LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 Finally!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
people confuse turbo lag with fmic response changes, perhaps you weren't refering to turbo lag

I am aware that the main reason for the hole in power delivery is the rich dip. However, if you think about it, that's still turbo lag. The turbo needs to compress the entire intake tract, but the amount of air going through the MAF causes the ECU to add more fuel before the intake tract is pressurized, so lag results.

Even if you want to argue semantics, it has the same basic effect as turbo lag. So it's still lag.

^Just call it FMIC lag in this thread to avoid the argument :lol:

Your CBE is a waste of money for stage 2, and even some stage 3 applications.

My wife would tell you that you are wrong based on the fact that she loves the way the Magnaflow on her stage1 OBXT sounds. From a power standpoint I completely agree, but obviously its not that simple.

You, "all the power and nowhere to use it", that's bogus. Like I said, 2nd gear you can wot and reap the back-breaking benefits of a big turbo on the street, even moreso if you stick with a tmic, spool up and DDability remains very managable, one of the reason i switched to a PW from a FMIC.

Are you calling bogus on the "nowhere to use it" claim and touting the benefits of a big turbo with a tmic? You funny today bro:p(I would point out that spinning tires in 2nd means you have more powa than you can put down in 2nd with the wheel/tire combo. With my TQ I could spin kdw2 245/35/18 into second if pushing it hard but tried not to do so.)

But for real I'm sure I'll get to WOT from launch soon. I've only had this installed last week, I'm sure I'll get plenty of chances to play.

Two words. SPEEDING TICKET.:lol:

• I Donated
No, it's not the same. Turbo lag and reduced response with a fmic are not the same thing.

As I said, they have the same effect. So even if they are technically different, they are functionally the same. They're both lag.

Are you calling bogus on the "nowhere to use it" claim and touting the benefits of a big turbo with a tmic? You funny today bro:p(I would point out that spinning tires in 2nd means you have more powa than you can put down in 2nd with the wheel/tire combo. With my TQ I could spin kdw2 245/35/18 into second if pushing it hard but tried not to do so.)

this was on my stock wheels and tires.

IMO lag is casued by being in the wrong gear when you open the throttle.

I don't feel lag in either of my Legacy's. If I want more power I downshift and open the throttle.

If you don't want lag, why don't you try that.

U=You guy's with automatics...well, what can I say...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What BMX is saying is that if you put big turbo on a little motor it takes a lot of rpm to get the exhaust pressures up to get that turbo spooling good. Thats lag.

A FMIC vs TMIC has nothing to do with that directly but effects apparent throttle response. Both effect how the car seems to respond to throttle imput but the truth is once spooled up I wouldnt want small turbo or a TMIC.

EDIT: As MaxCap said, its just about driving in the powerband. In my case that will be 4-7k instead of 3-5k and falling on my face.

• I Donated
IMO lag is casued by being in the wrong gear when you open the throttle.

I don't feel lag in either of my Legacy's. If I want more power I downshift and open the throttle.

If you don't want lag, why don't you try that.

U=You guy's with automatics...well, what can I say...

I have a manual, kthx. And I most felt what for the purposes of this thread I'm going to call "FMIC lag" when I was going 0 MPH, but trying to go an amount of MPH that was greater than zero relatively quickly. Usually when trying to turn left out of a side street. Now, I did discover that I could get to greater than zero fairly quickly if I held the RPM at 4000 and slipped the clutch hardcore. Otherwise, I'd end up revving to 2000, slipping the clutch a bit, and then inch into oncoming traffic for two seconds until the air caught up with the fuel. :spin:

My wife would tell you that you are wrong based on the fact that she loves the way the Magnaflow on her stage1 OBXT sounds. From a power standpoint I completely agree, but obviously its not that simple.

Two words. SPEEDING TICKET.:lol:

I second the Magnaflow sound. Yea almost got a speeding ticket friday night when I went out for a joyride, I got on the highway then took the first exit thinking I'd fly back up on the back roads, I was going 60 in a 35 zone, blew past a cop with my foot on the throttle so he definitely heard me but to my amazement he didn't move. I think he had company in his cruiser.

I have a manual, kthx. And I most felt what for the purposes of this thread I'm going to call "FMIC lag" when I was going 0 MPH, but trying to go an amount of MPH that was greater than zero relatively quickly. Usually when trying to turn left out of a side street. Now, I did discover that I could get to greater than zero fairly quickly if I held the RPM at 4000 and slipped the clutch hardcore. Otherwise, I'd end up revving to 2000, slipping the clutch a bit, and then inch into oncoming traffic for two seconds until the air caught up with the fuel. :spin:

I think most of us can agree that they've experienced this before.

• I Donated
I think most of us can agree that they've experienced this before.

Yeah, but there's a difference between botching a launch (which I do plenty too :lol:) and doing a relatively decent launch but not going anywhere for 2 seconds.

Agree, we all have botch a launch or even trying to pull it into traffic, and say to yourself after...That was good for the clutch...stupid.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ive actually only vf40'd and vf39'd a launch so far but I'm happy to Blouch launch anyones Blouch turbo'd Legacy;)

Fixed it, thanks for POINTing out my screw up....;) LOL

Archived