LegacyGT.com

Spec B just In!!!

nicd

[quote name='agctr']If this GT could beat a RS6, well where do I sign up as that would be something amazing to watch, let alone DO.[/quote] It's from the old bestmotoring video with an RS6 vs specB MT vs specB AT vs Caldina vs T5. Almost 16MB avi file, [url]www.chrisco.nexgenis.com/legacyvsaudi.avi[/url] looks as if it is still here. Previously discussed on this fine site [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=267&highlight=bestmotoring[/url]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of people are waiting to see how it goes with Nic. Not trying to thread hijack on my first post, but this is right on line with the topic I think. I am a new member on this board but a longtime subie enthusiast. I have been a member on NASIOC for several years. Anywho :roll: , I bought a set of BP GT-B takeoffs of very low mileage(under 50km) very similar to Nic's in anticipation of my getting an 05 GT wagon. Without a longer story to explain, I'm not getting a GT for a while and these are up for sale. I have everything Nic has but the topmounts, the seller kept him for use with his coilovers. The stock topmounts allegedly are identical. These are in the US at my house and I can ship tomorrow(figuratively speaking.) If any is interested either before or after Nic does his install drop me a line. I have them up for sale on NASIOC but someone suggested I post here. End hijack. I cant wait to hear your results too Nic. ss

Patience... I am waiting to break the car in before anything else so that I will actually be able to tell the differance. At this point what do we need to know fitment JDM vs NA and also comfort and driving impressions. The car is half way broken in so I am nearly there. if you all want me to do it faster it is 4 hours labour at the dealer at 56$ cdn per hour I will doument all with pics and videos and you can give me your contributions on my Paypal account :wink:

[quote]At this point what do we need to know fitment JDM vs NA and also comfort and driving impressions.[/quote] That would do it for me. We don't mean to pester but the results could be significant for those of us exploring performance enhancements. The fact that they are factory parts is hugely appealing. My suspicion is that they will a bit stiff and that the standard Japanese GT suspension might be a better compromise. Hope I'm wrong. Tom

[quote name='WRXTom']My suspicion is that they will a bit stiff and that the standard Japanese GT suspension might be a better compromise. Tom[/quote] My only thoughts about the GT suspension is you wont get the Bilstein struts. They IMO are the real prize of this setup. ss edit: sorting that quote syntax out.

[quote name='subysouth'][quote name='WRXTom']My suspicion is that they will a bit stiff and that the standard Japanese GT suspension might be a better compromise. Tom[/quote] My only thoughts about the GT suspension is you wont get the Bilstein struts. They IMO are the real prize of this setup. ss edit: sorting that quote syntax out.[/quote] It's my understanding that JDM gets Bilsteins on the GT and the Spec B suspensions. They just might be different Bilsteins.

[quote name='SC GT'] It's my understanding that JDM gets Bilsteins on the GT and the Spec B suspensions. They just might be different Bilsteins.[/quote] Upon further research it appears you are correct. And I'll thicken the plot even more - I went out and opened the boxes and checked the PNs and mine dont match NicD's. Here are my PNs and spring paint codes: Front Right strut: 20310AG060 (03225 A066) Front Left strut: 20310AG070 (03213 A064) Front spring paint codes: Second coil down - white dab Third coil down - pink dab/lavender dab Rear Right shock: 20365AG040 (03209 A015W000) Rear Left shock: 20365AG040 (03209 A015W000) Rear spring paint codes: Second coil down - pink dab Third coil down - pink dab NicD maybe you can post your full PNs and spring paint codes for your setup. Maybe one of us has the GT setup and the other has the GT-B. The mystery deepens..... I love it. ss edit: I'm gonna guess Nic, your front spring paint codes are: white pink/green

Just some more details, apparently the Bilsteins come on 4 models of Legacy wagons: 3.0R 3.0R ADA(I have no idea what the ADA version is) 2.0GT 2.0GT spec. B And for the B4s(sedans) theyre on three models: 3.0R 2.0GT 2.0GT spec. B ss edit: ADA = Active Driving Assist

Well i think you have the Subaru part number the Bilstein code is above that the numbers that really matter on the Bilstein code are the those that have the last 4 elements that start A___ . In my case I know for a fact they are off a GT Wagon Spec B. The rear are code A016 and front A065 this refers to the valving as on the stock shocks Bilstein produce 3 differant valving set-ups. It could well be that in fact all the NA have a softer Bilstein shock. I will check out my coils to see the color code.

[quote name='nicd']Well i think you have the Subaru part number the Bilstein code is above that the numbers that really matter on the Bilstein code are the those that have the last 4 elements that start A___ . In my case I know for a fact they are off a GT Wagon Spec B. The rear are code A016 and front A065 this refers to the valving as on the stock shocks Bilstein produce 3 differant valving set-ups. It could well be that in fact all the NA have a softer Bilstein shock. I will check out my coils to see the color code.[/quote] I just checked for the numbers you are talking about and added it to the above post. My two front struts are different valving codes, if thats what they are. The right is A066 The left is A064 The rears are identical. A015 Nic if you can please post all your numbers and paint codes tto, we started a thread like this for STi takeoffs on NASIOC and it was a huge help to a lot of people. Thanks ss

Just to add more detail. I am sure about the interpretation of the codes as I actually sent pictures of the number codes to the Bilstein tech support in Germany and he sent me back the graph contained in the thread called

http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1467

here are the original pics with the numbers I will edit my posts with the color coding of the coils:

Strange that you have 2 different number for the front shock anyway I know with all our resources we will get to the bottom of this.

Both Front Coils have a white dot then followed by a green and pink dot

Both Rear coils have just 2 dots approximatly above each other Orange and Pink.

Hope that helps

628904392_ResizeofPICT0524.JPG.bf19e6552e3e6a5c24db6ebd422ebb74.JPG

1413889892_ResizeofPICT0528.JPG.8ad77aeee266b91acead6d217d023df1.JPG

Ok, so I "guessed" right about the front spring paint codes. What we are missing is the other front strut PN from your set, specifically the right front strut of your setup. I'm gonna guess again on those PNs 20310AG100 (03135 A067) ss

[quote name='subysouth']I just checked for the numbers you are talking about and added it to the above post. My two front struts are different valving codes, if thats what they are. The right is A066 The left is A064 The rears are identical. A015 [/quote] I am wondering if the different front right and left valvings are to compensate for right hand drive, versus left hand drive, and the possibility of balancing a permanent driver, but an intermittent passenger (someone is always driving, but sometimes alone.) Could affect things adversely on a LHD car... Just thinking aloud.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'] I am wondering if the different front right and left valvings are to compensate for right hand drive, versus left hand drive, and the possibility of balancing a permanent driver, but an intermittent passenger (someone is always driving, but sometimes alone.) Could affect things adversely on a LHD car... Just thinking aloud.[/quote] Anything is possible, but it would seem if they were going to do such a thing, the spring would be different instead of the strut as the spring is what sets the height and carries the weight of the car. The damper just controls unnecessary motion of the spring. The spring paint codes are identical left and right. I like a good mystery. ss

Front JDM Legacy BP Spec B Shock Info: Right Hand side 03090 A067 20310AG100 Left Hand Side 03083 A065 20310AG110 Front spring paint codes: Second coil down - white dab Third coil down - pink dab/green dab Rear JDM Legacy BP Spec B Shock Info: Right and Left hand sides same as follows: 03072A016W000 20365AG050 Rear spring paint codes: Second coil down - Orange dab Third coil down - pink dab

Archived