LegacyGT.com

Spec B just In!!!

nicd

wtf...i honestly see no pics on page 6. I even looked at the source code for the page and it doesn't appear to have any picture links. I am using Mozilla, and even went to a machine with only IE on it and still don't see any pictures. I should at least see a broken link or something. help?! i need to seee the results after all this time! :x

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nicd, can you post your camber settings before and after? What I'm suspecting is that with the drop you gained some camber, particularly at the rear, which is what accounts for the stability enhancements you feel, and increased willingness to turn in. Fundamentally, you have gone from slight tail up, to a more level car. That vehicle will indeed exhibit a greater willingness to turn in. That was one reason that the Prodrive springs for the WRX worked so well--they leveled out the car. That they ride like the SPT setup is bad news for me. That was something I was looking to get rid of when I got out of my WRX. That, and the whole notion of feeling like I was driving an "unfinished" car. :lol: But while the SPT stuff (for me, it should be pointed out) was great for around town, and running errands, I wouldn't have taken it on a longish road trip. Thanks again for being the first one, and answering so many questions that people had about that setup. Kevin

[quote name='thatericguy']wtf...i honestly see no pics on page 6. I even looked at the source code for the page and it doesn't appear to have any picture links. I am using Mozilla, and even went to a machine with only IE on it and still don't see any pictures. I should at least see a broken link or something. help?! i need to seee the results after all this time! :x[/quote] You need to be logged in to view the pics, or else you just see the text describing the pics.

Just an FYI at 685$ you really have to take care of evrything yourself. As at that price any vendor is not going to do it as they have no profit margin to make. I doubt that you will see these in the US for much under 1000$. It is just not worth it for less than that. I also have a local contact in Japan that can get parts but, they have to advance the cash, source the part make sure it is in good condition and win the auction, then they have to store the part locally (as you also know space is at a premium in Japan, they then have to repack it to ship by post international, take care of the shipping costs plus duties. All in all that is why I think you will not see the spec B suspension offered here for the cost plus direct shipping.

[quote name='nicd']Just an FYI at 685$ you really have to take care of evrything yourself. As at that price any vendor is not going to do it as they have no profit margin to make. I doubt that you will see these in the US for much under 1000$. It is just not worth it for less than that. I also have a local contact in Japan that can get parts but, they have to advance the cash, source the part make sure it is in good condition and win the auction, then they have to store the part locally (as you also know space is at a premium in Japan, they then have to repack it to ship by post international, take care of the shipping costs plus duties. All in all that is why I think you will not see the spec B suspension offered here for the cost plus direct shipping.[/quote] Although it should be 750 US landed correct?

[quote name='gtguy'] That they ride like the SPT setup is bad news for me. That was something I was looking to get rid of when I got out of my WRX. That, and the whole notion of feeling like I was driving an "unfinished" car. :lol: But while the SPT stuff (for me, it should be pointed out) was great for around town, and running errands, I wouldn't have taken it on a longish road trip. Thanks again for being the first one, and answering so many questions that people had about that setup. Kevin[/quote] ^ same comment. I was hoping the would provide a more refined ride, aka BMW like, with increased performance, especially since they where tuned by a german comapny. My bouncy ride in my wrx with JDM STi takeoffs can get old afterwhile and I miss the ride of our bmw wagon(which handles good by the way).

Guys do not mis-understand what I am saying, I think that an un-finished ride is very stong and negative way to talk about the spec B suspension. It will at speed behave in my book better than the stock suspension, less rebound adn bounce from road holes etc. But if you are just cruising around it will not feel like you are in livingroom couch. As I said the spec b is worth getting for the dampers alone, just buy softer coils.

Oh nicd, to clarify my WRX felt like an "unfinished" car overall, as regards fit and finish. I didn't at all mean to imply that the Spec B stuff on the Legacy GT was "unfinished." Sorry about that. The WRX was just noisy, and intrusive, and just too young for me, I'm afraid. The suspension firmness thing is just a personal thing. I'm old, and want my cushiness these days. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Kevin

Kevin I know where you are comming from! The harder the ride the more noise intrusion you will get. At this point the noisiest element in the chain are the tires, plus the top hats are not the same as the stock USDM ones you will need to replace those if you want to get the spec B suspension in, the JDM ones have less padding thus more noise.

Well regarding the review, there is not much else to say than what has already been said. The car does handle better under hard cornering braking. The suspension is less compliant-coils are shorter than stock and are stiffer. The shocks are quite fast and potholes and speed bumps are easily handeled by the shocks. The ride is harder than the stock ride. There is alittle more road noise. The parts fit. To be frank unless you want a more hard edge ride do not switch. If you are wanting to get rid of some of the understeer and want less wallow and want a faster follow throu from the rear then switch or start looking at some of the other bits ie swaybar,links. But this car I think is not as easy to improve as the WRX. I feel that for a GT it is very well sorted out of the box. PS do reme,ber that the suspension up-grade was done on a fairly sticky rubber. Thats about it.

Thanks very much nicd, this has been very informative. It sounds like the spec B suspension is actually what I'm looking for. I'm still not sure if I were to get the Spec-B suspension, if I would need JDM top hats or not though. Will the USDM top hats work, or do we not know that yet?

From looking at the sides of the top mounts they do look a little different. It looks to be that the strut piston tops might be different, would have been able to tell right away if they were interchangeable if we had a side by side shot of the piston tops and the threaded section. But in my case I would rather just buy spec b take offs with the tops already attached, makes installs much much quicker and easier.

To be on the safe side get the JDM specB top hats. PS the coils are compressed so just bare that in-mind for the ease of install. But I doubt from what I saw that we can use our regular USDM top hats.

I beleive and this is just a thought that the piston will not fit porperly into the USDM tophat, you would have to take them apart to check which you should only do if you have clamps to keep the coils compressed but if you look at the pictures the spec B top hat is larger where the part of the shaft comes to rest. I could be wrong but from a quick observation that is what I can see.

1086600193_TopHat.jpg.9b22123d3fc77da9dc0b1dfa8a2a5374.jpg

Archived