LegacyGT.com

What to Get for 5K-7K - First Car

Tell him to get a cheap older Legacy (except make sure it's not a GT model).

I used to drive a Mazda 6, which had about a million times more pep than my 08 2.5i, but I'd pick my Legacy over my Mazda any day. It feels a lot safer, and the lack of pep makes me beat on it a lot less. The most I can beat on it is going fast on curvy highway on ramps :p

Oh yeah, and this piece of advice brought to you by a 17 year old (for 25 more days).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-sw-pa-00-legacy-l-auto-183510.html

There's no need for a 16 year old to have any sort of a rwd car. That's just asking for something bad to happen. Insist on FWD/AWD, and find a way for him to learn to properly control a car before sticking him behind the wheel of any RWD car. Find a friend with a Miata or something that he can go run at a local autocross.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no need for a 16 year old to have any sort of a rwd car. That's just asking for something bad to happen. Insist on FWD/AWD, and find a way for him to learn to properly control a car before sticking him behind the wheel of any RWD car. Find a friend with a Miata or something that he can go run at a local autocross.

Bah. I did fine in a RWD car when I was starting out. Of course it was a Chevette so it wasn't even remotely a performance car. :lol:

Archived