LegacyGT.com

5th Gen production numbers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to get back on track for a moment...

I checked with an acquaintance at SOA, and got the production numbers for 2010 through 2012 Legacy 2.5i 6MT Premium Sedans:

2010 - 700

2011 - 900

2012 - 1200

I find this curious, as the trend in sales figures is opposite from the LGT in the same years - but the trend is not nearly as drastic... I would be curious to know the reason. Could the rise in 2012 be partially caused by the knowledge that the 6MT would only be available in the base model Legacy, in 2013?

Best.

Byll

I find this curious, as the trend in sales figures is opposite from the LGT in the same years - but the trend is not nearly as drastic... I would be curious to know the reason. Could the rise in 2012 be partially caused by the knowledge that the 6MT would only be available in the base model Legacy, in 2013?

Best.

Byll

There's zero chance I'd consider the 2.5i just because the GT wasn't available anymore and the 2.5i was the only manual option to me.

Would be shopping for a totally different car.

It's because the lgt sat on dealer lots forever and 2.5 with 6mt sold. That's why production numbers are like that. I know my car was made in sept of 2009 and sat on the lot till may 13 2011. That owner kept it 11 months and put 11k miles on it. I bought it may 16 2012.

So 1900 total. No wonder we all know each other on the forum. No wonder why they stopped making them. It sucks but that's one of the reasons I love my car. The only other one I've seen is a member on here when we met for lunch. It's sad that taking the gt away suddenly makes them desirable. Reminds me of the supra. They only became valuable after they stopped making them.

I think one of the reasons these are so rare is because Subaru only offered them with a manual. If Subaru had given a nice, paddle-shifted automatic, it would have sold a lot better. Also, a Legacy GT Wagon like the one sold in Japan would have been nice.

I drove 2013's with my dad, and although we thought both were great, we both agreed that the 3.6R was too front-heavy and the 2.5i was down on power. The GT with the automatic transmission would have been the perfect car for my dad. Quite unfortunate, I think.

3.6R = auto GT

SOA probably didn't want to deal with people modding auto GTs and killing the trans.

Subaru needed to make this car a budget 535i and it would have sold better. Most people drove them and were probably turned off by the soft suspension, excessive body roll, flat seats and cable shifted transmission with the electric parking brake. Hence the reason they sat on dealer lots. The people that wanted a awd car to mod snatched them up. Unfortunately that was only a couple thousand people.

3.6R = auto GT

SOA probably didn't want to deal with people modding auto GTs and killing the trans.

Eh, the rest of the world gets an auto GT (would be curious to see those production numbers compared to manual sales in the rest of the world), so I don't think that was SOA's motive. I think it had more to do with meeting new CAFE MPG standards that they didn't offer an auto GT in the U.S.. Hopefully they transfer the technology from the DIT LGT over to the U.S. and offer one with a CVT, which would help combat the MPG issue.

I know except for mostly the engine and tranny that the 3.6 and GT are basically the same car, but having owned both I can say they are two very, very different driving experiences.

Seeing how the big three (Audi, BMW, Merc) are using turbo's more and more, I don't think we'll see the end of turbo subie's, I predict just the opposite. Maybe they won't be 300hp, but I can definitely see in 5yrs a 1.6T making around 200hp and getting pretty good mileage at the same time.

Could the rise in 2012 be partially caused by the knowledge that the 6MT would only be available in the base model Legacy, in 2013?

I think it could be correct that dealers stocked up on them if they were going be discontinued. I bought my '12 Premium after the '13 were coming in. I purposely wanted a premium. On July 2nd I did an inventory of all the dealers in MA for 6MT and i look through my notes their were 12 2012 premium 6MT. IMO that is lot of cars in just MA if the total sales was only 1200 for the year.

I wonder if the base 2.5i sales were similar to the premium sales and Subaru just combined them to save money. 1000 cars of production is not a lot especially if the profit margin is low. Subaru did not discontinue the premium 6mt outback which has higher profit margin and the outback line has higher sales.

Eh, the rest of the world gets an auto GT (would be curious to see those production numbers compared to manual sales in the rest of the world), so I don't think that was SOA's motive. I think it had more to do with meeting new CAFE MPG standards that they didn't offer an auto GT in the U.S.. Hopefully they transfer the technology from the DIT LGT over to the U.S. and offer one with a CVT, which would help combat the MPG issue.

I know except for mostly the engine and tranny that the 3.6 and GT are basically the same car, but having owned both I can say they are two very, very different driving experiences.

Seeing how the big three (Audi, BMW, Merc) are using turbo's more and more, I don't think we'll see the end of turbo subie's, I predict just the opposite. Maybe they won't be 300hp, but I can definitely see in 5yrs a 1.6T making around 200hp and getting pretty good mileage at the same time.

Yeah, but how much of that driving experience was the difference in transmissions (and tires)? I looked up auto GT performance in other countries and its almost identical to the 3.6.

I just think its silly to discount the 3.6R but say you 'would have bought an auto GT'.

Well that's what I'm saying, most of that dif is the transmission (and the engine). The 2.5GT produces WAAAAAAY more torque from idle than than the 3.6r ever could, even stock vs stock. The 3.6r is obviously more responsive in that there is no turbo lag, however, they made the throttle response slow as hell (you hit the pedal and a second later, the engine responds), probably to allow old people to drive it without crashing :lol:. It's actually really annoying. The car feels like it has so much potential, but they tuned it to be very easy to drive and very smooth, not fast.

The metrics aren't that close either between the two, a full second difference in their 0-60's (however, a lot of that could be the transmission, since the GT hits 60mph right at the end of 2nd gear perfectly, whereas the 3.6r's gearing is much longer). Sometimes I wonder how much of a difference it would make to have equipped the 3.6 with a 6spd with ratios similar to the GT.

If my choice were between an auto GT and an auto 3.6r, I'd take the GT without question. One of the major reasons I got the 3.6r was because I was tired of driving stick in LA.

The 3.6r is obviously more responsive in that there is no turbo lag, however, they made the throttle response slow as hell (you hit the pedal and a second later, the engine responds), probably to allow old people to drive it without crashing :lol:.

Surely there has got to be someone who can get into the ECU on that puppy and make some changes to the throttle position sensor inputs on the engine management map.

Surely there has got to be someone who can get into the ECU on that puppy and make some changes to the throttle position sensor inputs on the engine management map.

There is actually A LOT of R&D that goes into cracking an ECU, and since very few companies (read: no one) is really interested in providing any kind of aftermarket support for the 3.6r, I highly doubt that will ever happen. It'd be great if it did, but seeing how it's been out for 4+yrs now, I don't think it will.

Yes there are throttle controllers, but all that does is intercept the accelerator pedal position signal to make the car think you're giving say 70% throttle when you're only pushing it 40%. Doesn't do anything to actually increase the responsiveness of the throttle input.

It's so bad that I've gotten in the habit of anticipating the lag. When I finish braking into a corner, I immediately go straight back on the gas, because by the time the car responds and accelerates, it will be exiting the corner. It can be a little scary because you have to trust that that lag will occur. I'm more used to very fine, responsive, and precise throttle control from motorcycle racing, so it really goes against every instict I have to drive it that way.

The metrics aren't that close either between the two, a full second difference in their 0-60's (however, a lot of that could be the transmission, since the GT hits 60mph right at the end of 2nd gear perfectly, whereas the 3.6r's gearing is much longer). Sometimes I wonder how much of a difference it would make to have equipped the 3.6 with a 6spd with ratios similar to the GT.

If my choice were between an auto GT and an auto 3.6r, I'd take the GT without question. One of the major reasons I got the 3.6r was because I was tired of driving stick in LA.

Yeah, but in the ROW, the auto GT takes 6.3 seconds to hit 62, so it might as well be a wash. Aside from mod-ability I just wonder if there is any realistic difference in the performance of the two.

I love stick, but I can't imagine it in LA. My last time in LA I got stuck with a rental town car. At least it was comfy sitting in traffic :lol:

I understand what you are saying. I used to ride sport bikes too (not on track) and my last performance oriented car was a 250hp, 2300lb n/a 240z. Those straight 6's are torque monsters and with a light flywheel it was amazing how responsive it could be at all revs. Very precise in a corner. It has taken me a little while to get used to a turbo powerband and I know the GT is not as bad as some, but I really need to get an AP. Sucks on the support for mods on the 3.6. It deserves someone to crack it's secrets, there are a hoard of enthusiasts that would jump on some improvement.

I understand what you are saying. I used to ride sport bikes too (not on track) and my last performance oriented car was a 250hp, 2300lb n/a 240z. Those straight 6's are torque monsters and with a light flywheel it was amazing how responsive it could be at all revs. Very precise in a corner. It has taken me a little while to get used to a turbo powerband and I know the GT is not as bad as some, but I really need to get an AP. Sucks on the support for mods on the 3.6. It deserves someone to crack it's secrets, there are a hoard of enthusiasts that would jump on some improvement.

Get a protune and you can almost say goodbye to turbo lag.

Updated Production Numbers for 2010MY, 2011MY, 2012MY Legacy's.

• 32,600 - Total 10MY Legacy sold

• 30,033 – Total 10MY 2.5i Models
    • 1,156 – Total 10MY 3.6R Models
    • 1,411 - Total 10MY GT's sold
      • 1,045 - # of model code AAH (LGT Limited)
      • 366 - # of model code AAG (LGT Premium)

Total LGT Legacy 10MY by color:

Black = 260

Blue = 187

Gray = 279

Red = 170

Silver = 319

White = 196

Total = 1,411

Total LGT 10MY (AAH Limited) by color:

Black = 195

Blue = 130

Gray = 199

Red = 130

Silver = 241

White = 150

Total = 1,045

Total LGT 10MY (AAG Premium) by color:

Black = 65

Blue = 57

Gray = 80

Red = 40

Silver = 78

White = 46

Total = 366

• 49,756 - Total 11MY Legacy
    • 45,450 – Total 11MY 2.5i Models (2 remain in dealer inventory)
    • 4,006 – Total 11MY 3.6R Models
    • 300 - Total 11MY GT's Models

• 35,884 - Total 12MY Legacy
    • 33,109 – Total 12MY 2.5i Models (678 remain in dealer inventory)
    • 2,548 – Total 12MY 3.6R Models (212 remain in dealer inventory)
    • 227 - Total 12MY GT's Models (2 remain in dealer inventory)

Note: The dip you see in 2012 MY is a direct result of the disaster in Japan last March.

Only U.S. Lower 48 ... does not include Canada or overseas.

Updated Production Numbers for 2010MY, 2011MY, 2012MY Legacy's.

• 32,600 - Total 10MY Legacy sold

• 30,033 – Total 10MY 2.5i Models
    • 1,156 – Total 10MY 3.6R Models
    • 1,411 - Total 10MY GT's sold
      • 1,045 - # of model code AAH (LGT Limited)
      • 366 - # of model code AAG (LGT Premium)

Total LGT Legacy 10MY by color:

Black = 260

Blue = 187

Gray = 279

Red = 170

Silver = 319

White = 196

Total = 1,411

Total LGT 10MY (AAH Limited) by color:

Black = 195

Blue = 130

Gray = 199

Red = 130

Silver = 241

White = 150

Total = 1,045

Total LGT 10MY (AAG Premium) by color:

Black = 65

Blue = 57

Gray = 80

Red = 40

Silver = 78

White = 46

Total = 366

• 49,756 - Total 11MY Legacy
    • 45,450 – Total 11MY 2.5i Models (2 remain in dealer inventory)
    • 4,006 – Total 11MY 3.6R Models
    • 300 - Total 11MY GT's Models

• 35,884 - Total 12MY Legacy

Note: The dip you see in 2012 MY is a direct result of the disaster in Japan last March.

Only U.S. Lower 48 ... does not include Canada or overseas.

Any chance of getting '11 and '12's broken down by color?

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

35,884 - Total 12MY Legacy

So it sounds like you can answer the question "who got the last LGT" - can you get the last 6 numbers in the VIN from the first and last 2012 LGT?

Any chance of getting '11 and '12's broken down by color?

Sorry, don't want to wear out my welcome ... if you know what I mean. I was very happy to get this data, and don't want to burden my friend by asking for more at this time. ;)

Archived