LegacyGT.com

What to Get for 5K-7K - First Car

All,

Sold my LGT a few month ago, and I'm trying to help my 16yr old cousin find his 1st ride. Budget is 5K-7K and he wants a fast car, he loved driving my stg 2 LGT but it was out of his budget. He said he wants it to be the coolest looking and fastest car at his school. Something we all wanted huh.

- 5K-7K budget

- No FWD, RWD or AWD only

- Manual preferred

- Easily modified (good powertrain and following)

- Winter is not an issue; he has a beater 4x4 truck for winter

- Insurance cost is not a huge deal, parents pay

His buddy has a 4.6 mustang so I was thinking 98' or newer camaro/firebird to get some LS power... thoughts?

Mike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Save your cousin's and possibly others lives by not recommending a fast car. He needs to learn how to drive first. And tell him there is more to life than trying to impress strangers. There will ALWAYS be someone with bigger and better toys, don't waste money trying to impress people you don't even know.

I had a blast in H.S. driving my parents Chevette and LeBaron. Crappy slow cars, but I didn't care because it had wheels. It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Triple charged mustang

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKb_bjn94iA&feature=related]Kid Talks About His V6 Mustang - YouTube[/ame]

Why, if I may ask, does a 16 year old kid need obscene power? Maybe it's just me and my background, but everyone around my town who got a fast or nice car when they were 16 just drove it like an asshat and got into accidents or even killed.

I've turned my "fast car" sideways and nearly killed many times. I think power should be earned and everyone has to go through a learning experience. It's obvious this kid wants the "coolest looking" and "fastest" car in school so that he could race other kids and I doubt they will wait to do it in a sanctioned environment.

I agree on the slow car option.

Let him learn to drive and make his mistakes on a beater before getting something better.

Though admittedly I still managed to go incredibly fast in my '92 Saturn SL2...on the freeway...downhill.

Something safe and a beater is my recommendation. Once he gets that down there will be plenty of time to get something faster.

Thanks for the tips guys... he is thinking 98+ LS Camaro, 99+ 4.6 Mustang. On the other hand was/is is thinking early WRX or B5 A4 1.8T... Also considered Eclipse GSX... My vote is RWD V8.

When you get your 16 year old cousin a fast car, he races it.

When he races it, he is involved in an accident.

When he is involved in an accident, he gets put in the hospital.

When he gets put in the hospital, you go visit him in the hospital.

And when you go visit him in the hospital, you get shot down by a hot nurse.

Don't get shot down by a hot nurse.

Thanks for the tips guys... he is thinking 98+ LS Camaro, 99+ 4.6 Mustang. On the other hand was/is is thinking early WRX or B5 A4 1.8T... Also considered Eclipse GSX... My vote is RWD V8.

What tips? Everyone here is telling you helping your 16 yr old cousin buy a fast car is a monumentally (note the word mental in monumentally) STUPID idea. Nice way to get the kid killed.

Tell you what, spend that $7k on a racing kart for the track. Let him learn to drive fast in controlled environment and when he's older he can get a fast car. For $7k, you can get a new rotax kart, trailer, and all the kit necessary to race on a nearby kart track.

Do the kid a favor rather than hammer a nail into his coffin. Don[t be a yutz.

Here is an excellent source for karts: http://www.mrpmotorsport.com

If he were closer to 18, I'd have some better suggestions, but it doesn't seem like he's even had a full year of being able to drive alone.

It''s hard to recommend anyone get a sports car when they haven't driven more than 12 months, and even harder to recommend one for a 16 year old who wants to go fast.

I think all young drivers should be forced to drive a W123 series Mercedes diesel. Since the OP's cousin requires RWD or AWD and a manual transmission, a 1976-1983 Mercedes 240D w/ a 4-speed manual should tick all the boxes for around $2,000-3,000. German, RWD, manual transmission, safe, reliable, cheap, 70 hp, and with the added bonus of 0-60 in 20 seconds. :lol:

4 of my best friends all had Fox Body Mustang 5.0's as teens.

They all crashed / totalled them. Every one of them.

I had a slow but slammed Integra LS. I think the Integra kept me out of real trouble as a teen.

Frankly, one of my favorite cars was my very first that I bought -- 1973 Honda Civic. 1300-1500 lbs, 65 hp. 12" wheels. So light and so flingable.

Edit: I finally retired the civic after an autox. There was a turn in the course perfect for a handbrake turn. I sorta got it right in the first run, but in the second run I jerked the handbrake up so hard I tore the handle out of the rust unibody. No handbrake= no turn. :lol: Ruined my damn run but made the course workers laugh their asses off.

The car went to the crusher soon thereafter. :spin:

4 of my best friends all had Fox Body Mustang 5.0's as teens.

They all crashed / totalled them. Every one of them.

I had a slow but slammed Integra LS. I think the Integra kept me out of real trouble as a teen.

My first car was a Fox body. Totalled it when I was still 16. :lol:

I think all young drivers should be forced to drive a W123 series Mercedes diesel. Since the OP's cousin requires RWD or AWD and a manual transmission, a 1976-1983 Mercedes 240D w/ a 4-speed manual should tick all the boxes for around $2,000-3,000. German, RWD, manual transmission, safe, reliable, cheap, 70 hp, and with the added bonus of 0-60 in 20 seconds. :lol:

Hahaha, I had a Saturn, by itself when I was the only one in the car it had a little bit of pickup, but its low weight was the main thing that kept that car going, as soon as you put in a 2nd passenger, performance dropped, and with a fully loaded car you may as well have been driving a 70's diesel.

Though it did have the benefit of dent resistant doors. Those were probably the greatest feature to have on a car for a teenager :lol:

hi guys

new member here im looking for the best .45 pistol to buy my 4 year old son any recommondations?

I would recommend a Glock 21 since there are no manual safeties to inhibit him from using the pistol. Also keep in mind that young children usually shoot better if they have some stimulants in their system, so best to get him to drinking coffee and smoking Marlboro's prior to range sessions too. :)

Archived