LegacyGT.com

Retarded looking stance

Sorry, but I have to agree. The car might be "safe" while driving down the road normally, but unless you only ever drive your car in ideal weather on roads where you know nothing unexpected will ever happen (read: never) then all your are doing is putting yourself and others at risk with your car that has 1/10th the contact patch of a normal vehicle and NO suspension travel whatsoever.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Form>function

Negatory. Stuff that decreases performance and safety is stupid. Full stop.

Oh really? You know this, how? I've been driving cars with too much camber for years and drive with my wife and kids in the car, never had any issues or problems.

Good for you. People who remove their bumper beams also have no problems... until they get in a situation where a bumper beam would have been useful.

Yeah, go ahead and do what you want with your car. It's a free country. But I reserve the right to say it's stupid.

The lower you go with your suspension, there is a point at which the geometry of the suspension starts negatively affecting everything. You can't turn as sharply anymore, going over larger obstacles will eventually break things because there is no longer "suspension", you lose contact area with the pavement so you lose some ability to brake, handle, and accelerate, and this doesn't just affect you it affects all those around you.

I love having a lower car to get rid of body roll and stiffen up the ride some for higher speed turning while maintaining OEM alignment specs. Slammed, extreme cambered, and zero suspension travel goes along the lines of ridiculous. In an era of idiot drivers and extremely leinient licensing, I'll take every little bit of help I can get to protect myself and others on the roads.

So love your RUINED vehicle imho. I will love having a bad ass looking ride that PERFORMS as well as it looks.

I want to give LibertyFLS some credit. He had been the only one to defend the stance scene while demonstrating a grasp of grammar and punctuation usage.

I still don't agree with him, but he stated his defense in a (mostly) rational and mature way. He stands apart from the "stance" mouthbreathers.

Lmao at the haters.... My M45 has completely adjustable suspension and it's running -6.5 rear / -5.5 front. It's called car modding and it's no different than any other hotrod, just another style is all. One of my teammates has -21 in the rear, makes my -6.5 look stock haha. Oh we'll haters gonna hate, but I see nothing but win here.

Style>comfort

Form>function

Yes people who do this know what camber is for, but we take it to extreme and yes we know its not functional and destroys tires. And I'm no kid, I'm in my 40's, modding all my life haha

What 40 year old man uses the term haters.....

• I Donated
I still don't agree with him, but he stated his defense in a (mostly) rational and mature way. He stands apart from the "stance" mouthbreathers.

His grammar and punctuation may be impeccable, but he still suffers from a lack of logic.

thx Lucid, I think lol...

Credit where due. I still don't like this direction of modification, but you defended your taste and style in a palatable way that didn't make me think less of you.

Unlike...well, this

Sick as is nice. If ur not into speed and looks it nice as for the other ones that just pointless.. I have been into stance for a while as i had 240s and vws so ... But his is nice it clean adnd the stance is perfect

Or this

that celica is so ****** stupid i cant believe it got publicity anyways i run a 2002 leggy gt wagon and i stanced it because with the large amount of miles on it i couldnt bolt any turbos without blowing my motor so i put some decent wheels and tires gave a little camber in the rear and thats my wagon she isnt done yet but hey man money is tight now a days lol

The "stance" scene isn't doing itself any favors with defenders like these.

That's absolutely stupid. The suspension has no up travel. The first time you hit a bump it'll break the rims. Maybe it's because I live in absolute middle of nowhere, but that's just absolutely not practical. It probably handles like crap.

These are art cars. Stanced cars with crazy camber, IMHO, just look broken. Cars like the Legacy posted above don't necessarily look bad, but there are too many situations in which a car such as that one won't function properly that it makes it little more than a rolling piece of art. You can't go over tall speed bumps, or through rain channels. The car will handle terribly, and if you hit any sort of bump going around any sort of turn at any sort of speed, you've got NO suspension travel to deal with it, so the result is a complete loss of traction as the car skips through the air. The ONLY benefit is looks.

To me, it's like people who buy a sedan over a wagon. The reason to get a sedan is for the body style, but you actually lose functionality in every other regard. At least when you buy a sedan, though, you aren't endangering the lives of others on the road by driving something that will not be able to safely navigate any sort of hazard in the road without either losing control, or bouncing into the air (and then losing control.)

Stance is great if you like throwing thousands at a car you want to just park, pull up a lawn chair, and just look at it. Don't even bother with driving it or any of that shit, just look at it. If it's the look you're going for, it's second-to-none. And when done to cars that would otherwise look kinda shitty, it can look awesome (some Civics, for instance, that never had a chance of being fast or handling well benefit from some stance).

But it is not at all performance-oriented, and most people who do stance their cars know this. In fact, it directly hurts performance. Personally, that alone makes it something I would never do to my car in 1,000,000 years, since my car needs to drive well.

And it also must be noted that the one thing that ruins good-looking stance is too much camber. Not only does having your wheels at -10,000 degrees make your car supremely less safe, it also just looks terrible. The sag to the wheels combined with the lowered ride height combined with the tinted windows makes everyone else assume the driver weighs like 900 pounds hahaha.

Basically, here's what it boils down to:

Good stance: http://www.stanceiseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/acura_tl1.jpg

Bad stance: http://tunedmotiondotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tl8_2.jpg

Simple as that.

• I Donated
To me, it's like people who buy a sedan over a wagon. The reason to get a sedan is for the body style, but you actually lose functionality in every other regard. At least when you buy a sedan, though, you aren't endangering the lives of others on the road by driving something that will not be able to safely navigate any sort of hazard in the road without either losing control, or bouncing into the air (and then losing control.)

I bought a sedan over a wagon when I got my 05 because the sedan was 2/3 of the price of the wagon and much closer to home.

I bought a sedan over a wagon when I got my Spec.B because... well, because Spec.B!

this looks totally safe :lol:

http://www.stanceiseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bynumbers1.jpg

http://www.stanceiseverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bynumbers2.jpg

Wow... One turn and those tires are coming off the beads... Or locking up the wheel with the fenders -.-

I never understood the stance lifestyle. Flat brim hats give me a headache.

This x10000.

My life is complete.

I will never understand stretched tires and super-negative camber. I heard if you take the sticker off your flat bill they become worthless.

Slammed cars with normal camber is different though. It takes some ingenuity and fabrication to pull off.

(some Civics, for instance, that never had a chance of being fast or handling well benefit from some stance)

Seriously? The 8th Gen Si are one of the best handling FWD cars... :spin:

so in your opinion, good stance = sunken battleship? :lol:

stance

/stans/

Noun

• The way in which someone stands, esp. when deliberately adopted (as in baseball, golf, and other sports); a person's posture.

I prefer a more stock looking stance, none of this "my car is walking around looking like it's trying to shake a turd down the leg of its pants" look.

Archived