LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT moved from STU to STX

iggybdawg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Labbancz. Last time he came to Bader in his Z, I beat him pretty good. Best case scenario: I come in first, Mark in second, and Andre in 3rd. That would put me ahead for the year in points with drops.

We'll see what happens I guess. It's only going up to 60F that day, so the Z1s should have the edge. Dun dun dun.

Welp, the Philly guy didn't show up so I had no chance of winning for the season. I used the day to just take it easy and work on my driving line. Turning early was my focus for the day.

I ended up with a clean 60.5. I stupidly coned away a 59.7. I just turned in way too early and nailed a cone. Still would've been only good for 2nd in STX behind a 59.6, but would've been 3rd in Pax. Oh well. It's a bit bittersweet as this might've been my last autox in the LGT. I got a good lead on a cheap and well maintained 97 328i for next season.

• I Donated

I had a good time as well, went up to ESP for the team event we had to give my team better chances. Ended up taking 1st ESP, but was slower than the STX guys on raw time. I could just stay in ESP and reap trophies/class wins, but I want to challenge myself and learn more so i'll be staying in STX.

The team event was run like this: You have 4 members per team, and each is competing for placement within their own class. Scoring for the team is made up of all four members' scores within the class, and minimum 3 people per class or it gets bumped according to SCCA rules. 9 points for 1st place, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd and so forth. 6th+ is 1 point.

I went up to ESP because a friend of mine's car has a boost leak so he wasn't able to compete. There was currently only one person in ESP, so I knew that if I registered there it would get bumped to BSP, and I would surely lose out there more so than in STX. I offered my friend a co-drive in ESP, giving that the required 3 people per class and knew the other car in it and that it wasn't as fast as me. We didn't end up being the fastest, but we were the best dressed. (The competition is just as much about having fun and having team "uniforms" so we all dressed up in suits and ties) I'm on the left in the blue tie

We did get the award for best dressed team, showing that if you can't be the fastest, you might as well be the best dressed. Great season, can't wait until next year.

• I Donated

I'll take a shot at it.

Seems like you lost some time at the hard left at :24, I think you braked a little late there. Also in the subsequent slalom it didn't look like you were driving as fast as you could do that slalom. There were probably another few mph in there.

At :57, seems like you were a little later on that left than you wanted to be, but you made up time coming out of it.

All of this is speculation by the way, I'm trying to learn to analyze videos. Am I doing it right?

Here's my last run from Sunday. 57.9 +1. This could be helpful for everyone as analyzing data is essential to improving one's skills. So, other than hitting the cone, what were my mistakes?

though not on the slaloms, you leave a sh1t load of distance between you and the cones. tighten up those lines. even on the first left-hand turn, the second inside cone you are way off of, and then you have to slow down on the right-hander afterwards, giving up a sh1t-load of speed.

Yep I was way off the cones in some places. I started out behind in the slaloms but caught up after the first 3 or so.

After reviewing all of my videos last night, I realized I should've tried to keep it in first for the first left and right. With the size of my tires and rev limit, I should be able to do about 42mph in 1st.

I really want to get this new GoPro so I can view my videos on my phone after a run.

I'd rather just buy the HDH3. I don't want to put more money into an outdated device. Plus it's easier that I don't have to take it out of the case.

Got a message about that 328i I heard about. They sold it last week for $500 bucks. Damn! That would've allowed me a lot of money for suspension goodies as it was pretty well maintained, just a bit beat up on the body. Perfect for a track car. Oh well.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like there's a couple new tires in the ST world this year.

Obviously, we have the Direzza ZII. All of the reviews say they outperform the Z1 in all categories.

BF Goodrich now has the G-Force Rival which was tested just yesterday by a bunch of autoxers and awaiting review.

There's also the Federal 595RS-R which has been out for a little while now. It's my understanding that these are more so built for the track, but at ~$100 per corner, they might be worth consideration, although they have limited sizes.

Some preliminary results are back from the Rival vs ZII. Andy Hollis lapped a MX-5 cup car a second per lap faster than the ZII. Not a definitive result for autocrossing, but interesting nonetheless.

Traditionally, the Direzzas have performed well on the heavier cars, so we'll see how this plays out.

The Rivals are supposed to pop up on Tire Rack in the next few hours.

The third test was my favorite as it was something I was very familiar with, a Subaru STi. We had three tires to try, BFG Rivals, Toyo R1R’s, and Hankook RS3’s on another autocross course. I felt right at home in these cars and knew how they drove so I really valued this test the most. The BFG’s very much reminded me of the Dunlop Starspecs with an improved turn in response over the RS3’s (and R1R’s). I was hoping they had a car on the new Dunlop ZII’s to compare but as you know, those tires won’t be readily available for another few months.

http://blog.365racing.net/2013/01/22/the-bfgoodrich-rival-street-tire-review-at-nola-motorsports-park/

Archived