LegacyGT.com

iON Performance Springs - The 'Goldilocks' street setup

Triple Digits

While my Baja-T is a previous generation Legacy, I must say that I was very happy to deal with Jack at ION. Baja suspensions upgrades are few and far between, let alone having two spring choices from ION.

I currently have their sport springs installed. These lowered my Baja a little over 2 inches, combined with the use of KYB G2 housings. The car is level and ride quality is good for daily commuting. ION is sending me a set of their super sport springs that will lower my front another 30mm (~ 1") which should give me a little rake down in the front.

18" Forester STI wheels:

http://www.icstew.com/baja/suspension/profile.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So these iON springs actually seem better matched to the stock struts than the stock springs?

To me, it feels like the stock shocks are underdamped anyway, so I have a bit of a hard time believing the iONs help the matter.

But I welcome all you iON-equipped owners to tell me otherwise. :)

How does impact harshness compare? What about relatively sharp, perpendicular bumps at freeway speeds? (like expansion joints or frost heaves) That's one area where I think the stock shocks always seem to not have firm enough rebound...

So these iON springs actually seem better matched to the stock struts than the stock springs?

To me, it feels like the stock shocks are underdamped anyway, so I have a bit of a hard time believing the iONs help the matter.

But I welcome all you iON-equipped owners to tell me otherwise. :)

How does impact harshness compare? What about relatively sharp, perpendicular bumps at freeway speeds? (like expansion joints or frost heaves) That's one area where I think the stock shocks always seem to not have firm enough rebound...

Even without them being fully settled or aligned they feel wayyy more sport than stock while keeping all the comfort. I havent noticed any harshness even over big bumps.

The rear of the Baja is a little bouncy, not sure how the rear spring setup compares on a '00-'04 Legacy. Oddly, the Baja is based on the sedan of those model years and not the wagon/outback.

I am running 45 series 18s. The stock 65 series 16s could hit the potholes and not think twice. I haven't run the stock tires with this setup to compare. Expansion joints are not harsh but places where they have scraped up the blacktop for resurfacing and failed to make a smooth transition back up to the rest of the road can be harsh, but that may also be the tires.

Keep the reviews coming, the more the better, I'm hoping to get in on the ION Springs GB.:) It looks like these springs will get rid of most of the floating at high speeds on the Leggy GT while keeping the comfort. AARGH!:mad: I can't wait to get these springs, every review makes me want them even more.

I have had the springs installed (not yet aligned) for over a week now. The car is lower but not slammed there are still small gaps in the rear and maybe 1" in the fronts. The car rides like stock except over large bumps where you can feel it in the rear, otherwise very streetable. It corners much better than stock. Body roll is significantly reduced, as is nose lifting and diving when accelerating or decelerating. All in all a good buy. Below are some pics today after I washed the car. (I also have a "M" rear lip spoiler, tints, debadging and have my calipers painted black.)

PW05LGT1.JPG.c1c5b02de5b6f58bab6285486d0e7bc8.JPG

PW05LGT2.JPG.5a375e3467522747f4b9bcb4717b971c.JPG

PW05LGT3.JPG.584ff61721eac61046be51f932136bb7.JPG

PW05LGT4.JPG.e59a5608b03d04f598472726f7a71d43.JPG

PW05LGT5.JPG.e44dd6e288538014a54c1509b556442f.JPG

I am not an expert car guy. That being said, my car, with the iONs, is as fast as balls. It holds the road so much that I fear for my mortality. It's so much faster with the iON springs, people. Maybe coilovers are the uber-hot ticket; I don't know. With the iONS, the car holds the road like a mofo (very technical racing term), the longitudinal and latitudinal oscillations are significantly dampened, and there is a real chance for world peace. Get 'em and feel your pulse go through the roof.

Downside: Ok, we're talking NYC, probably worst roads in the world; on occasion, traversing a trully horrific expansion crack or pothole, the car bounces more violently than with the stock springs. I will sooooooo take this tradeoff. The car seems to plant its ass on high g curves. and say, bring it on, ya former weoble. There's no wobble, ya dweeb. This is the language the car now uses. I tried to wash her mouth out with soap, but she's simply too fast. She said, "I can handle curves you can't. Get to a driver's school.

The springs make a dramatic, significant, and extemely pleasant change. and Jack is a jelluva dude.

I have had the springs installed (not yet aligned) for over a week now. The car is lower but not slammed there are still small gaps in the rear and maybe 1" in the fronts. The car rides like stock except over large bumps where you can feel it in the rear, otherwise very streetable. It corners much better than stock. Body roll is significantly reduced, as is nose lifting and diving when accelerating or decelerating. All in all a good buy. Below are some pics today after I washed the car. (I also have a "M" rear lip spoiler, tints, debadging and have my calipers painted black.)

OMG...OMG..She looks gorgeous. Can't wait to get mine...:D Nice little touch with the trunk lip looks awesome too.

Sorry to go off topic, but if you don't mind deimos, where did you get your rear spoilers? They look really nice.

Thanks colat, the rear lip spoiler came on my car when I got it from the dealership, it was a demo. They told me that it was a lip spoiler off of an M3 (altho I think it may be off of an M5, not most recent one). It is the perfect spoiler IMHO, far better than stock, and likely much cheaper than the STi version. So likely just find an "M" spoiler new or used and have it painted your car colour :)

The car is great, so are the springs. Enjoy!!!

ps: also forgot to mention in my mini-review as a previous poster said, the car feels faster now, you can actually feel more of the accelration and speed as the car is more hooked up to the ground, especially when on the highway. dm.gif

So many of the reviews point to the abilities of the Ion springs to match or surpass the planted feelings of an M5 or S4, but what about the ride quality side? If you were to just be driving along on the highway, would there be a discernable difference compared to stock? Or is the sporting nature of the springs only apparent when you start compressing the suspension beyond the avg bumps, like you would under aggressive driving?

Just trying to get a feel for them when driven under normal conditions. Exactly how much am I giving up in suppleness compared to the stockers?

So many of the reviews point to the abilities of the Ion springs to match or surpass the planted feelings of an M5 or S4, but what about the ride quality side? If you were to just be driving along on the highway, would there be a discernable difference compared to stock? Or is the sporting nature of the springs only apparent when you start compressing the suspension beyond the avg bumps, like you would under aggressive driving?

Just trying to get a feel for them when driven under normal conditions. Exactly how much am I giving up in suppleness compared to the stockers?

IMHO under 99% of normal driving conditions the springs feel as comfy as stock. When going fast on the highway over bigger bumps you can feel that the rear is stiffer but still not spine-jarring at all. Otherwise they are an optimal setup for stock comfort with sports handling.

IMHO under 99% of normal driving conditions the springs feel as comfy as stock. When going fast on the highway over bigger bumps you can feel that the rear is stiffer but still not spine-jarring at all. Otherwise they are an optimal setup for stock comfort with sports handling.

Thanks deimos! Pretty much what I was hoping for!

If you were to just be driving along on the highway, would there be a discernable difference compared to stock? Or is the sporting nature of the springs only apparent when you start compressing the suspension beyond the avg bumps, like you would under aggressive driving?

To answer your question a bit better. On the highway there is a more connected feel, you can sense the speed and acceleration a lot more than stock (almost prevents the <speedo-glance> "WTF Im going 120?!?!"). Highway comfort is like stock except as I mentiond you feel (bigger) bumps more, but still comfortable. Youll feel the improvement the moment you get in the car and turn the wheel :)

Deimos- Do you think a sway bar would be necessary or do the springs firm up the ride and balance enough that the stock sways can be left alone?

ps- my iON's are on order thru the GB. -Can't wait.

Deimos- Do you think a sway bar would be necessary or do the springs firm up the ride and balance enough that the stock sways can be left alone?

ps- my iON's are on order thru the GB. -Can't wait.

To tell you the truth I havent flogged it hard enough to know yet as I need to get my alignment. I figure itll be great as is. (I am not an expert), someone who got the GB with me may have just installed a rear sway (jedd or ralli maybe??). Also saw a thread with a rear sway for $69 USD. Ill likely leave mine stock.

heh --- here's a good example of as much body roll as i could possibly get out of my car with new springs and the JDM sway bar. (plus 250 extra pounds in passengers)

-more than I was expecting, but still much better than before.

Oh, and the understeer is still very present. I really need to find a way to get rid of some.

IMG_2255.jpg.f24426facecd081379d4ecdca49eaafe.jpg

Rallispec-

Springs, a bigger sway and still too much understeer while cornering at the limit, eh?

I guess it would be even more present if you didn't have the JDM sway?

more oversteer than i had before I installed the sway bar - but still a ton of understeer..

I'm sure that if i were a better driver, i could probably make up for it with better driving style and squeeze some oversteer out of the car.

But being new to the driving my car at the limit thing, I'm still just trying to figure out the basics of getting around the course quickly.

more oversteer than i had before I installed the sway bar - but still a ton of understeer..

I'm sure that if i were a better driver, i could probably make up for it with better driving style and squeeze some oversteer out of the car.

But being new to the driving my car at the limit thing, I'm still just trying to figure out the basics of getting around the course quickly.

Talk to Keefe for pointers (Xenonk)

Talk to Keefe for pointers (Xenonk)

word.

actually i was hoping he would make it out to this past event for that exact reason. I've gotten to ride around with him before and it really makes a difference being in the car with someone who knows what they're doing vs. trying to figure it out yourself.

Archived