LegacyGT.com

LGT--6 days new, 230 miles, WRECKED!

I'm not sure what to do at this point short of paying an independent estimator to look at the car. Anybody got any ideas?

i'd have an independent estimator and/or a very good body shop look at the car.

This Space For Rent

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^ Agreed! You gotta get some "outside" info/opinions here. Non-vested interest like you mentioned. Not sure how it works, but some body shop has to be willing to check it out for not too much I would assume. You're doing a great job and we all know this ain't easy for ya, but keep it up. All the hard work will pay off and hopefully you can get back on the road and start enjoying your ride again soon!
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

For those of you who have been asking here are some airbag photos. They aren't the best pics but should do the trick. The curtain airbag comes out of the "B" pillar and completely covers the window glass from one end to the other. The side airbag comes out of the seat. Since the seat is black it is kind of hard to tell what is what--the yellow is foam in the seat and to the right you can see the base of the B pillar.

airbag1.jpg.7110ee1ce5e2867de2fea52b9ca91e46.jpg

airbag2.jpg.1915833850768bd00f416da347cb4728.jpg

airbag3.jpg.4810493962d447ccccb7db23f1900bd2.jpg

The car is not going to be totaled.

did u talk to any independent estimator or body shop?

if there is really no way to get it totaled, i'd try to get them to pay me at least $10K and promise to fix any future problems. the car was brand new! :mad:

This Space For Rent

Wowsers glad your OK.

Very surprised your b pillar didn't move, thats amazing.

I got hit at a 45deg angle in my old wrx, right on the bpillar, but only at like 25mph, no bags, but it put a good sized kink in the b pillar, they had to cut it out and replace it.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

Make sure you have them do a full detail on it too. Body shops are the dustiest places known to man and it will be months before you get the paint smell out of the car on your own. Not to mention that you are going to have overspray on every single surface. Tell them this car better look like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I don't know if there is a good 'or else' statement you can make, but it isn't right that you have to be deprived of your new car for the month it's going to take them to fix it and then you have to drive around with everybody knowing your car was in an accident simply from the smell when you drive by.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Is it possible that with the amount they give you for diminished value, that you might be able to sell the car for the price you paid - diminished value? Then get an '06. More expensive yes, but over the years will be worth more than the '05 that was wrecked due to the fact that it will be one year newer and no wreck. I am not too sure how this would all work, as I have not been involved with wrecks this early in the life of the car, but I thought I might be able to throw out that suggestion.

That suck!!

Where did it happen...I work in Agawam and live in Westfield. We should meet up some day.

Happened last september in Ludlow, was all fixed (brought it out to the track a week after getting it back)

Traded it in last week on my GT :D

Ya, def we should meet up, hit me on aim someday.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

I'm no legal / insurance expert, but if Geico is claiming no "diminished value" (regardless of frame damage) tell THEM to buy the car. They can have it repaired and sell it, if their position is correct, then they shouldn't lose any money, right? But if you are fine with having the car repaired, then nevermind.

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: The car is now at the dealer for suspension work, installation of airbags and trim work. The bodywork and painting have been completed. I'm not going to judge the paint job till I see it in the sun. GEICO is not going to address the diminished value issue until the repairs are completed. Here's some pics I took today. Those of you who are curious as to what's under the sheet metal and interior panels might want to take a look.

1.thumb.JPG.9dc199babf4c29e6b597dad2a783da43.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.72a3ca093481d08ac48399bc4d6d2b81.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.f277ff10d6bd41e72e5b107e7ba159fe.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.580be04b5bbcc627192800097fa41574.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.70d19e5f882b44e75be2976f2b233459.JPG

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9202

This pic makes it almost seem easy to fit fold down seats...

Pull the insulation, remove the steel beams, and re-fit the wagon's rear seatbacks to the sedan...

Simple for an OEM manufacturer, anyway...

Now, why don't they?

That sucks hardcore. That is my worst nightmare. Having a car hit my brand new car and the insurance company not totalling it. Sorry that you had to live through this and it may not really be different after the repair work, but deep down inside, every little thing that doesn't feel right, you're gonna think it's from that accident. My mom's car was involved in a hit and run and even though it looked new, i noticed all these things that (i thought) were potentially wrong with it... like the panel gaps that were fractions of a millimeter off, door not closing with the same thump, etc. Glad that you are alive and well. Rape Geico for diminished value, please.

+1

you "rape" geico and they will just raise your premium until they get their money back, even longer jsut because they were willing to cut you a check right there. i jsut got my check from geico, a little over 6 grand. car will be done being repaired in 2 weeks.

legacy gt, that is not nesecarilly true. depending on what was damaged, of course, a car can be rebuilt to run just as it was before an accident. everything comes down to how good your mechanic is. thankfully i am blessed with a great one, he does not cut corners. i will give an ubiased report on how my car runs in about two weeks, with pics of all that audio installation i promised to post long ago :lol:

Not to get off topic, or seem like I'm attacking:D, but just a quick personal explanantion why diminished value is so important for tennebrac. Now, I don't work for an insurance company and I have never had to experience this nightmare, but I can tell you that diminshed value is a REAL thing. Think of it this way: If you were looking at two cars to buy and you knew one had been in a major wreck versus the other car that had never been in a wreck, which would you want to buy? If they were the same price, you surely wouldn't want to buy the previously wrecked one over the "clean record" car would you? Granted, "raping" GEICO is a little strong of a word, but in all honesty that's not what would happen. tennebrac just deserves what we all pay for: responsible insurance companies who take care of us when we're in accidents and fair value for his car if that horrible thing should happen. He will never get the same value because it's been badly wrecked. That's a fact. Yes, of course it may run the same as you mention mmanus88, but in the end, the simple question is: Will he get the exact same value as he would have before the wreck? :confused: If not, which I'm sure EVERYONE can agree on, then he is entitiled to diminished value. Like I said, just my 2 cents, but he's not "raping" GEICO by trying to get fair value for his car. We would all do the same. tennebrac has not tried to lie to the insurance company (thus attempting to "rape" them) or do anything dishonest, he just wants what he deserves and pays for like the rest of us.:)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

the lowered value of a car because of a wreck as a problem is specific to an individual's situation. of course, there are many of us who want to retain as much of the car's value as possible. this may sound like an asshole statement, but don't take it as one. some of us bought this car not with its value (although its one hell of a price:what u get ratio), but because of its features. i could not find another sedan that incorporated the things that the 2005 legacy did, so thats the reason i bought it. driving a loaded BMW 3 series around wouldve been pretty am boring compared to this car. what i'm trying to say is that price isn't nesecarilly a priority for some of us, and my goal as an individual is to get this car back on track and to the way it was runnning. i miss my subaru dm.gif

:D AMEN mmanus88!!! Your statement was not "assholish" in any way.:lol: I couldn't agree more about wanting to just get the car back and on the street! It's a pain to deal with. I had my '02 GT LT in the shop for just a week once when I got a minor hit in the driver's door, drove me nuts to drive a Prius for the week (not sure how that was an equivilent car according to Enterprise, but that's for a rental car topic at a later time and forum:lol:). I totally see what yer saying, each individual has their own prioritites with regards to value, I just felt like saying something in defense of tennebrac for wanting fair value cause we really don't what his plans are regarding future sale of the car (or if there even were any:)). I hope your GT comes back as good as new and I look forward to hearing from both of you in regards to how it runs/looks: now vs. before. Side note: just wanted to say I'm glad we have people on here willing to have intellectual discussions without getting po'ed and uptight about disagreements or different point of views:D

Archived