LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT moved from STU to STX

iggybdawg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

Ok. Evo school sounds like a plan, I did the novice school in my region and that helped immensely. Perhaps next year i'll start looking for some cheap 17x8 wheels to put 245s on, but those things are naht cheap. Prices for star specs have gone up just since I bought them in June.

I've got my cell phone that I use as a camera but it isn't as good as a gopro. Here's my 2nd fastest run on sunday - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JENOXhe1rIQ&feature=plcp]NER SCCA Solo 10/7/12 - Legacy GT - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds like I'm staying in STX. I've got a lot of learning to do and I love doing it.

its about the point at which you change direction. you want to be turning back when the cone is at your back window. as it appears in the vid, you are nearly on top of the approaching cone rather than the passing cone. you basically want to be nearly hitting the back side of the cones with your tires. they teach you this at EVO school. looking ahead, as stoplight mentioned is very important because it allow you to make decisions earlier and have more confidence so you can stay on the power more and not brake as much. its easier to see the driving line when you get good at it.

For 17x8 wheels, you may want to start looking at the 2011 wrx wheels. They're heavy, but you can fit 245s on them without a problem. Last time I looked on nasioc, they were going for $500-$600.

Also, the new ZII*spec replacements are coming out in spring, so look for TireRack to have a clearance on their remaining Z1*specs before then.

• I Donated

OK that makes sense. I think they talked about that at the novice school but I guess I was having a hard time learning the new tires. This run was very sloppy, there were two or three places I lost some serious time just being greedy/not taking an effective line.

I'll definitely look at the 2011 wrx wheels, that seems like a cheap way to get a good set. Hopefully tirerack does do a clearance on their z1 star specs, I would like to grab another set at lower prices. I almost got 235/40 but decided against it due to cost, perhaps i'll just go straight to 245/40 in the spring.

Whitetiger, you say behind on the slaloms. What do you mean by that? Am I just turning too late? If I'm going faster am I able to kind of toss the car into the slaloms more, or is it better to be smoother?

A good way to figure out when to turn in for a slalom is to picture an imaginary line between each cone. As you break this line, you should already be turning for the next cone in the slalom.

As you approach the slalom, your eyes should be looking at the very last cone in the slalom. When you approach the next to last cone in the slalom, look to the next course element.

Also, you don't want to toss the LGT around. You'll go right around doing that. Smoothness is key.

OK that makes sense. I think they talked about that at the novice school but I guess I was having a hard time learning the new tires. This run was very sloppy, there were two or three places I lost some serious time just being greedy/not taking an effective line.

You lost probably a second coming out of the slalom at :38. Tap the brakes really hard and make a sharp turn towards the next element. You came in too hot and had to scrub off more speed in order to not hit the cone wall.

Also, you have a road race mentality. Getting out wide and hitting the apex isn't always the best line for autox. At :20 you went wide to the right in an effort to setup a better line and carry more speed. While you were able to carry more speed, you also lost time. In the slow sections, the shortest line is the fastest. The LGT has the advantage in STX of power and grip. Pick the short line, brake hard, get on the gas early, and rocket out of the corner.

• I Donated

Thanks very much. I've had a hard time trying to be smooth, and a hard time finding the right line in the course. I know I have to go kind of wide but am overdoing it apparently.

This is my first season autocrossing and that's the thing I think i've had the hardest time with. As I walk the course there are some elements that just kind of confuse me. That first big turn in the course was one of those for me. It is almost like a U-turn, and I don't know how much is too much when swinging wide for it. I did find with some of my other runs that I could tap the brake and then get back on the throttle to rotate the car a bit, I should do that more I guess.

There's one more event on the 21st and I look forward to putting this advice to good use. I love the support on this forum and can't wait to learn as much as I can from you guys.

That first big turn in the course was one of those for me. It is almost like a U-turn, and I don't know how much is too much when swinging wide for it.

One could connect the course elements together by a series of straight lines. The further you deviate from those lines, the more distance and therefor time you are adding. The exception is in the fast sections.

Buddy up with one of the quicker pax drivers if you can...preferably a Subaru guy and walk the course with them.

Buddy up with one of the quicker pax drivers if you can...preferably a Subaru guy and walk the course with them.

I'm a total noob at this, but this advice is worth it. My first session, the resident "hot-shoe" took us on a course walk and explained what to look for and how to setup your car for each turn. Then I went back with the rest of walkers and pestered them with questions. :-)

There was a guy who had his arms out like he was flying. It turns out his wing span exactly matched his car sides when he was in the seat. I thought it was strange, maybe it still is, but it was helpful for me when figuring some elements.

• I Donated

I'll be doing our last event of the season on Sunday, can't wait to try some of the things stated here. Things I'm going to focus on:

-Shorter lines through turns

-Tapping the brakes and getting back on the power to rotate on smaller turns

-Being ahead on my slaloms (requires more skinny pedal in slaloms)

-Trying to do all this and not forget to drive and have fun

I'll be doing our last event of the season on Sunday, can't wait to try some of the things stated here. Things I'm going to focus on:

-Shorter lines through turns

-Tapping the brakes and getting back on the power to rotate on smaller turns

-Being ahead on my slaloms (requires more skinny pedal in slaloms)

-Trying to do all this and not forget to drive and have fun

with regards the slalom, I've been practicing with the white stripes on the road. At least in Washington state, there is a reflector block starting every stripe, so I use them for my cones. If I get the timing right, I can make it down the street quite a ways before getting off track.

if you dont have the "dots", you'll have to pay more attention, but you'll still have a close experience, as getting behind on your slaloming will put you off line eventually.

If you do this, check for cars and goverment units, as this looks like drunk driving. :-)

If you can find a parking lot, walk thru it planning a route, then drive it. If you can video (phone, camera, bystander, etc) the run, play it back to see how close you got. Make adjustments until you get close. Then try a different course.

Just remember, it's easier to make up time lost from going too slow into a corner than it is to make up time from going in too fast.

When you walk the course, practice looking far, far ahead. The bigger the course, the further ahead you should be looking.

My final event is also this weekend. If I win STX this weekend, I'll end up in a tie with the WRX I've been going blow for blow with this year. I won't win for the season unfortunately b/c he'd end up with more points in STX once they add back in drops. I ran event #1 in ESP this year and am missing the overall final event in November. I beat him by over a second on basically the same setup (+ perrin tmic and stg 2 map) in event 1 too. Oh well.

When you walk the course, practice looking far, far ahead. The bigger the course, the further ahead you should be looking.

this is probably the best piece of advice in this thread. looking ahead, i mean really looking ahead, is the most beneficial and hardest thing to do well in autox. Take an evo phase 2 school to know what i mean. ;)

The last event for me this season is this weekend also. Between my coilover rebuild taking forever and the whiteline rear control arms being backordered to hell, I never got the car setup this year, so I was the local tirewarmer.

http://www.danpodhola.com/autocross_data/index.php?d=542

Oh well, I still need to buy 17x8 wheels and some tires sometime before spring.

If you don't have a nice camera already, GoPro just released 3 versions of their new HD Hero3. The least expensive "White Edition" is $200 and you can setup your shots using wifi on your smart phone. Pretty slick.

The range topping "Black Edition" is $400 but comes with a remote and can shoot 4k video. Damn! Glad I didn't buy a HD Hero2!

Archived