LegacyGT.com

LGT--6 days new, 230 miles, WRECKED!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Really sorry to hear about your car. Glad you're OK though- make sure you get checked out anyway- you may feel sore afterwards.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind words. I'm ok and that is what is important.

Wukindada--the accident was at Nebraska & Hillsborough. I was northbound on Nebraska and the other driver was turning left from Nebraska onto Hillsborough eastbound.

Glad you are okay. That must have been some hit, a 4500+lb. truck sending you for a loop. I'm amazed how well the car held up. Not many years ago, a t-bone like that would have caused major injuries. It's also good that your car stayed on it's wheels, after being hit from the side by a taller vehicle. I hope you get your car replaced with a new one. Make sure you get yourself checked out too.

Jason K.

Glad to hear that you are ok, and that you were physically unscathed.

I second the notion to get the other guys insurance to get you a new car. Safety cell compromise is a big deal, and I know that body shops can do a lot, but it isn't gauranteed that the car will be straight and true ever again. if it weren't such significant structural damage, it might be a re-builder, but I have a feeling that is just too much structural damage.

At the very least it will probably have a salvaged title, and a carfax report, and thus worth a lot less if it is able to be put on the road. If the other guy is going be irresponsible enough to hit your car, then his insurance should buy you a new car. Getting a salvaged car back, after buying new just a couple hundred miles ago is not acceptable. Your car will be worth so much less that your loan will be upside-down a LOT longer, aside from the fact that the car might be structurally compromized.

Then, buy back the legacy, and sell off just about everything... headlights for clearing/HIDs, glass replacement, tail lights for tint/mods, interior parts, at least two wheels, and an entire drivetrain for someone...

its either you, or the junkyard... If it goes to the junkyard, try to find out which one, so at least some of us could call them for parts...

Glad you were not hurt. & impressed with how the car held up.

+1 on getting new car. the value will never be there in a car with that much damage, regardless of how good a repair job.

Strange how fate works, I wonder what you were driving previous & how it would have protected you in this collision.

Then, buy back the legacy, and sell off just about everything... headlights for clearing/HIDs, glass replacement, tail lights for tint/mods, interior parts, at least two wheels, and an entire drivetrain for someone...

its either you, or the junkyard... If it goes to the junkyard, try to find out which one, so at least some of us could call them for parts...

If you do go this route I call dibs on 2 wheels.

I was at the dealer the other day and my salesman was telling me that a kid wrecked his mom's LGT a few weeks ago. She had had the car for about 3 weeks and her son took it for a joy ride. He took out 40 feet of guard rail, rolled down an embankment onto a highway. Landed facing the wrong way and had a head on collision. All 6 airbags went off and the kid didn't have a scratch on him.

he's still a moron though

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Accidents are crazy, eh???? But now that I have a had few in the last year, I'm leasing my car. If it gets roughed up the insurance fixes it, and GMAC takes the depreciation.

Glad you're okay...it sure feels good to be driving one of the safest cars around!!

And I agree with elej...what were you driving 231 miles ago???

It all in your insurance company hands I mean I had an accident at 4,000 miles and there was 10,500 dollares worth of damage and they did not totale my suby. Did you hit your head at all, If you did get an mri. Just in case I did an they fuond a lemond size tumor in my head I had no idea it was even there they said it was there for 20 yrs, Just a percausing:)

Condolences on the car, but as many others have said, the car is secondary, the primary concern is your safety. In this regard it sounds like the Subie did an outstanding job protecting you.

Thanks everyone for your advice, support, comments. It's nice knowing that all you guys out there can "feel my pain" in some way. The Subie was my first new car and was absolutely beautiful.

My prior car (and still sitting in the driveway) was a 1997 Acura 3.0CL. The Acura is a bit lower and does not have side airbags. I would have been majorly injured in that accident as the Ram's bumper would have been at glass level rather than at upper door level on the Subie and would have entered the cabin.

At the request of some members I took more pics including some more detailed pics of the airbags. If you want to see them email me at: bhtampa(at)mac.com (use the @ symbol) and I'll get 'em over to you.

Now the fight w/ the other driver's insurance co. begins...

Anyone have experience dealing w/GEICO re this sort of thing?

First rule is....DON'T SIGN ANYTHING that the other guy's insurance company asks you to. And don't give specific answers when they ask how you're feeling or if you're injured. Just tell them that you are still in shock over the whole episode and plan to visit your doctor.

That will get their attention and start them asking you what it would take to close the file. Tell them you want full new car value for the Legacy. If they give it to you, and you really don't feel any lingering affects pain-wise, then sign off on the deal. What they really want is for you to waive future medical expenses. That's your bargaining chip.

First rule is....DON'T SIGN ANYTHING that the other guy's insurance company asks you to. And don't give specific answers when they ask how you're feeling or if you're injured. Just tell them that you are still in shock over the whole episode and plan to visit your doctor.

That will get their attention and start them asking you what it would take to close the file. Tell them you want full new car value for the Legacy. If they give it to you, and you really don't feel any lingering affects pain-wise, then sign off on the deal. What they really want is for you to waive future medical expenses. That's your bargaining chip.

Well, to even take a step back, my insurance company had a division that handled this stuff. They said pretty much not to even talk to the other party's insurance company and just to direct all communication back to my insurance company. That way if the other guy's company tries to pull a fast one, it'll get sniffed out. Remember, your insurance company *will* fight for you in this case because they want the "at fault" driver's insurance company to pick up the tab and not come out of their pockets.

1) I repeat what has been said: good to hear that you are safe and sound.

2) Call YOUR insurance company. Explain everything that happened, get them the police reports, etc. They should take care of everything for you. Your company will (or at least should -- mine does) collect directly from the other guy's company. My brother got rearended by a truck (he's fine) and his insurance handled everything with the other guy's insurance.

3) Can I buy your hood? :). Mine got severly keyed, and the body shop guy said that the had to repaint the hood, both front quarter panels, bumper, etc. to "match." = $1000 easy. I rather just either paint the hood or get a new factory one.

UPDATE--the other driver's insurance company (GEICO) is not inclined to total the car but did admit that they have to look at it with the doors off to get a full view of frame damage. My insurance company (State Farm) is going to look at it tomorrow (Friday). The initial estimate from GEICO was over $13K and 45 days to repair. They are telling me the car books out at $27K (which is more than I paid for it by about $2K). I told State Farm to focus on the frame damage and that I want it totaled if there is any. I had to have the vehicle towed out of the impound lot since GEICO did not want to pay the $45/day storage anymore.

I've been to the doctor and probably will be treating the injuries for a while. No broken bones but lots of sprain/strain.

GEICO is paying for a rental, up to $22/day. Their list for a comparable car is a Nissan Sentra. Not a bad car, but not a Legacy.

The GEICO rep unbelievably told me that I should get it repaired and then trade it in for a 2006 if I am concerned about future problems to the car. GEICO is also disclaiming any liability for "diminished value" on account of the accident since if its fixed it will be "as good as new". Yeah right. I am still very p'od over this whole thing. It is aggravation that I don't need right now.

Ok, enough ranting. Thank you everyone for your support/advice/concern.

B

Archived