speed automatic, right?

Anyways....

:lol: Wow. My bad. I drove a CVT Legacy and a 3.6R on the same day. Thèy obviously did not use the CVT in the more powerful version for reasons. It's okay for others to have an opinion. ;) You don't have full control of the power band like you do in a manual. Like I said, we'll see what the future holds for a CVT. I'm interested.

Archived