LegacyGT.com

Spec B just In!!!

nicd

I think the part numbers differ to indicate the Front left and Right shocks as they are directional (break line holder, spring perch). The rear ones are identical and can be swaped out for each other. I do not beleive that there is a differant valving for Left and Right. Subysouth does have the same front shock as me as in it is the Bilstein A06 shock and the rear is the A01. As for the coils the differance is somewhat dumbfounding if indeed both these are off a a GT Wagon SpecB. :?:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='nicd']I think the part numbers differ to indicate the Front left and Right shocks as they are directional (break line holder, spring perch). The rear ones are identical and can be swaped out for each other. I do not beleive that there is a differant valving for Left and Right. Subysouth does have the same front shock as me as in it is the Bilstein A06 shock and the rear is the A01. As for the coils the differance is somewhat dumbfounding if indeed both these are off a a GT Wagon SpecB. :?:[/quote] So maybe the the first three digits(A06) is for valving and the last digit is for what then? Do you still have your contact at Bilstein? Maybe they could shed some light on this? I also started another thread to get all the key info in a shorter thread. ss

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='agctr']As of yet I havent had a chance to look under the 3.0R SpecB as of yet to look at the suspension but will follow this up when I test drive to see if there are any differences.[/quote] That would be great, the more PNs and spring paint codes we can get the sooner we can sort it out. Like Nic said in the other thread, I think its looking like mine are off a GT instead of GT-B. ss

Ahhh ok great, well I will be in SoAU by the end of the week and I will see what info I can dig up. It was a bit of an ordeal to get the tranny numbers which are located on the vehicle plate under the bonnet so I can only imagine what its going to be like getting these details. Any ideas on where the numbers and details will be posted on the car? Any information would be a great help. Adam.

Nicd, if you lived near me, we'd already know if the Spec B stuff fits, and how it works. It's probably less than two hours with Ingersoll-Rand air tools (yes, I have them) to do a suspension swap on the GT. Just mark the front camber and rear toe settings, match the marks, and off you go. Kevin

I hear you all. But untill the car is broken in and I can do a real test of the car with the original suspension vs the new one I will not put them on. We know that the shocks with this coil set-up will be very hard as we have been told by many people (well some) that it is so. I guess what you all want to know is if they fit or not right! The performance is another question and I am sure it will come down to a personal thing, is it soft enough to use as a daily or not. Well that being said I will see when I can get this done. OK.

BYW, Kevin since you have the tools or even with out the tools, I still have not seen picks of the the stock shocks from our Legacies, I am curious about the diameter of the original pistons on the front shocks. Perhaps we do not know it but we actualy have Bilstein dampers already!

Car is going in for the swap (trial-swap) on the 19th. I will overseeing the whole process with the digicam. so if you have any measurment request etc now is the time.

I will also be supplying compomotive the specs to see if they have a 15" winter rim that will clear the stock caliper front and back ps if any of you want to has a go at these measurments feel free to go for it.:

841261191_compomotivedetails.jpg.89fcda95b0d1406beb674cdb25c51734.jpg

OK we tried it. [b]Yes pictures will follow[/b]! 1. The parts fit right up in typical Subaru style. So yes they fit . 2. The original shocks are not Bilstien they are the same diameter pistons as the shocks on the WRX so I think 29-30MM. 3. The top mounts are not the same (as per photos to follow) for both front and rear. 4. The coils are as expected differant color coding (Light blue lavander and yello) and the rear coils(Light blue Light blue) on the wagon contain one extra coil on the stock coils. 5. It does not appear to lower the car or reduce the wheel gap-exact measurments and pictures will of course determine this ( info to follow). but that would explain why so many JDM spec B owners swap out the coils for lowering coils! 6. Ride is stiffer :roll: as anticipated. I have not yet given it a good thrashing to be able to give an objective report on that aspect. But I did try it on a couple of on ramps and obviously you no longer have that front end push throu the corners and did notice that the body stayed flat. More to follow. having said all of this I never was able to get the car to loose grip with the stock set-up. If you have questions let me have it.

I'm interested in your observation regarding topmounts. So, to use JDM spec struts/springs you need JDM spec topmounts? Useful info for those that might be looking to buy used suspension bits. Go hit some potholes and speedbumps and let us know how it goes :) Tom

I don't know if you ever rode in a Spec C suspension on a WRX but if you have, do you think the suspension feels like that. I found it to be stiff yet able to be driven as a daily driver here in the US. A little disapointed you didn't see it lower the car any though.

[quote name='kanoswrx']I don't know if you ever rode in a Spec C suspension on a WRX but if you have, do you think the suspension feels like that. I found it to be stiff yet able to be driven as a daily driver here in the US. A little disapointed you didn't see it lower the car any though.[/quote] Not surprising, though. Subaru isn't really into lowering their cars, and the USDM car has a lowish ride height anyhow. I ran the SPT setup on my WRX, with Gp. N top mounts. It was actually more comfortable than the stock WRX setup in terms of dealing with bumps, but it wasn't what I would consider a daily driver setup. But I'm old, with a bad back. :lol: The real question about the Spec B suspension can be answered simply enough: Have a stock car follow the Spec B-equipped car, same corners, same speeds, and see what happens. Then find some nice, bumpy roads and do the same stuff. It's easy to mistake stiffer for better, as I learned from my Tein HA experience. The car can't handle better if the tires aren't making contact with the road. Kevin

Archived