LegacyGT.com

iON Performance Springs - The 'Goldilocks' street setup

Triple Digits

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be interested to know what the 'before' and 'after' specs are on the alignment. Hopefully, marking the camber bolts does make a difference for those of us who need to cheat for a bit. ;)

While I can't provide you the after-install numbers directly, the comment was made (unprompted) that it was 'almost on' after the installlation, much more so than anticipated in fact.

A week or so later IMO the has a perfect stance. Even front to back and not too low. I live in Cleveland and need to drive through the four letter word SNOW so I need some clearance. With the Ions It'll be fine. Jack, I feel like an ION Cheerleader. Do I get a uniform or something? LOL

does the car have a raked, neutral, or sqautting stance after install and settle?

My opinion would be that the car visually appears neutral, but there is just enough actual rake (about a quarter inch) to limit the amout of air getting under the car and improve high speed DF without compromising our CD.

That is what I was hoping/thinking based on the stats. Glad to hear this fits with "real life" outcome.

If all goes well with the current GB... mine will be on the first part of Sept.

Thanks Triple D

How will the wagons sit if the backs were fully loaded with gear? Let's say, if I were to carry home a few dozen boxes from Ikea, a big TV, etc.. would that fully compress the shocks?

How will the wagons sit if the backs were fully loaded with gear? Let's say, if I were to carry home a few dozen boxes from Ikea, a big TV, etc.. would that fully compress the shocks?

If the spring rates are higher than stock wouldn't it compress less than the stock springs regardless?

We have a 5EAT sedan and 5EAT wagon application specifically as well.

(In your best Foghorn-Leghorn) Who - I say who else cares enough to give you different setups for turbo and NA versions of 5MT Sedan, 5MT Wagon, 5EAT Sedan, and 5EAT Wagon?

Others may ship you a t-shirt, but if I wanted a t-shirt I'd have gone to the damn GAP...

(Did you say STi in your best Foghorn Leghorn? That almost sounded kinda like a Maryland accent from up here... :lol: )

The serious question I'm asking (because I don't know) is that does STi show that love for the North American-equipped market or do you need to swap in additional JDM goodies like you did?

They don't officially offer the parts here yet, unfortunately. Many have run the STi springs to good effect on the USDM dampers. While not perfectly matched (note more drop than on JDM dampers), they are a big improvment from the std. US springs. Heck, the std. springs that come on the Spec B Bilsteins I got are an improvement.

<---- no MD accent here. Never lived there, nor plan to. :D

Triple D, do you have any pics of your ride from the side that are closer? front? I'm really close to jumping on the group buy. My main concern is how close is the area inside the wheelwell. I'll be sticking with stock 17''s cause we get alot of snow up here and snow builds up and freeze in that area. It would be hard to keep it free of snow if there isn't much room.

Triple D, do you have any pics of your ride from the side that are closer? front? I'm really close to jumping on the group buy. My main concern is how close is the area inside the wheelwell. I'll be sticking with stock 17''s cause we get alot of snow up here and snow builds up and freeze in that area. It would be hard to keep it free of snow if there isn't much room.

Yes I do, but they wouldn't do you as much good as you grabbing the old Stanley or Lufkin power lock tape measure and measuring up 4 1/2 inches from the top of your rim to where the fender will be.

http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/statusicon/post_old.gif 07-17-2005 , 10:01 PM

Stock measurements from the top of the stock rim to the fender:

5 & 5/8” Front, 5 & 3/4” Rear

Three days after installation measurements were –

4 ½” Front, 4 ¾” Rear

Seriously, you either end up with a shadow on the tire from the fender, or you wash out the everything flashing to try to light up the inside of the fenderwell. Either way is far from perfect. Just go measure and then decide for yourself.

I won't kid you, you do loose a portion of your snow fighter abilities when you lower. Maybe you might be able to wade through 14 inches of virgin snow stock - the more you drop the more snow you'll be trying to push in front of you, and the more you drop, the sooner you'll reach the point where there will be enough underneath you, in conjunction with what you are pushing in front of you, so that it will begin to affect your traction.

I lived in northern Maine for years, and I commuted 90 miles a day for the better part of the past 7 years to get the train into Manhattan from the snow belt portion of Northwestern CT on H&R Sport Springs and my experience leaves me confident that these won't present a problem.

They very likely won't present a problem for you either. Look, these things are designed by guys in Vancouver BC for crying out loud*, and face it, if you really got out before the plows that often you'd be pushing an OBXT or a Forrester and not a Legacy.

*Edit: as noted below, Jack reminded me that they are in Calgary, and get more snow than Vancouver

Triple Digits - correction, it's actually Calgary, Alberta, Canada ;) We get ALOT more snow then in Vancouver ;) We've actually had some testing in the deep woods here in Alberta as well as Quebec. No problems with becoming an uber expensive snowplow :cool:

Arrgh! Forgot!

(Got confused with the port of entry... all the garbage with the DHL tracking must've got me turned around. ;) )

Oh well, thanks for the fact-check Jack.

Now when are you getting that web site cleaned up?

My springs were installed yesterday. They havent completely settled yet, the one rear tire where it looks settled is a perfect drop but well see how the rest ends up. I havent gotten to flog it yet but I can tell right off the bat that these springs make a night and day difference in how solid and planted the car is. I cant wait till theyre settled and aligned the onramps here I come!

Ill post a review once all is said and done.

Archived