LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT moved from STU to STX

iggybdawg

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left foot braking works for me, but I'm "only" 6'0"

Hang on for dear life style steering works great in slaloms, but then in long sweepers or hairpin turns you might get pretzel arms where you can't effectively do minor corrections.

I got a schroth harness last year, and didn't realize how much I was moving around in my seat till I got it.

This year I've been the codriving bitch, driving a lot of other people's cars to keep their tires warm, but I've been learning alot, driving FWD, RWD, low power, high power, race tires, street tires.

Gathering parts to go from DS to STX has turned out to be rather slow. Things like the whiteline rear control arms being backordered all the way to Australia, months rebuilding the used coilovers I bought, me not wanting to pay for aligning the car every time I get a part so most the parts just sit in the garage. Right now, I have the factory shocks/struts/wheels on the car with huge front and rear swaybars. I tried that mid-july and was pleasantly surprised how much easier it was to rotate the car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1st in class, 3rd in pax on Sunday. STX was back and forth between me and Mr. WRX. I finally pulled it out on my last run.

Stupid Miata slaloms slowing me down to a crawl. Missed pax by less than .3. lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIOHQE3oZ0E]SJR SCCA Event #6 9/23/12 - YouTube[/ame]

• I Donated
Nice job! I did an autocross on sunday as well, but I was co-driving the girlfriend's miata. That thing was a blast, and I took 2nd in a novice class of 38! Guess i'm not a novice anymore. Can't wait to get my Legacy back on a course though, haven't done one with the star specs or sway bars/endlinks yet.

nice run.

I like how the finish area ends in a parking lot of cars. The two I've done end with a long runout and a hard right turn which leads to antics on occassion as ppl do anything to break the timing beam.

Yeah the finish was an issue. We were anticipating a light turnout, so we did a smaller course on what we usually use for the paddock. The city placed large pipes to run electrical cables through on what we were using, so it really bottle necked the planned course.

We should be getting wireless timing gear for next year, which will really help us utilize the site. We won't have to end as close to the timing truck.

Having the right wheel/tire combo for your class is second to only learning how to drive.

You can have the fastest car in the world, but it doesn't mean a thing if you can't drive. I had a student on Sunday with a Lancer Ralliart (the newer turbo ones). By the end of the day I had him down 6 seconds off his first runs just by getting him to be smooth and not over driving the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
Just drove mine at an autocross for the first time since moving up to STX, and i've got to say it's a lot more fun. 225 star specs and hotchkis sways/kartboy endlinks/reinforcement brackets and it feels much better than it did on the stock sways/all seasons. I'm going to have a lot of fun in this car!

• I Donated
Huge gains in cornering speed, much flatter in the corners. I'm not competitive in STX though, class winners are a good 10% faster than me. There's a BMW 330i that's fully spec'd out that just kills. My fastest time was a 55.941, STX winner was 50.801. I think out of the 7 STX entries I was #6, but only because I beat my co-driver. Had a friend whose brake seized so I offered him the co-drive.

BMWs dominate STX at the national level. The 93 - 94 325i is deadly when prepared and driven correctly.

I think I might buy one for next year actually to stay and play in STX. If I get tired of going slow, they hold boost pretty well. They're stupid cheap too. If you're a big guy like me and want a inexpensive, well balanced car, that's it.

• I Donated

Here's a link to the last event I did without the star specs/sways: http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/files/event%203_pax_0.htm

I'm #108/148 on that list.

Here's the most recent event,

http://www.ner.org/sites/ner.org/files/moss_pax.htm

I'm #48/103.

I haven't completely discounted being competitive, I just don't see it without serious mods that I don't have the $$ for. I realize I could just run ESP, but that's no fun as there's no competition there in my region. STX will keep me on my toes and pushing more. I am however looking for an upgrade path. I've got epic springs on the way to put on some koni yellows in the spring. Any suggestions on what to do next?

well, considering that you were in novice in the beginning of this year, i can only say that seat time will make your drive better. try to take an evo school if you can. they are worth every penny, and go to as many autox events as you can.

There's no reason to run ESP unless you plan on running wide Hoosiers. You're talking about a huge investment to make the car competitive at that point, especially in PAX. Just ask whitetiger.

If you want to be competitive regionally in STX, eventually you will need 245s on a 17x8 wheel. The BMWs are tough to beat. The LGT has them killed in power to weight and grip, but they're very balanced and have good gearing. It will take great driving to beat them. If you don't have a camera, you need to get one and study your lines.

Overall it just takes time to figure out how to be fast and how to setup the car for the course that day.

Archived