LegacyGT.com

Tinted Tail Lights

superscooby

• I Donated
Hey man, it's your business if you want someone to rear-end you, say they didn't see your brake lights because you have tinted tails, and be absolved of all fault in the accident (whether or not they are telling the truth). We're just trying to help you. You asked for advice, we gave it. ;)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too

Actually he simply asked whether to tint it with vinyl or spray it. Not whether to do it or not. Just sayin.

I want to tint my tail lights a little bit. Should I spray tint it or film tint it?

• I Donated
I see it as similar to someone saying, "I want to jump off a bridge because it seems like fun. Should I jump off the George Washington Bridge or the Brooklyn Bridge?" and everyone saying, "Jumping off a bridge is a bad idea unless you want to die." Ask for advice on something that's not a good idea to do, and people will tell you it's not a good idea to do it.

• I Donated Too
Ok, how's this:

I don't like tinted tails because it reduces MY reaction time and puts ME at risk of hitting YOU.

Don't blame tinted tails because you are blind and uncoordinated.

Don't blame tinted tails because you are blind and uncoordinated.

Unlike many drivers I don't stare at the back of the car in front of me, so any delay in the illumination of the tail lights decreases the time I have to react.

Unlike many drivers I don't stare at the back of the car in front of me, so any delay in the illumination of the tail lights decreases the time I have to react.

I think most drivers stare at their iPhone not the car in front of them.

• I Donated Too

Don't you mean "Like most drivers..."?

I just don't understand doing any mod that makes it more difficult for other people to see that you are there.

The question the OP is asking is "how can I most effectively make my car easier for other people to hit?"

And yes, you will be at fault in the event of a rear-end collision. If the other party doesn't know that your tail lights are tinted, you MIGHT get away with it, but you are really pressing your luck. ESPECIALLY if the cop notices, which they likely will, if the other person says "I couldn't see his lights!".

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I didn't realize we had so many cops, attornys, quiers, douche bags and haters on this forum. All I was looking for was a simple vote on film or spray on... wasn't asking for your opinions on what you think is cool, stupid, legal or safe. This thread has proven pointless...

Thanks to all those that answered my inquiry without insult or "authority". Drive on!

To those who did insult and/or attempt to parent me... suck it!

You are just now realizing there are people smarter then you? If you were looking for a vote on film or spray, why didn't you create a pole? Don't make any more threads since they are pointless.

Ok here's how we can put this to bed and make some money at the same time. Let's wait for OP to get his tails tinted then we'll all buy 80s civics and take turns running into the back of his car and collecting insurance payouts.

It's funny how people pick certain topics to be uptight about.

The O.P said tint a "little" bit, not black them out! :lol:

Tint technology is actually very interesting and you can get a darker look without giving up much light output.

Laws are different everywhere. If the O.P has a problem with the law the tint can be removed with no perm damage. Then re-apply later =)

On top of all of that if light output is a problem you can upgrade to LED bulbs. :lol:

• I Donated
The O.P said tint a "little" bit, not black them out! :lol:

Tint technology is actually very interesting and you can get a darker look without giving up much light output.

You fundamentally misunderstand the concept of tint.

You know those numbers? 35%? 18%? Those are the amount of light that gets transmitted through a given type of tint. That means if the OP puts 35% tint on his taillights, only 35% of their light will make it through. That's enough for people to mistake brake lights for regular taillights.

Laws are different everywhere. If the O.P has a problem with the law the tint can be removed with no perm damage. Then re-apply later =)

Sorry, but unless you're talking about the laws in Thailand, you're wrong. This is a federal law. And I don't think the OP is going to get away with removing the tint on the side of the road after he's been rear-ended.

Most people here modify their suspension in a way that if they tried to avoid a squirrel they would lose control. :lol:

:orly: Do tell.

You know those numbers? 35%? 18%? Those are the amount of light that gets transmitted through a given type of tint. That means if the OP puts 35% tint on his taillights, only 35% of their light will make it through. That's enough for people to mistake brake lights for regular taillights.

Not trying to fuel this fight, just wondering; isn't the percentage an indication of how much light is allowed in, not out? It was my understanding that true tail films were designed to darken but still allow an acceptable amount (IIRC ~80%) of light output. Am I completely wrong? Wouldn't be the first time :lol:

OK, I'm a glutton for punishment and will keep this alive. :lol: I think the point that's being missed very very badly here is that a "normal" level of tail light tint does NOT impeded people's vision of your brakes in any real measurable way. It just makes them look darker when not lit.

You might as well argue that every car should be painted bright white, because a darker colored car is "harder to see" and therefore you are asking to be hit by buying a dark colored car. Tinted tail lights do not impede or delay anyone's vision of your braking any more than one car's tail lights that are larger are more visible or has more bulbs and is more visible....or LEDs... or whatever. Should all car manufacturers have to make all brake lights output an ideal, equal amount of light to be noticed for them to be safe.

And BTW how would it...delay...your seeing the lights anyway as someone said?? lol Does dimmer light travel slower than the speed of light???? :confused:

Oh yea...One small detail that's being totally missed. The third brake light in the rear window and spoiler that isn't modified. :spin:

• I Donated
Not trying to fuel this fight, just wondering; isn't the percentage an indication of how much light is allowed in, not out? It was my understanding that true tail films were designed to darken but still allow an acceptable amount (IIRC ~80%) of light output. Am I completely wrong? Wouldn't be the first time :lol:

If you have a translucent material that only lets through a certain amount of light, it only lets through a certain amount of light, no matter which way the light is traveling.

BTW, taillight tint is also a bad idea if you ever park on the street, because it prevents the reflectors in the taillights from working as intended. If you only ever park in your driveway, I guess it's not an issue, though... :rolleyes:

^ I understand that, I'm not saying it doest restrict the light output in some way but I think it lets more out than it lets in. I mean with window tint just because it's limo and you can't see into the car doesn't mean that the person inside can't see out, it's just not as bright looking out as it would be with no tint.

Archived