LegacyGT.com

What is this button for?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, no idea what that button does in either of your cars. That seems to be the JDM/AUDM version of this button of unknown purpose in a few US cars recently:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187005

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173381

Neither of those posters gave an update, raising the possibility that it is a self-destruct button.

You're going to have to get behind the dash and trace the wires to find your answer, unless you have a line on the previous owner. Good luck, hopefully the buttons do something cool.

Ok guys, this thread is 3 pages already without much useful input.

Now I am new to the forum, but so far I have garnered quite alot of info in this car, which I have to say is one of the most fun cars I have owned. Now mine is a JDM as well and as you can see from the pic, my car has the same button and is mounted in a similar fashion, albeit on the center panel as opposed to the panel under the steering wheel.

But I have tried quite a bit to figure out what it does, and no result. It is definitely after market. But the similar positioning as well as the identical type of button as NZLegacyGTB has me baffled as to what it can be.

So please guys, any serious ideas would be welcome...

Update.

the vent is the climate control's temperature sensor.

the button is for the factory alarm. 4th gen and up had transponder keys and factory alarm systems. It is to reset the key/ disable the alarm. i dont know the sequence though. This applies to JDM/AU/NZ market. For USDM the button is under the driver cabin.

this thread makes me laugh:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I hate to sound as if I am taking this seriously at all.........But, how about take the panel off and see where the wires(If there are any) go to.......then you can tell us what it does........Definitely looks like a previous owner added it for some reason.

Can't wait to find out....I may add one to mine too :eek:

• I Donated Too
Update.

the vent is the climate control's temperature sensor.

the button is for the factory alarm. 4th gen and up had transponder keys and factory alarm systems. It is to reset the key/ disable the alarm. i dont know the sequence though. This applies to JDM/AU/NZ market. For USDM the button is under the driver cabin.

^^^question answered by OP

I hate to sound as if I am taking this seriously at all.........But, how about take the panel off and see where the wires(If there are any) go to.......then you can tell us what it does........Definitely looks like a previous owner added it for some reason.

Can't wait to find out....I may add one to mine too :eek:

I bet is is a valet button for an alarm?

brotatoes still asking what it is^^

Hi there, new to this forum. Got a JDM Legacy GTB BP5. Pretty much learnt how to maintain it with info from this site. Thanks all.

Now to business..what is this button for???:spin:

The button and vent you see behind the wiper control. what is it for?

Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

I think I had this same button on my '99 RS, someone told me its so you can reprogram the key fob to the car but I never had to use it.

I think I had this same button on my '99 RS, someone told me its so you can reprogram the key fob to the car but I never had to use it.

Pfft.. Why would they give you a button when they could have you insert and remove the key from the ignition 35 times in a 10 second period while opening and closing the rear passenger door 6 times and closing the moonroof to do the same thing? Doesn't add up.

So if it is for reprogramming the key/fob, how does one go about doing it?

I think if you press the button while doin the seatbelt and opening the passenger side window, you will definitely work up an appetite for a roast beef sammich.

make sure the dome light is off during this process, which most people seem to be overlooking and not having success.

Archived