LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Broken lug nut..

SpecBGuy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could get a socket you don't care about & JB Weld the old lug tip into it, then see if you can get the broken-off bit out using that as a tool. You could further JB Weld the lug tip/socket combo onto the broken lug threaded onto the stud, but then you might risk having the whole assembly glued on...
Tits mcgee

Have you ever actually used jb weld. Don't get me wrong it is good stuff but it's still just a glue it has no where near the holding power to deal with that kind of force. And if you were to use and impact gun. Jb weld doesn't hold well under vibration conditions.

His best and maybe only chance to save the wheel is to drill the stud.

Uhh... yes. I've actually used JB Weld.

If you were to JB Weld the broken-off end of the lug nut into a 17mm socket, it would not come out of the socket. If you doubt JB Weld, use something else. Weld it... it doesn't make any difference. It's the idea that matters. There's enough texture/shape on that broken lug nut that could give it enough to budge that installed broken piece without drilling... or maybe not. But you've lost nothing but a cheap socket in the meantime.

Tits mcgee

• Moderators

I actually think the above video may work, but also a lot of damage could end up being done. That said, try something like this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Emergency-Lug-Nut-Remover/dp/B0007N201M]Amazon.com: Emergency Lug Nut Remover: Automotive[/ame]

Other companies make them too. They're kind of like an easy-out, except they grab form the outside instead of the inside. You sort of screw it onto the lug and the back it off, but since it is set up to not be able to unscrew it should take the lug nut off with it. If it works for you there will be zero damage to the wheel or the stud.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

ive used jb weld on my 2001 civic when i cracked my oil tank saved me time and money. i also tried it on a metal that was welded but came off so i used jb weld but it would never stick. jb weld will for sure not work on this nut i dont think its strong enough and mentioned before its like metal glue.

i havent been on because its not the weekend yet and i havent tired anything. i need my car to go to work. im waiting for the weekend so that if i do damage my stud i can replace it over the weekend too.

The nut removers work great if you have the space for them. But usually on a wheel such as the op's there most likely won't be enough room the get it in over the nut.

I'd drill it out replace the stud. Then make sure that next time around who ever installs your wheels doesn't over torque them.

ive used jb weld on my 2001 civic when i cracked my oil tank saved me time and money. i also tried it on a metal that was welded but came off so i used jb weld but it would never stick. jb weld will for sure not work on this nut i dont think its strong enough and mentioned before its like metal glue.

I give up.

Have you tried using a dry socket with the broken-off piece in there & trying to grip the remaining piece with it? With some force & all other lug nuts removed, and maybe even a buddy whacking at the wheel with a mallet, it may break free.

Or you could just start drilling. That sounds fun too, with the added benefit of being destructive.

Tits mcgee

Archived