LegacyGT.com

"Studdering" Fix Released

Opie

ROBMAN, what dealership did you go to? I am in NH and am planning on bringing my LGT/ltd 5SPD to AMD Subaru in N. Hampton, NH where i purchased it. I have an appoitment on Thursday to get this ECU thing checked out but would like to reference your dealership if they happen to not cooperate.....which I do not anticipate to be the issue.

Thanks for your help - glad to hear things worked out well for you, hope to get the same turnaround.

Joe

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back on topic, as i said, it looks like the people with aftermarket maps are not having studdering problems, so it seems likely the rich stock condition is being remedied with the aftermarket ECUs, and fixing the studder.
I wouldn't say that, there are a number of posts of "it gets better, but not gone" Count me in that category. This is a computer problem, not a combustion problem. The problem is so much more complicated than it's running rich/lean.

Im quite happy with Cobb's Stage 1 map. My studdering issue is about 95% gone. I only experience it when the car is cold and it is humid out.

I wont be going in for the fix. Unless it becomes a recall I'll stay with whats working for me.

Im quite happy with Cobb's Stage 1 map. My studdering issue is about 95% gone. I only experience it when the car is cold and it is humid out.

I wont be going in for the fix. Unless it becomes a recall I'll stay with whats working for me.

from the horses mouth.

most of the threads i've read also say this.

i never said it wasn't a computer issue. the computer is controlling the a/f, and the reflash alters it. I'm not sure what else i can post up to explain it to you. stock a/fs are sub 10, or around 10, and tuned are 11-11.5. the links i posted are every one i could find on the site.

i don't care what you say. adding 1.5 parts air to the ratio is a substantially leaner a/f.

:shrug:

The main point eles1 is alluding to is that tuners get more power from any turbo powertrain by primarily shooting for a higher boost target instead of a leaner A/F. The tuners increase the boost and then tune the A/F ratio accordingly.
I keed I keeed

I'd prefer to not bicker further in this thread... it contains a lot of good information that shouldn't be diluted with our little "side topic".

dark_rex,

I would be happy to continue our discussion via PM or a separate thread, if you like. I meant to suggest this earlier, but human nature won out and got the better of me...

Thanks.

I wouldn't say that, there are a number of posts of "it gets better, but not gone" Count me in that category. This is a computer problem, not a combustion problem. The problem is so much more complicated that it's running rich/lean.

+1.

I would also like to point out that when A/F ratios are at their richest (WOT), the stuttering is typically not present. This is true on stock tuning or aftermarket tuning.

If A/F ratio too rich was the problem, the stuttering should be at its worst during WOT runs when A/F ratios are at their lowest values. That's completely opposite from what actually happens.

Couldnt' resist... :D , Now I'm done for real!!

ROBMAN, what dealership did you go to? I am in NH and am planning on bringing my LGT/ltd 5SPD to AMD Subaru in N. Hampton, NH where i purchased it. I have an appoitment on Thursday to get this ECU thing checked out but would like to reference your dealership if they happen to not cooperate.....which I do not anticipate to be the issue.

Thanks for your help - glad to hear things worked out well for you, hope to get the same turnaround.

Joe

Joe -

Purchased at and serviced by Maine Mall Motors in South Portland, Maine. They are a Berlin City owned operation, which you may be familiar with in NH. Good luck!

Rob.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow. I thoroughly explained the issue to my dealer's service tech who had never heard of it, but will 'certainly get to the bottom of it'. The dealer is Gillman Subaru in Austin, TX.

we shall see.

-Brett

I disagree mwiener2. Dont want to be rude, however there are several people who have posted lately on this thread that are awaiting responses from dealers and how this issue is being handled. It has been quite helpful to myself and others who are going through this process.

It would be appreciate by myself, and im assuming others if we could get some more "closure" and feedback from people currently in the mix with this ECU issue.

Just my opinion, Thanks.

Joe

The dealer (gillman in Austin) called the techline and they will send the ECU off when I am ready... but they also mentioned how they will eventually get the latest 'cartridge' to do the flashing there at the dealership.

Getting anxious, I have my appointment with dealer/service tomorrow (Thursday) at 2:30 to discuss ECU issue. I am hoping to get a whole NEW ECU like ROBMAN, instead of a re-flash from SOA.

Will post Thursday evening with updated info.....

Joe

Sorry if I'm missing something here.....but seems many of you who have had "the fix" had their ECU's shipped out by your dealer for a reflash?

My dealer actually replaced my ECU with a brand new one from SOA. Different part number as well. They had the new ECU drop shipped, and only kept my car overnight

ROBMAN - Can you please give us the Part Number from your "exchanged" ECU. Would like to compare it with the one in mine. My car feels so much different from what others are reporting after reflash, that I'm wondering if SOA isn't sending out new/newer ECU's.

TIA

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I disagree mwiener2. Dont want to be rude, however there are several people who have posted lately on this thread that are awaiting responses from dealers and how this issue is being handled. It has been quite helpful to myself and others who are going through this process.

It would be appreciate by myself, and im assuming others if we could get some more "closure" and feedback from people currently in the mix with this ECU issue.

Just my opinion, Thanks.

Joe

I agree. This is a VERY important issue for us. This THREAD is the one I am MOST interested in checking when I access the board. And while I am not interested in upping my post count and I post only when I have something I feel is relevant to contribute, be assured that I am on this board and reading almost every day... to learn. And there are many others that are probably like me....and we all want to learn about how effective this "fix" is....from those who have done it and have experienced its effects.

Cheers,

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

The reason for closing this thread soon, is that at 344 and counting replies, it's way too long to keep track of any information. Unless you are one of the few people who keep up on this thread daily, it's too long to read. If someone with questions about the fix looks at the thread for the first time..it's going to take well over an hour to read through. For every 5 posts, there is about one with actual helpful information. This thread is also dragging on and on with an almost non-issue. The reprograming is free and it either helped fix the problem or it didn't seem to do anything, depends who you ask. So for free...go do it and see what happens.

I'm giving the thread till the end of the week for people to finish up meaningful conversatiosn and to get questions answered. People, we have the ability to PM each other...please do so and keep threads readable.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I've posted up my initial experiences and am waiting until I get to the 1000 mile mark on the reflash to post up any additional responses.

For those who are posting, please keep the thread focused on your experience with the stuttering "fix". If you need a sidebar to discuss something else, please take it to PM or start another thread.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

When I check this thread I am hoping to read impressions of the fix. It is anything but that. I think I have read 3 impressions..

I'm picking my car up this afternoon - I'll let you know how the "fix" works out. Mine's a bit different, though - the original fix, in which they sent my ECU to New Jersey to be monkeyed with, came back in worse condition than I gave them. Much worse. So they've ordered a brand new one for me. He said it was "a newer model," so maybe it will already be programmed to fix the stuttering problem.

I'll post about it...