LegacyGT.com

200,000 in my '06 spec. B

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been a while...

At some point in the past, one of the plugs had been cross threaded a bit. I take full responsibility. Long story short, I'm sure I did that one time I was doing the plugs and halfway through realized something I needed had disappeared out of my toolbox. (The joys of taking tools to a racetrack, you tend to loose one or two every weekend.)

At around 275k miles one of the plugs let go out of the head. This resulted in tearing up the piston and pitting the head. I ended up selling it to my trusted Subaru mechanic. (I've owned 8 and always take them to the same mechanic, regardless of what dealership he's at) He's going to rebuild the motor and start driving it.

And, if he decides to sell it, I've asked for first dibs. :)

How was the motor internals? I saw them a few minutes ago as he recently pulled the motor apart.

-Main bearings look great. They aren't worn through to their brass at all. If I had a motor to build, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse them.

-Rings, cylinder walls looked solid.

Ultimately, if that plug wouldn't have failed, I would be at 306,xxx right now. I still sleep at night, I got a good run out of the spec b. :)

I now drive a gunmetal BRZ Premium. I swore up and down it was staying stock but I put on a different intake and exhaust about 500 miles in. I'm leaving it naturally aspirated, but have some ideas...

-Clif

Ultimately, if that plug wouldn't have failed, I would be at 306,xxx right now. I still sleep at night, I got a good run out of the spec b. :)

-Clif

This makes me warm and fuzzy. I'm only at 120k. Dumb question but how often should we swap plugs?

Archived