LegacyGT.com

Wax

Th3Franz

I have had my car since Tuesday, and I was wondering if it would be ok to wax it soon. I have heard two arguments regarding waxing a new car. Some people say to wait a month or so before waxing to allow the paint to "breathe" or something. Others say it's ok to wax about a week after buying a new car. I want to wax just the front end for now to hopefully keep the bugs from sticking.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The waiting for a month came from back when paints were not fully cured from the factory. Those days are long behind us now and your new ride's paint is fully cured. Don't wait one second -- put a protective coat of wax on it ASAP to keep the paint looking new for years to come. My recommendation is to go with synthetic waxes. There are many brands to chose from but they have an advantage over traditional waxes that they are easy to apply and buff, but are very durable. The only negative is that they may not produce as deep a gloss as a very good carnauba wax. My favorite is a mail-order only brand called Klasse. Ken

I'm a Griot's Garage man myself. I don't like the synthetic stuff. I wax about four times a year, and I waxed my WRX the day after I got it home from the dealer. As a matter of fact, given the crud the car might have seen during transporting, I would clay bar, then wax. I didn't with the WRX, but will with the Leggy. My usual method is wash, dry, clay (using liberal amounts of the lubricating fluid...note that there is a difference in clays) then a coat or two of wax. I use a Porter Cable random orbital to apply the wax, so it goes faster. Kevin

Mmmm Griot's Garage Carnuba Paste is the best wax ever. Easy to apply, easy to remove, smells great, superb shine and lasts a long time. My GT got a coat the first weekend it was home. [url]www.griotsgarage.com[/url] is where I buy almost all my car cleaning/waxing supplies.

I have had my car since Tuesday, and I was wondering if it would be ok to wax it soon. I have heard two arguments regarding waxing a new car. Some people say to wait a month or so before waxing to allow the paint to "breathe" or something. Others say it's ok to wax about a week after buying a new car. I want to wax just the front end for now to hopefully keep the bugs from sticking.

WAX THAT CAR ASAP!!!!

1438332937_paint1(4)(Medium).JPG.24dced6f5ad503cef998a9a80467180f.JPG

[quote name='Deer Killer']I have a feeling you should be able to "smell" the paint up-close if it isn't fully cured. This happens for weeks with spray enamel if you don't bake it. Am I wrong?[/quote] You are right. I just got a car back from the body shop and the smell of paint was very noticible. Much different then any new car smell. They also told me not to wax it for 2 months. So the adivice to wait for wax probably only applies to non-OEM paint, where they don't have the equipment to cure the paint.

[quote name='Ken S'][quote name='gtguy']note that there is a difference in clays[/quote] Not to take this too OT, but which clays do you recommend? Ken[/quote] Ken, I like the Griot's Garage clay, used with their Speed Shine. A friend had some Clay Magic, and some Mothers clay. We tried all three, and the Griot's left the section of the car smoother, "softer" and cleaner. It's a softer clay, so you don't run any risk of damaging the paint. Kevin

Rather than wax, I tend to use "liquid glass" paint sealer. 2-3 coats is extremely shiny. I have really good luck with it, and it lasts longer than wax, especially during the winter months, where it gets hammered by sand, salt, and touchless car washes to get the sand and salt off. Seems to protect the non-clearcoat red paint on my wife's miata. (why a 99 miata has single stage paint, I'll never know.)

For mine, I have had my current ride for 3 years and have never applied a wax agent to it ever unless it is in the car wash liquid that I use. I just find that you are using a cutting agent to highten this shine that will leave massive swirl marks that Im sure are no good for the paint or the owner driving the car. I have only ever owned red or silver cars and the paint jobs on the car have been great. With my current ride, my mate own a R33 GTR and he has asked me if I put special stuff on the paint to condition it as it looks so clear and clean, I said no, just car wash that has a liquid wax included. Franz, that maybe the way to go rather than actually fully waxing the new paint job. Let us know what you decide to do.

[quote name='agctr']For mine, I have had my current ride for 3 years and have never applied a wax agent to it ever unless it is in the car wash liquid that I use. I just find that you are using a cutting agent to highten this shine that will leave massive swirl marks that Im sure are no good for the paint or the owner driving the car. I have only ever owned red or silver cars and the paint jobs on the car have been great. With my current ride, my mate own a R33 GTR and he has asked me if I put special stuff on the paint to condition it as it looks so clear and clean, I said no, just car wash that has a liquid wax included. Franz, that maybe the way to go rather than actually fully waxing the new paint job. Let us know what you decide to do.[/quote] You obviously don't live in an area with salted roads... you _must_ wax your car here or it will be destroyed in a matter of years.

Too true I have to admit. I live near the sea but I suppose that doesnt count. In that case, the more protection the better I think. So do you wash or spray under your car every time u wash it to clear the salt build up.

Yeah, plus inspect and re-undercoat. It's hard to wash during the winter, by the time you get spring there's usually some spots you need to touch up, and if you don't you can wait a few years until it's hole and you can't ignore it anymore :). Hopefully the GT won't be so bad, there should be about 15 years of technology between it and my last car, but it's still rough on cars.. During the winter you can see all the salt crystallized everywhere. I was amazed in my recent trip to california where I saw so many cars that should have been long-since dead with not a hint of corrosion :(

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='InterCooled']Have none of your tried Mother's products????[/quote] Yep. Griot's spanked 'em. Kevin[/quote] REALLY!!! I am going to have to try them. Only problem is that it isn't readily available in Canada. I will have to order it direct. Bummer :cry: Kevin, do you use all of their car products or just the wax? What is your arsenal?? Thanks Adam

You guys have to try the new Meguiars wax. I just got some and it's the easiest wax to put on and take off, even on black. It's the best I've tried so far, and I tried just about all of them. [url]http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?parentURL=../collections/index.cfm?CID=360&sku=G-127[/url] I ordered the whole kit for $39- free shipping. [url]http://www.meguiars.com/collections/index.cfm?CID=360[/url]

[quote name='InterCooled'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='InterCooled']Have none of your tried Mother's products????[/quote] Yep. Griot's spanked 'em. Kevin[/quote] REALLY!!! I am going to have to try them. Only problem is that it isn't readily available in Canada. I will have to order it direct. Bummer :cry: Kevin, do you use all of their car products or just the wax? What is your arsenal?? Thanks Adam[/quote] The whole shlemozzle: car wash, lambswool wash mitt (my dog wants to kill it, btw...), microfiber drying towels, waxes and polishes. They make keeping your car looking perfect idiot proof. Kevin

Ok I give, being a NE slick salt driver, I've got serious wax interest. But frankly I'm flumoxed on all the steps I've seen come up here. Anyone want to post a detailed detailing HOW-TO? Or could someone at least tell me what clay is for other than making pots? -NP

Archived