LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT moved from STU to STX

iggybdawg

LOL. All of 4 of mine are toast (1 set per track weekend is average). I took it into the stop to have them look at it, telling them I thought there might be a bad bearing. They put it on the lift, ran it. I didnt hear anymore about it for a bit. So I went out to the garage space to see 4 mechanics standing around scratching their heads (figuratively). The lead said "Didja know all 4 are bad, really bad?" He sounded shocked. I said sure, I'm on my third set in 16k miles. Flabbergasted would be the best description of their expression.

Until they make a chunking sound (like there are marbles in there), I keep going. On track days, I limit the sessions to 100mph & try to keep the loads down on the high-speed corners. When they are fresh, the car is blast. When they are not, I work on being uber smooth.

I'm a little surprised they let you on the track with bad wheel bearings. Even in autocross, that's a big no-no. Anyway, I have my replacement in the mail. Depending on how my compression test results come back and if I have time to put the new bearing on, I might go autocrossing this weekend. It's supposed to rain, so I'm hoping I can get out and see how the MPSS stack up to the competition

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
There's a ES prepped Miata up on autox4u.com's page f/s. I'm sure whitetiger knows the car and driver as they're from his region.

http://www.autox4u.com/general/94-miata-r-for-sale/

Tempting, but don't have that kind of cash at the moment. I think what will probably happen is eventually the GF will get a new DD and we will turn her 99 into an autocross slut. Should be a good bit of fun, and I try to drive it every chance she lets me :wub:

There's a ES prepped Miata up on autox4u.com's page f/s. I'm sure whitetiger knows the car and driver as they're from his region.

http://www.autox4u.com/general/94-miata-r-for-sale/

yeah, thats grant winston's car. he took 2nd in overall pax last event with it.

I figured as much. I've been driving the M3 all the time. It's so much more fun than the LGT. Throttle steering is a dream. haha

BTW looks like we have a 6-7 driver turnout for RTR this Sunday and you know we go for 7+ runs...just sayin!

I would, but we have test and tunes both days this weekend before the Pro event. Will probably get in 20+ runs at each event as they limited them to 50 cars. SJR has some events in May i might attend.

I'm a little surprised they let you on the track with bad wheel bearings. Even in autocross, that's a big no-no. Anyway, I have my replacement in the mail. Depending on how my compression test results come back and if I have time to put the new bearing on, I might go autocrossing this weekend. It's supposed to rain, so I'm hoping I can get out and see how the MPSS stack up to the competition

they're not bad, per se. Just noisy. Hub wheel bearings dont have the same test properties as other bearings. They just get noisy and stop turning easy.

So I did my first event in my M3 yesterday. It was so much fun, although I had my worst finish with my region ever. My tires are a lot worse than I previously thought. In comparison, I did a 7/10ths instructor run in a lightly prepped ASP EVO X on all seasons and I beat my FTD by over 3 seconds. LOL

I've got some 235/40/17F and 245/40/17Rs Z2s in my shopping cart at TR right now. I'll be weighing this tire choice the rest of the day as I got some good feedback from another instructor with a STi on Rivals yesterday. I really don't think either choice would be the difference between winning and losing.

I figure even if the stock proposal gets shot down, I wouldn't be too far off from my preferred tire size in STU anyways and I could just transfer them over.

Getting the Z2s installed today!

and also there's the May Fastrack: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/13-fastrack-may-solo.pdf

Here's the cliff's notes:

2014: there will be 2 street (stock) prep levels with all the same current classes...those on street tires and those on r-comps.

2015: the only street (stock) class on r-comps will be SS, where the fastest street cars play. They may or may not keep it that way, depending on turnout at nationals.

The SEB will also be using 2014 to analyze and reorganize the street category as it sees fit.

Getting the Z2s installed today!

and also there's the May Fastrack: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/13-fastrack-may-solo.pdf

Here's the cliff's notes:

2014: there will be 2 street (stock) prep levels with all the same current classes...those on street tires and those on r-comps.

2015: the only street (stock) class on r-comps will be SS, where the fastest street cars play. They may or may not keep it that way, depending on turnout at nationals.

The SEB will also be using 2014 to analyze and reorganize the street category as it sees fit.

while being in SS i'm glad for this it also slightly annoys me for when our car gets bumped down from SS to AS :spin:

• 4 weeks later...
here are the latest developments with the "Street Class" category.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/May%20SEB%20Draft%20Minutes1.pdf

what a let-down....:mad:

Yeah I read it the other day. I'm trying to gather all of my thoughts for my letter :mad:.

I don't see how any of that will really benefit the smaller local regions. SJR is pretty bummed about it. What's the word in NNJR?

SEB - Hey BMW/Porsche/Subaru owners, you can use street tires in stock!

BMW/Porsche/Subaru owners - YAY!

SEB - But you can't add any camber to save your tires.

BMW/Porsche/Subaru owners - F You! I'm going to a BMWCCA or PCA event!

• I Donated

Well at least they moved the 2nd Gen Miata to ES where it belongs. Also any RWD cars from DS are now in FS, that should make for some ownage down there. In my region there was a G35 that just raped in DS, can't imagine what it will do with a better pax.

Screw that shit about the camber though, that's just absurd. Theres a 135 that's completely stock except for some camber plates to save her tires and she's in ASP with modded to hell STis and evos. bullshit.

Well at least they moved the 2nd Gen Miata to ES where it belongs. Also any RWD cars from DS are now in FS, that should make for some ownage down there. In my region there was a G35 that just raped in DS, can't imagine what it will do with a better pax.

The G35 was moved to DS from FS a couple years ago b/c it was getting smoked by the 4.6 Mustangs and E46/92 M3s. It looks like all the cars to come from DS will be buried once again. A newer V6 Gen Coupe R-Spec may do some work given some development time.

it used to not be *wink

back in the days of fox body 'stangs and f-body GM's, they were very poorly set up for it and had alot less power. now, the stang gt with 400+hp and a chassis thats worlds different than it used to be kinda broke the FS mold. So now FS is really a class for high HP, heavy cars that wouldnt fit in to AS or even BS. Same reason that ESP cars have a worse pax than DSP cars.

Also, did they just get rid of H-Stock class?

CHANGE PROPOSALS

Street Category Proposal Update

The SEB thanks the membership and the SAC for the additional feedback that has been provided in response to to Version

2 of the Street Category proposal. Changes to the proposed ruleset have been made in response to this input, as follows:

• The new camber allowances (the formerly-proposed 13.8.F) have been removed. This means that the 2013

suspension rules will remain in place.

• The Street Touring rules are being clarified in conjunction with the Street rules update, in order to retain the present

Stock-based allowance which permits exhaust exit relocation.

In addition, the SAC has provided an initial draft of proposed Appendix A listings for the Street Category; this is provided

below for member review and comment. A summary of the proposed Appendix A contents is as follows:

SS - Current SS minus C5Z06/C6 & Vipers.

Added S2000 CR.

Added some exlusion list cars like the BMW Z8,

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (2009-13), Dodge Viper (NOC), Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca (2012-13) & Ford Mustang

Cobra R.

AS - Current AS plus C5Z06, C6, Vipers from SS.

Minus C5 non-Z06 and BMW 1M Coupe, Z4 Coupe & Roadster.

BS - Current BS plus C5 non-Z06, and BMW 1M Coupe and Z4 Coupe & Roadster.

Z0K/MSR/Boxster up from CS.

CS - Current CS minus MSR/Z0k/Boxster and slower cars moved to ES

DS - Current DS minus rwd cars moved to FS

ES - Current ES + 99-05 Miata, MR-2 Spyder, Z3, M-Coupe/Roadster from CS

FS - Current FS plus RWD cars from DS.

GS - All current GS/HS cars combined

It pisses everyone off that stood to gain something from it. I like the mostly overlooked part in the fastrack that says "the board would like to thank Sam Strano and Mike Johnson for their input". Hmm...two of the biggest names in autox that stood to lose ground in SS with the camber allowance? Weird. They're the only reason R-comps will be allowed in SS after the changeover for the rest of the street classes.

It seems also that 2wd STX cars will get to run 265mm tires? So basically the BRZ and RX8 are the cars to have for that class. 400lbs less and more tire that any wrx/lgt can run. And they dont let STR run 265 wide tires. WTF?

The tire allowance has always been the case in STX. The rules would allow me to run to 285s in STU, but since the rules in touring also disallow me to do the necessary body work to fit them, it's a moot point.

STX is still dominated nationally by the e36 325/328. It just has way more development time. The Twins will probably overcome that in the future.

• I Donated
it used to not be *wink

back in the days of fox body 'stangs and f-body GM's, they were very poorly set up for it and had alot less power. now, the stang gt with 400+hp and a chassis thats worlds different than it used to be kinda broke the FS mold. So now FS is really a class for high HP, heavy cars that wouldnt fit in to AS or even BS. Same reason that ESP cars have a worse pax than DSP cars.

Why don't they just rearrange the cars in the classes so that it makes sense then? Just have them be in descending order so that anyone looking in can tell what cars are faster. I've been autocrossing for a year and a half and I'm just finding out about this oddity. They should do this all the time whenever they change the pax IMO.

Why don't they just rearrange the cars in the classes so that it makes sense then? Just have them be in descending order so that anyone looking in can tell what cars are faster. I've been autocrossing for a year and a half and I'm just finding out about this oddity. They should do this all the time whenever they change the pax IMO.

You get used to it over time. It'd be far worse rearranging everything at this point. They can't even get the camber right.

• I Donated
You get used to it over time. It'd be far worse rearranging everything at this point. They can't even get the camber right.

Agreed, my previously aformentioned issue is minor in comparison to all the changes they are trying to push through without proper test time. next couple years will be pretty rough. CR will be dominated and buried in SS, they should send it to AS instead IMO. I agree that it shouldn't be in the same class as non-CR S2000s but SS is too much. In fact, all the cars in that SS/AS/BS are getting shuffled around, bad time to buy one of those not knowing what class it will be in next year (2014)

Archived