LegacyGT.com

Do you want to see some real performance with an LGT?

• Mega Users

OP, congrats on being a severely boring SOB. My mpg reads 17.4. I could get it much higher if I wanted to, but if that was my priority I would have bought a different car. If you have to concentrate your entire commute on keeping your mpg up, you bought the wrong car.

This is equally as retarded as trying to get hp out of an N/A 2.5.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C&D brought a base Corvette and spanked the living hell out of the field. Some of the built and tuned rice would have cost a customer over $90k (combined- one check for the car, one check for the speed shop) and they couldn't touch the stock Vette. I don't think it was a complete shutout, one car may have beaten the Vette in one place (0-60, 1/4, skidpad, braking?) but nobody was even close for a lap. It was also the only car that hadn't voided its warranty.

Yeah... but how many MPG did it get?

Tits mcgee

Every Evo and STI in the whole world???

Nope, just the extremely modified Evos and STis that thought they were hot stuff from the valley. They were all proven wrong by a Legacy wagon, and an automatic to boot. Doc's car is no joke and he is a pretty dang good driver as well.

• 3 months later...

Also curious about how close you follow people, uphill slowing, tire pressure. taped off body lines, i bet the turbo never hits boost. or is incapable probably ate a rock chewed the impellers enough to let air by without restricting flow.

Im just glad people who want mileage still know enough to buy efficient vehicles that always get good mpg not vehicles that need to be coasted in neutral with the engine off creating many hazards to themselves and others.

Personally i get 22mpg. 65mi RT mostly highway at 68mph around 2400rpm. hmm maybe i can make a diverter for exhaust gases to pass by the turbo hmm. ideas.

Something is wrong, or you're not driving like a typical grandma, or you're driving mostly city/traffic.

LOL. Your right it is a mix of city and highway, but I've been trying hard to stay out of boost, not drive fast etc and it seems like this is the best i can come up with.

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Just give in to the dark side... it is more fun and puts a smile on your face every time. What does getting 25+ mpg do for you? Saves $2 every time you fill up. $2 doesn't make me smile unless I'm at Chippendales.

Fixed.

I can't imagine driving my car in such a docile manner just to save a few bucks at the pump. It would probably only equate to about $100-$200 a year which I'll happily spend to drive my car without my eyes on the gas guage all the time.

like many others said here before me, the op neglected to describe how he is getting the mpg other than change in tire size. i get 24 mpg in summer (85-100 temp), 22-23 in winter (15-40 temp) with rom raider tune (2-3 more lbs. boost) and stock tires. 70% highway at 75-80 mph. i know my cold start up map is way rich. i myself try to stay out of boost but when i am at a traffic light and i can't stand following others i get into it. i also get into it when on freeway on ramps. i would love to get the mpg the op is getting. i want to know what the op did modification wise to get that mpg besides the tires. tires alone will not make that much difference. anyone else agree??

Sharp- I'd worry about not getting econobox mileage if I'd bought an econobox, which I didn't (would any of you part adders here get upset if you got shut down by a Ferrari?). There isn't a Honda or Toyota out there that can dance like an LGT and still be used to carry as much stuff, and there certainly isn't another car that would let me wave at Jeep drivers while passing them in blizzards.

Strizzy- I've got slightly oversized Assurance Fuel Maxes at 40 psi (max sidewall is 50).

BigTDogg- For the first 6 years I was in the turbo, clawing to make that one pass and shave a few seconds off my commute. On downhills and when there was no chance at all of making a pass I'd feather the throttle, trying to burn as little as possible without engine braking. I'd get 21-22 on most tanks. Last spring I started popping it into neutral on the downhills and my first partial tank of doing that got 27.5. My first full tank was 28.5.

InnocentGuns- I don't quite see the hazards you're referring to. On the big highway I'm usually between 60 and 70, traffic and time depending. Drafting can be a help, but tailgating is stupid. During rush hour the big trucks tend to go a little more slowly anyway, so I'll go past- a smidgen higher on my mileage doesn't mean much if I'm late, you know?

dr. sharp and joeleodee- My log shows that getting 30+ mpg has saved me over $2k in the last year and a half, but I haven't been talking about that because it's not about saving money. It's about getting performance out of the car when normally there's none to be had. When the highway is full and there's no room to move through traffic, I'm still working it and getting really good performance out of the car.

You're right, panicrev. The tires aren't enough of a mod to get those numbers. Sometimes performance has to come from the driver, not from a catalog or a tuning shop. In the meantime, I'm just showing what someone can get out of this car. It's a great car and it can do a lot of things.

15,000 miles per year

$3.75/gallon

@ 25mpg = $2250

@ 32mpg = $1758

By my math you'd be hard pressed to save more than $500/year.

I think your tires are bigger than you realize and that you're not actually getting the mileage you claim.

What size are they?

lol

Stock was 215/45/17, 819 revs per mile. Now I'm at 215/50/17, 792 revs per mile. The difference is 1.034 percent. Gallons don't change, but I take the odometer reading * 1.034 to get actual miles travelled. If the odometer says 500 miles and the pump says 16 gallons, that'd be 31.25 mpg for the week. Since the car actually went 517 miles for that 16 gallons, I log it as 32.31 mpg.

I do about 25,000 miles a year, and since I've been logging mileage I've averaged paying $3.96 per gallon. I've been comparing it to the 19 mpg combined rating instead of the 22 that I was getting back when I wasn't working for mileage as seriously. Using 22 mpg as a baseline I've only saved a little under $1400 in the last year and a half.

Archived