LegacyGT.com

Retarded looking stance

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
The lower you go with your suspension, there is a point at which the geometry of the suspension starts negatively affecting everything. You can't turn as sharply anymore, going over larger obstacles will eventually break things because there is no longer "suspension", you lose contact area with the pavement so you lose some ability to brake, handle, and accelerate, and this doesn't just affect you it affects all those around you.

I love having a lower car to get rid of body roll and stiffen up the ride some for higher speed turning while maintaining OEM alignment specs. Slammed, extreme cambered, and zero suspension travel goes along the lines of ridiculous. In an era of idiot drivers and extremely leinient licensing, I'll take every little bit of help I can get to protect myself and others on the roads.

So love your RUINED vehicle imho. I will love having a bad ass looking ride that PERFORMS as well as it looks.

So how low do you ideally want to go with the legacy to maximize performance? Top of the tire right close with the fender (gapless status)? And if just slapping coils on is the improper way to drop then what else besides a proper alignment? Control arms? Bushings? Sways&endlinks?

So how low do you ideally want to go with the legacy to maximize performance? Top of the tire right close with the fender (gapless status)? And if just slapping coils on is the improper way to drop then what else besides a proper alignment? Control arms? Bushings? Sways&endlinks?

Suspension travel is important, so it's not really something easy to answer. You can read quite a lot of posts in suspension here from Myles @ RaceComp Engineering. He discusses some of the challenges of the LGT suspension setup in terms of travel and placement.

"Proper alignment" is where your problem comes in, alignment and beyond that, geometry. When you lower the car too far (and too far is a lot less than you probably suspect), you can't align it particularly well, and your geometry starts to change, and things like your ball joints start to be at unusual angles or mechanically disadvantaged angles from where they belong.

It's far too much to even try to go into in this thread, but definitely read through the suspension forums.

Leave the stance to the honda and audi/vw children.

I will take my Subaru fast and with face ripping handling, thank you.

I just spit my coffee on my monitor reading this one..... what a crock. Your legacy is "fast and with face ripping handling"??? OK Shaggy.

My slammed, M45, with way too much camber, and way too stiff set coilovers will blow doors on just about any car on this Legacy forum. I've been modding cars since the mid-80's, that's more than 1/2 my lifetime. I've built cars for SCCA (RX-7) built cars for Autocross (Civic Si) built cars to go very slowly over stuff (F150 4x4) and I've built them for nothing but the look (VIP'd out M45). My M45 is still by far the fastest car I've ever had, and she handles amazing thanks to being the same suspension as a 240 / 350z hybrid, and a full compliment of Parts Shop MAX drift spec suspension. Yes, it's too low for any practicality at all (why do you think I have the SUBARU??), and yes the camber is way to much for any type of advantage, but, she still blows doors on most cars that stand in her way, and tackles the twisty canyons of SoCal with grace and style, thank you.

• Moderators
I just spit my coffee on my monitor reading this one..... what a crock. Your legacy is "fast and with face ripping handling"??? OK Shaggy.

My slammed, M45, with way too much camber, and way too stiff set coilovers will blow doors on just about any car on this Legacy forum. I've been modding cars since the mid-80's, that's more than 1/2 my lifetime. I've built cars for SCCA (RX-7) built cars for Autocross (Civic Si) built cars to go very slowly over stuff (F150 4x4) and I've built them for nothing but the look (VIP'd out M45). My M45 is still by far the fastest car I've ever had, and she handles amazing thanks to being the same suspension as a 240 / 350z hybrid, and a full compliment of Parts Shop MAX drift spec suspension. Yes, it's too low for any practicality at all (why do you think I have the SUBARU??), and yes the camber is way to much for any type of advantage, but, she still blows doors on most cars that stand in her way, and tackles the twisty canyons of SoCal with grace and style, thank you.

tl;dr

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Suspension travel is important, so it's not really something easy to answer. You can read quite a lot of posts in suspension here from Myles @ RaceComp Engineering. He discusses some of the challenges of the LGT suspension setup in terms of travel and placement.

"Proper alignment" is where your problem comes in, alignment and beyond that, geometry. When you lower the car too far (and too far is a lot less than you probably suspect), you can't align it particularly well, and your geometry starts to change, and things like your ball joints start to be at unusual angles or mechanically disadvantaged angles from where they belong.

It's far too much to even try to go into in this thread, but definitely read through the suspension forums.

A hunting i will go. Trying to make the best of my legacies cornering abilities

• I Donated
tackles the twisty canyons of SoCal with grace and style, thank you.

I prefer to tackle canyons with power and handling, not grace and style. That's just me, though.

The M45 does have better power-to-weight ratio than a stock LGT, but also weighs 500 lbs more. A modded LGT will be faster in both a straight line and around turns.

Archived