LegacyGT.com

Retarded looking stance

Glad to see a thread on here where people are shitting on stupid "stance lifestyle bro" cars.

The subaru community is full of idiots, since WRX prices are bottoming out, it's only getting worse.

I'll be in my thread where I actually build functional DD's and real live race cars....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never got this "stance nation" crap & it's getting very out of hand. I mean, sure, I want my car low, but not like THAT. That's a damn nice car that looks so stupid.

Form>function

HELL NO.

Dumbest s**t I have ever read about modification.

EVER.

I never got this "stance nation" crap & it's getting very out of hand. I mean, sure, I want my car low, but not like THAT. That's a damn nice car that looks so stupid.

HELL NO.

Dumbest s**t I have ever read about modification.

EVER.

Agreed. Function > Form. A properly well done car will have all the function it needs and the form to come with it.

You guys do realize that car modding is as individual as the world itself right? And that what looks stupid to your superior mindset, looks great to others, and that your stock FAMILY car looks like it should belong to an old lady (which it probably did if you bought it used)? These are not ultra high performance race cars that are being destroyed by some guys who want to slam the shit out of them cause they like how it looks, they're just average sedans and wagons which we collectively like -regardless of taste, and that's pretty much it.

Some folks are all about modding a car to improve it's performance, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Other folks are all about modding a car to achieve a look, a stance, a form, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

You guys do realize that car modding is as individual as the world itself right? And that what looks stupid to your superior mindset, looks great to others, and that your stock FAMILY car looks like it should belong to an old lady (which it probably did if you bought it used)? These are not ultra high performance race cars that are being destroyed by some guys who want to slam the shit out of them cause they like how it looks, they're just average sedans and wagons which we collectively like -regardless of taste, and that's pretty much it.

Some folks are all about modding a car to improve it's performance, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Other folks are all about modding a car to achieve a look, a stance, a form, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

And then it makes people associate the shitty, dangerous cars with the ones that are modded tastefully and to perform at a higher level. Hence the term "ricer" is slowly but surely being negatively applied to our Legacies in this case.

Sorry dude, I'm more about class than your so called "stance". I don't like my car in any way, shape, or form being connotated with a ricer mobile -.-

Mods purely for looks that negatively affect handling and safety aren't cool.

Exactly. I would have no issue with these kinds of cars IF they were not allowed to be street legal. I'm actually not entirely sure how they ARE allowed to be street legal, because their handling characteristics are not what I could consider "safe."

Here is a perfect example of what I am referring to:

(Yes, the guy is driving like an idiot, but at the end of the day, all he did was drive over what appears to be a road joint under throttle and it completely upset the car.)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYH-vz3EJ8]NEW scary car and truck accident on highway in Russia!Lexus IS crash!ДТП - YouTube[/ame]

• I Donated

A stanced-out Camry/Corolla is as stupid as a stanced-out LGT is as stupid as a stanced-out Mustang is as stupid as a stanced-out Ferrari. Because in each case, the "stance" negatively impacts the handling and safety of the car.

Yes, there definitely is, because they are reducing the functionality of their car.

Just like retrofitting HIDs into projectors unsuitable for them, or blacking out your windows to the point where you can't see out of them at night?

There is, in fact, something wrong with certain modifications to vehicles. There are things which are just "whatever, that's their taste" and there are things which are "stay the **** off the road, you're too incompetent to drive near me".

1: I don't mind that my car looks like it belonged to an old lady (which it did) as it looked as well taken care of as it actually was, which prompted me to buy it as I have damn good taste & apparently, damn good sense.

2: There is such a thing called "excess" & when applied, it's always detrimental. Excessive camber is extremely bad as the video above clearly shows. My car with it's stock suspension would NEVER do that crap in the RAIN.

3: It isn't good to have just 1/4th tire on each wheel making contact with the road because then, you're just losing the control that you're misleading yourself to have/gain.

4: It's okay to modify a look (we all do it after a certain point) but anything that takes away from the functionality of a vehicle, like excess camber, toe, height, or power, is extremely dangerous & can/will kill people.

A typical bunch of internet know-it-alls with no experience in what they're preaching against.

Didn't realize I was joining Ralph Nader's "Safety-1st" forum. I thought it would be an open minded set who respected different styles, but I guess I was wrong.

1: I don't mind that my car looks like it belonged to an old lady (which it did) as it looked as well taken care of as it actually was, which prompted me to buy it as I have damn good taste & apparently, damn good sense.

holy hell, are you kidding? When did OLD LADIES have a reputation for "good taste"?

:lol::lol::lol:

I love my Subaru, but the attitudes on this forum suck.

You guys are all preaching this safety bs, I've spent the past 10 years of my life working for the largest racing safety company in America, but I guess I just don't care about safety haha

Are you a crash test dummy?

I don't care if you want to do stupid shit and kill yourself, but keep it off the road -- I don't want you killing me, my family, my friends, or even breaking my stuff.

Seriously, how can you even think it's not idiotic to make your suspension completely non-functional, run so much camber you're driving on the corner of a tire at all times, and stretch the tires to the point where a small pothole will spontaneously break bead?

I suppose even NASA needs people to mow the lawn.

Really? My tires will spontaneously break bead? WOW you're a genius cause that's never happened to either my Q45 (6 years) or my M45 (2.5 years) and the roads in LA are basically horrible. I've had camber and at least some stretch all that time, now I have more camber and stretch than ever, and no problems. What do you know.

There's no arguing with people who already know everything, so I won't waste any more time.

A typical bunch of internet know-it-alls with no experience in what they're preaching against.

It doesn't actually take any experience to know that removing the suspension AND 75% of the contact patch to the ground is going to adversely affect the handling of your vehicle. Without suspension travel, your vehicle simply CAN NOT absorb any sort of impact, which is a necessity on [at least American] public roadways. The result of that is a car that hops over even the slightest of perturbations (see above video.) In addition, you are riding on the inside edges of the tires, which means you have significantly reduced the amount of grip available, and are also operating the tire outside of the envelope for which it was developed, which means improper wear, improper stress on the inner sidewall, improper traction on wet roads, and most importantly, not enough grip to recover from the slide that started when your car bounced over a pebble in the road (again, see above video.)

Didn't realize I was joining Ralph Nader's "Safety-1st" forum. I thought it would be an open minded set who respected different styles, but I guess I was wrong.

I have said, over and over, that I do appreciate all sorts of lowered cars. What I do not respect, are cars which are lowered until they become too sensitive and too uncontrollable for use on public roadways. In my humble opinion, these sorts of vehicles are no different than if I were to take the tires off of my rims entirely and drive around on just the rims, claiming that I have yet to get into an accident. I think you can understand that there are limits to "looking cool" when it comes to public safety, and I will always maintain that your car needs to at least be able to handle well enough to not spontaneously crash into other vehicles when you hit a bump, or to be able to swerve around an obstacle at the last minute without becoming an obstacle for everyone else in the process.

You guys are all preaching this safety bs, I've spent the past 10 years of my life working for the largest racing safety company in America, but I guess I just don't care about safety haha

Then you should be able to explain to me why the vehicle in the video I posted above suddenly lost control when all the driver was doing was accelerating straight ahead... and why it likely has nothing to do with the suspension modifications to his vehicle.

• I Donated
I thought it would be an open minded set who respected different styles, but I guess I was wrong.

I have never criticized anyone for modding grills, or using aftermarket wheels, or debadging, or running a loud exhaust, or running really stiff coilovers. None of the above are things I would be caught dead doing to my own car (although mine did come debadged by the PO :(), but I am open-minded about what other people choose to do to their cars, as long as they do not actually pose a safety hazard. It's only when people do stupid stuff like stancing their car or tinting their headlights that I make fun of them for their lack of judgement.

the roads in LA are basically horrible.

I find it hard to believe that they hold a candle to most snow-belt roads.

holy hell, are you kidding? When did OLD LADIES have a reputation for "good taste"?

I'm sorry, it's just that my 7 year experience w/Volvos, Nissans, & Subarus has a problem with excess, seeing as I've known people who have gotten into accidents by doing a lot of dumb s**t with their cars, like cutting springs & disconnecting the ABS system because they thought that they were Colin McRae. Excessive camber is along the "stupid" line, as the video shows.

Your car is what you ride in but it's not just a car. It's a potential weapon when misused, as the video also above clearly shows. Why in the hell WOULDN'T you want to make sure that you're safe when you're out on the road? All of us are different but anyone who's SENSIBLE will know potential danger when they see it, which is why we're responding to it.

Btw, I didn't say old ladies had good taste, I said that I had good taste. Old people tend to take much better care of their cars than us young folk. THAT'S where the good taste comes in.

Archived