LegacyGT.com

2014 Legacy GT in Japan

LegacyWGTW05

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That torque curve looks fantabulous. I seriously hope this motor comes in the 2014 WRX, I will be all over that.

I just was eyeing the 2013 Focus ST which is a 2.0 DI Turbo and i would trade my Legacy in right now if it were not for the fact that its fwd. What the hell do you do with a fwd car that make 270 trq at 2000 rpm, nvm what do you do with it once you mod it. You would need drag slicks 24/7.

That TQ curve may also be why the engineers have yet to come up with a transmission that can handle so much power early on. If this engine were connected to the same 5 speed that's bolted to the EJ, it would rip that transmission up in short order. The 6 speed may be super tough but we're talking about peak TQ at 2k rpm being carried for pretty much the rest of the rpm range. People would get launch happy like you wouldn't believe.

That torque curve looks fantabulous. I seriously hope this motor comes in the 2014 WRX, I will be all over that.

I just was eyeing the 2013 Focus ST which is a 2.0 DI Turbo and i would trade my Legacy in right now if it were not for the fact that its fwd. What the hell do you do with a fwd car that make 270 trq at 2000 rpm, nvm what do you do with it once you mod it. You would need drag slicks 24/7.

I'm really disappointed that car didn't come with a proper limited slip

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Wagon? If this is available in the US, I might actually own another Subaru. My family and business have outgrown my WRX, but I will not own a car that's appreciably slower or less fun to drive.

That said, I've driven a suby CVT, and was not impressed. 6 speed, please!

If Subaru can put a manual in this vehicle and still meet EPA requirements by the time they bring it over (which is still an IF not a WHEN), I will be surprised. CVT all the way honestly.

People who think they've driven this car just because they have experience with the current CVT's in Subaru's for the USDM are just glazed over. :lol: I seriously hope they keep it a CVT-only wagon (at this trim level with the engine anyways) because seeing the ignorance just makes me laugh so hard.

You don't have to appreciate whatever Subaru can do with a CVT to know that you prefer rowing your own gears.

It has nothing to do about appreciating what Subaru can do with a CVT.

Applying the same flaws you felt in some CVT from Subaru vehicle to a completely different car with a different engine made by Subaru is like saying you hate oranges because the first one you happened to eat tasted like crap. AKA it's ignorant to assume all oranges are going to taste like that just because you had a bad experience with the first one.

You can row through the gear box all you want but making judgement calls on the CVT on a vehicle you haven't even drove yet means you're just another dumbass. ;)

;D The same logic is used for racism, sexism, etc FYI.

You can row through the gear box all you want but making judgement calls on the CVT on a vehicle you haven't even drove yet means you're just another dumbass. ;)

There will never be a CVT that provides the enjoyment that a proper manual provides to myself and other purists.

Get over yourself, some people like manuals. Some people like automatics/cvts.

There will never be a CVT that provides the enjoyment that a proper manual provides to myself and other purists.

Get over yourself, some people like manuals. Some people like automatics/cvts.

I never said there was supposed to be one. ;D

Get over yourself and actually read why I posted that response. He's assuming the CVT is the same just because he's driven a car with one. No, rather, why don't you go and join an English comprehension class before you bring up CVT and enjoyment, retard.

:wub:

It has nothing to do about appreciating what Subaru can do with a CVT.

Exactly. No need for name calling. I do not care how good anyone's CVT is. It could rival or beat Porsche's tiptronic, and it would not matter to me. I want a manual, and that's my only point. If you believe otherwise, you're mistaken.

Seriously? Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. A CVT is a CVT. There are automatics that are better than other automatics and there are manuals that are better than others. Having a manual is about having full control of your car and a connection. If you prefer a CVT, good for you. Keep the name calling to yourself and get this thread back on track.

While my car was in the shop for 3 weeks I had a combination of an Outback CVT (1 week) and a Forester 4EAT (2 weeks).

The heavier Outback got better fuel economy than the Forester. The CVT did a good job of smoothly putting the power down to the road. A 2.5i Outback is no race car, but the CVT helped to get the most out of the engine and did so quite smoothly. I did like the "virtual" gear changes from the CVT, especially when merging onto the highway. Again, quite smooth. It had no problem keeping up with traffic up-hill at 60MPH. A 3.6r with the CVT would be quite a nice highway cruiser.

The 4EAT in the Forester was nowhere near as smooth. While the shifts weren't "hard" they were certainly more abrupt than the "virtual" gear ratios in the Outback.

Again, the fact that the Outback got better fuel economy was a surprise to me.

The only thing that I didn't like with the CVT - holding speed downhill, especially in school zones. Trying to keep the vehicle at 18MPH downhill was tricky. I'd pop it into manual mode and shift into 2nd, but the vehicle slowed down too much. A tap on the throttle had me speeding up too much. My 5MT in the Outback XT is much better for holding a speed.

While I personally prefer driving a manual transmission vehicle, the CVT was a very good transmission that is certainly very easy to live with on a day to day basis. Yes it's sad to see the loss of manual transmissions, especially in the GT and 3.6r models, the CVT is a very good transmission for the majority of drivers.

You have to realize that those of us who prefer a manual transmission is a shrinking demographic, and Subaru has to build vehicles that cater to the majority of buyers.

Don't knock the CVT until you've driven it for a week. Every manufacturer's implementation of the technology is different and so far Subaru is doing a nice job.

I've driven Nissan Altima CVT's and have a 2012 Impreza with the CVT and I think it's a great transmission for what it was designed for, fuel economy. It has some sportiness to it with the preset gear ratios when you tap into manual mode but I can't see it being that fun to take around a track with.

That being said, the 2013 2.5i Outback's and Legacy's come with the same version 2 CVT that the 2012 Impreza's debuted while the 3.6R iterations have a 5EAT. I used to sell them so I have driven plenty of them. It was sad to see the LGT disappear but with the whale body of the 5th gens it doesn't make much sense to have a four cylinder turbo setup when you can have the 6 cylinder with more power in a car that is no longer catered to enthusiasts.

I prefer a manual any day of the week but I certainly can appreciate the CVT in our Impreza and the sweet fuel mileage we see (and the wifey can't drive a manual LOL)

You have to realize that those of us who prefer a manual transmission is a shrinking demographic, and Subaru has to build vehicles that cater to the majority of buyers.

Now I have heard that auto manufacturers are offering more manual transmissions than ever before. Even companies you would not think would offer a manual transmission do like Buick and Cadillac.

Now I have heard that auto manufacturers are offering more manual transmissions than ever before. Even companies you would not think would offer a manual transmission do like Buick and Cadillac.

At least I know in Europe, they have TONS of cars on the road with manual trans. Cheaper to sell.

At least I know in Europe, they have TONS of cars on the road with manual trans. Cheaper to sell.

Well even in the US market. For example Chevy sells 8 car models 5 of which are offered in manual and you can get the Colorado pickup in a manual as well. Buick sells 3 car models 2 of which are offered in manual. Cadillac sells 3 car models 2 of which are offered in manual. Ford sells 6 car models and 4 are offered in manual. And of course that does not even include BMW, Audi, and Mercedes that offer more models with manuals.

Archived