LegacyGT.com

LGT--6 days new, 230 miles, WRECKED!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see that it's put back together. I can tell the slight difference in paint color on the drivers side doors...but it's not that bad. I bet most won't be able to tell. Glad to see that you are back on the road as well...the mental trauma associated with an accident is definately disheartening...and getting back on the road is one of the best ways to overcome the fear. Good luck, and take care!

Re AIRBAGS: They deploy in a blink of an eye. I didn't feel the airbags hitting on my face (curtain airbag) and side/back (seat airbag) as much as I felt the heat. The gasses that make them expand generate a lot of heat. I had a red mark on my side and 1/2 my face was red like sunburn for a couple of days after the accident. The curtain airbag briefly expanded out well into my field of vision as I was spinning around and I was thinking WTF is this thing in my face? The airbags empty just as quickly as they fill. When I bought the car I glossed over the safety stuff--"ok, it has side and seat airbags...whatever". Afterwards, obviously, I was thinking "those damn things saved my life".

Re COLOR: Yeah, I noticed that. I think it is from clear-coating. They really put it on thick on the accident side and gives the silver a tiny bit of a golden tint in reflection. I actually like it better but of course the car should be all one shade. This weekend I'm going to wax the non-accident side and see what that does. It should help to stablize the reflection. If it still is not suitable then the body shop can wet sand it down again.

• 11 months later...

So... was it determined here that the side airbag does not come out of the A-Pillar?? It sounded like tennebrac said much ealier in the post. Has anybody removed the A-Pillar to check it out. I'm asking because I'm considering mounting a gauge at the bottom of mine.

ps. sorry bout the wrech dude... I've been there with my old car and I know I'd be real upset if it were to happen with this one

So... was it determined here that the side airbag does not come out of the A-Pillar?? It sounded like tennebrac said much ealier in the post. Has anybody removed the A-Pillar to check it out. I'm asking because I'm considering mounting a gauge at the bottom of mine.

ps. sorry bout the wrech dude... I've been there with my old car and I know I'd be real upset if it were to happen with this one

Search. IT IS SAFE to mount gauge on the bottom of A-pillar cover.

Wow... to me it's stunning how well the LGT held up! Getting a hit from a Dodge Ram at 15-20mph is quite a force, but the side of the car didn't collapse at all, just flattened a bit.

Kudos to Subaru on designing a very safe vehicle.

I totalled a 5 month old WRX with no glass broken and no airbags deployed. I got hit by a guy running a red light and he hit me just at the front corner of the car and spun me like a top. His truck continued for another 100 feet after losing it's front wheel. Fortunately no one was hurt. The car didn't look that bad, but there was a lot of damage. They stopped counting the repair costs at $17k. Also, most insurance companies will not repair a car if there is more than 60% or so damage.

the good news here is that no one got hurt.

Dude almost the same exact thing happened to my with my 4 month old WRX. The only difference was the guy in front of me got hit by the guy running the red light and that guy spun like a top and smacked into me. Four cars in all got totaled in that fiasco.

Yep, the side airbag is in the b-pillar. It shot out then straightened and covered both windows on the driver's side completely which is good since it kept most of the glass from the inside of the car. It also burned my ear when it went off, but all things considered, I can overlook that.

The car looks pretty good. Most people can't tell something happened to it.

The other driver's insurance company ponied up $6K for diminished value with the calculation being based upon the difference between wholesale value and retail and a whole lot of arguing on my part and threats to sue (I'm a lawyer).

Carfax doesn't know anything about it either.

B

Awesome. I am glad you got $6k for the diminished value.

Geico just like any other insurance company will try to proctect themselves, but they are well known to trick you into signing papers or recording phone conversations via phone about the car accidents WHICH YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY A WORD to their representative.

Auto Insurance companies will use whatever you say or sign against you and people have to know that you do not have to say anything or give anything to them. I learned this the hard way back in high school, when I had my first car accident.

Unless you know the law YOU NEED professional legal help.

Free advice from your friends or family who are not lawyers or experts in law will do more harm than help.

Always remember that you do not have to disclose any information to anyone about the accident, especially the other car insurance company or the driver of that car.

Archived