LegacyGT.com

What to Get for 5K-7K - First Car

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If some guy shows up to pick my daughter up for a date in a minivan years in the future, I'm giving him the keys to my wife's Jetta so they have less room for sex. :lol:

:lol: In my friend's tC, he can pull both front seats all the way forward, remove the headrests and recline them all the way flat for a make-shift bed. So, it's not just minivans you have to watch out for :lol:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

:lol: In my friend's tC, he can pull both front seats all the way forward, remove the headrests and recline them all the way flat for a make-shift bed. So, it's not just minivans you have to watch out for :lol:

Sounds like you and "your friend" been getting real close in his tC.

Then maybe OP's cousin should opt for something with a bench seat in the front. Why simply imply to high school girls that you have a little gentleman with a rusted camaro, when you could show it to them in your bucket seat oldsmobile.

My first car was a 1994 Ford Probe GT. It had the 2.5l V6 and a 5MT. It wasn't terribly fast but was very fun to drive, More importantly it was a hatchback and as Tito has suggested, plently of room to fool around in the back, even got caught by the police at the park with a naked girl once :eek:.

My best friend at the time (H.S. years, duh) had a 1991 Nissan 240sx hatch. THAT is my suggestion. It was a blast to drive yet wasn't terribly fast. RWD, 5MT, Plentiful aftermarket following, Oil changes are optional:rolleyes:. We used to take it to autocross events every other weekend in the summers. He's since had a 300ZX and now a 540i. He will still admit that the Nissan was his favorite car :wub:.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Red_240SX_II.jpg/250px-Red_240SX_II.jpg

Ive had my 96 legacy L for almost 4 years now. I did brakes and handling.

However after 4 years and me coming up on 23 I need something with more get up and go.

The 2.2 Legacy would be a good car

I say if you want cheap LS power get a 99 and up silverado tahoe suburban or yukon. I had a 99 silverado with a cam, intake, exhaust and some minor engine work and I could destroy GT mustangs all day. and it was 4wd.

GTFO with that craziness.

You really think a 16 year old with a modded V8 truck is a good idea?

I live in truck country up in my suburb but at least the kids are 21+ before they get behind a crazy fast pick up or modded Super Duty.

I have 3 of them on my street. And all their friends.

They're idiots, but as long as they aren't gunning it up my road and endagering my girls, I let it slide.

I think the truck is a great place to start. stock they are not super fast but they are easy to work on and parts are pretty cheap. I dont know the kid so unless he has some common sense I would say get him a GEO. If he wants something to built over time a truck is a great investment. It just depends on the new driver.

• I Donated
Just get him an older Legacy and save his life..

This won't necessarily help. I had a 1990 Legacy wagon as the first car I didn't have to borrow from my mom. 0-60 when new was 10.8 seconds. Mine was 16 years old when I got it, so 0-60 was.... slower.

It had a 140 mph speedometer. I got it up to 140, once, on mountain stretch of I-80. (Insert F&F joke here.) I could only get it up to 120 on flat ground.

Proof that you can be stupid in any car.

I did manage not to crash it, though.

I say if you want cheap LS power get a 99 and up silverado tahoe suburban or yukon. I had a 99 silverado with a cam, intake, exhaust and some minor engine work and I could destroy GT mustangs all day. and it was 4wd.

Great idea. He won't be able to afford gas for it so it won't get driven and I don't have to worry about him killing anyone with his lumbering tank.

also he was thinking of get the kid a 98 or newer firebird or camero, the truck is much safer and better for insurance.

This is true. A 10-13 year old truck is much safer than the assinine suggestions of the original Post, I'll give you that.

Man this post blew up in my face...

Dont let this thread get you down, I am a firm believer that it isnt the car, it depends on how parents teach there children to deal with power and speed. I finally had a chance to read the whole thread and wow. I had a 1970 Pontiac lemans with a built stroker 350 pushing close to 400hp and i never crashed it. I took my fooling around to the track and when i wasnt doing that i would drive the car to school everyday. My father taught me how to drive and even let me race on weekends, just make sure to give your cousin ideas and places where racing is legal and safe.

This is true. A 10-13 year old truck is much safer than the assinine suggestions of the original Post, I'll give you that.

Maybe safer for his cousin, but not the rest of us. Top heavy vehicles with poor handling and braking aren't hallmarks of safe cars in my book.

Archived