LegacyGT.com

What to Get for 5K-7K - First Car

All,

Sold my LGT a few month ago, and I'm trying to help my 16yr old cousin find his 1st ride. Budget is 5K-7K and he wants a fast car, he loved driving my stg 2 LGT but it was out of his budget. He said he wants it to be the coolest looking and fastest car at his school. Something we all wanted huh.

- 5K-7K budget

- No FWD, RWD or AWD only

- Manual preferred

- Easily modified (good powertrain and following)

- Winter is not an issue; he has a beater 4x4 truck for winter

- Insurance cost is not a huge deal, parents pay

His buddy has a 4.6 mustang so I was thinking 98' or newer camaro/firebird to get some LS power... thoughts?

Mike

I have owned some fairly nice cars, some that were quick too. I used to sell BMW's and have driven all the BMW M cars except for the current crop of them. The most fun I have ever had with a car has been with the 1995 Ford Aspire I keep in another town (my away from home terminal). I can thrash the holy hell out of the little car and never break a speed limit, but it is a lot of fun. With $7K to spend your cousin could expect to have about 14 of the little cars before he graduates, since he probably can't drive for shit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seriously a 16 year old kid shouldn't have anything more powerful than a used Civic type car. The average 16 year old boy could be put in a padded room with a bowling ball, and he will figure out a way to break it, eat it, or fuck it. Maybe all three. So why give him a nice car?

You must not like your cousin very much...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Seriously a 16 year old kid shouldn't have anything more powerful than a used Civic type car. The average 16 year old boy could be put in a padded room with a bowling ball, and he will figure out a way to break it, eat it, or fuck it. Maybe all three. So why give him a nice car?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Order of vehicles:

First car: 2000 Blazer (topped that baby out)

First car that was not "borrowed from parents all the time": 1999 Civic Si with the AEM and GReddy Evo yo. (topped that baby out)

The Si got stolen from my driveway and I ended up getting a 2000 Protege for $4500 in 2006?. (couldn't top that baby out)

That got traded for a 2005 LGT (I haven't really felt the need to top it out).

The point being: get a slow car. The Si could get into trouble with its mad crazy hp vtec and still be fairly manageable.

The protege was awesome: cheap, never dropped below 28 mpg (35+ typical), and was cheap to fix anything that broke.

The LGT gets mediocre gas mileage, has an emerging nuisance every now and then, but is a blast to drive and I manage the power thanks to the experience of the other cars.

I am glad I did not have a truly fast car as a teenager. I would have easily killed myself or others on the back roads doing the dumb stuff teens do.

Old fast cars are great for kids! Sure they're dangerous when they're on the road, but they only work 25-40% of the time. It builds character having to walk your girlfriend home after you snap something trying to show off. So with that in mind, I suggest:

70-72 Duster 340CI or bigger. Maybe a Dart, but those can get pricey.

Any Z with high mileage

An early to mid 70's Nova is a pretty indestructible and light body for what 350 is capable of producing.

If you can find a 400 Small Block T/A still running, it will be dirt cheap! Those motors ran like dogs originally, and got the piss ran out of them to boot.

IROC Daytona's and Shelby CSX's were AWESOME and will keep him in the garage more than on the street.

F Body Camaros are a dime a dozen and you can trip over parts in the gutter.

SUPRA... Nuff Said.

And my personal choice would be to give a kid any year Eclipse GSX, Talon TSI, or Laser RS and see how long they can keep their license.

The right car is better than being captain of the football team.

I started off with a '95 Dodge Grand Caravan. Get him one of those ;)

If some guy shows up to pick my daughter up for a date in a minivan years in the future, I'm giving him the keys to my wife's Jetta so they have less room for sex. :lol:

All,

Sold my LGT a few month ago, and I'm trying to help my 16yr old cousin find his 1st ride. Budget is 5K-7K and he wants a fast car, he loved driving my stg 2 LGT but it was out of his budget. He said he wants it to be the coolest looking and fastest car at his school. Something we all wanted huh.

- 5K-7K budget

- No FWD, RWD or AWD only

- Manual preferred

- Easily modified (good powertrain and following)

- Winter is not an issue; he has a beater 4x4 truck for winter

- Insurance cost is not a huge deal, parents pay

His buddy has a 4.6 mustang so I was thinking 98' or newer camaro/firebird to get some LS power... thoughts?

Mike

Just get him an older Legacy and save his life. A legitimately fast car as his first car is a terrible idea. I've seen kids trash BMW's because they were being asshats, and a BMW is impossible to crash compared to a Mustang or a Camaro/Firebird.

Tell him that if he wants to drive fast, he has to learn to drive well first. That's what my parents told me, and you know what? I think it's saved my life. Many times. My first car is a Subaru Outback (I'm basically 18; mom gave it to me 2 years ago), and although I've never gone REALLY fast, I have gone fast enough to scare a passenger or two, and I've learned countless things about driving, both fast and slow.

Old fast cars are great for kids! Sure they're dangerous when they're on the road, but they only work 25-40% of the time. It builds character having to walk your girlfriend home after you snap something trying to show off. So with that in mind, I suggest:

70-72 Duster 340CI or bigger. Maybe a Dart, but those can get pricey.

Any Z with high mileage

An early to mid 70's Nova is a pretty indestructible and light body for what 350 is capable of producing.

If you can find a 400 Small Block T/A still running, it will be dirt cheap! Those motors ran like dogs originally, and got the piss ran out of them to boot.

IROC Daytona's and Shelby CSX's were AWESOME and will keep him in the garage more than on the street.

F Body Camaros are a dime a dozen and you can trip over parts in the gutter.

SUPRA... Nuff Said.

And my personal choice would be to give a kid any year Eclipse GSX, Talon TSI, or Laser RS and see how long they can keep their license.

The right car is better than being captain of the football team.

None of those cars will get you laid anymore in HS. :lol:

My first car was a 70 vw baja bug that I built with my dad from 14-16.

Topped out at like 70 mph, taught me to be aware of my surroundings because you never know when a wheel will fall off or a big gust of wind will come along and you'll fly into another lane. Taught me about understeer, taught me about how far a shopping cart will go if you hit it at 40 mph in an empty parking lot... Taught my friends not to try to take a parking spot from me... Taught me what to do when your throttle cable, clutch cable, shifter, gas pedal, brake pedal, or any other part of the car falls off haha.

I got into more trouble with that car than most 16 year olds did - but I got into less trouble than any of my friends with camaros, mustangs, WRX's and M3's did. Camaro - reckless driving in a parking lot doing donuts. WRX - Totaled after the first two accidents didn't scare him enough. Mustang - 130 + speeding ticket, license suspended for 2 years, insurance to hell, etc. M3 - first one - totalled - second one - smashed into a MG with 2 elderly people in it going over 100 mph and killed them both. He is STILL IN JAIL TO THIS DAY after fleeing the country and his grandfather who tried to help him out (and who bought him the m3 was charged as an accomplice).

Fast cars and 16 year olds are a bad bad mix man. Get him an rsx or something safe and semi-fun and convince him to start autocrossing or getting into a few driving schools or track days. Teach him to be smart from the beginning and he can get a faster car in a few years.

My suggestions are 4cyl fox body mustang( like 86 HP but rwd so still fun to drive)

- pontiac sun fire gt?

- n/a dodge Daytona?

- 1.8L impreza?

These are all cars my dad tries to throw me in before I got my LGT:) but if he can live with an suv rather than a car... my favorite car I ever owned was a 98 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0L. I entered it in burn out contests at local car shows :) but its not wickedly fast. Fairly stiff suspension. Select track 4x4. Really nice interiors.. can be picked up REALLY cheap. Just a thought...

Buy him a rust bucket with a leaking head gasket and no mufflers with manual doors and windows, tape player, ripped up cloth seats for like $400.

That's what I started out with.

Kids now a day

They want the best and coolest cars, power this, power that, looks good and that can play their ipods and impress there friends.

C'mon, I was excited when I finally had an car with an CD player and power doors and window.

Tell your cousin to save the $ for his next car after 3-4 years of driving. Maybe til he's 20 or something

If he has an great car now. He want be impressed when he buys his next car, unless he wins the lottery or something

You're his Cousin.

You want him to have a bad life/record with accidents and speeding tickets on his record or even dead or paralyzed for life?

If I were you, I'll tell him to wait for that "fast" car and buy him a car under $2500 for now.

95 accord or something but not a sports car or anything. No way.

It's Your cousin,

Either you love him and do what we are all saying here or you don't care about him and let him buy that fast car and have him kill himself and/or his friends.

Don't regret it when you get that phone call

Archived