LegacyGT.com

Wax

Th3Franz

[quote name='NoblePrawn']Ok I give, being a NE slick salt driver, I've got serious wax interest. But frankly I'm flumoxed on all the steps I've seen come up here. Anyone want to post a detailed detailing HOW-TO? Or could someone at least tell me what clay is for other than making pots?[/quote] Clay bars are for removing little bits of stuff that are stuck to your paint. They stick to the clay bar easier than they do to your car. I'll leave the detailing how-to to the professionals, though. All I know is wash, dry, polish, wax.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Try this site for good detailing tips: [url]http://www.properautocare.com/detailingtips.html[/url] That's where I order my Klasse AIO from. BTW, claying is very easy to do and the results (especially on dirty paint) are amazing. Ken

[quote name='NoblePrawn']Ok I give, being a NE slick salt driver, I've got serious wax interest. But frankly I'm flumoxed on all the steps I've seen come up here. Anyone want to post a detailed detailing HOW-TO? Or could someone at least tell me what clay is for other than making pots? -NP[/quote] It would be nice to get some nice synthetic wax recommendations too, since it's hard to wax the car for most of the winter, and natural doesn't last too long.

[quote name='Deer Killer']It would be nice to get some nice synthetic wax recommendations too, since it's hard to wax the car for most of the winter, and natural doesn't last too long.[/quote] Klasse All-in-One. Great stuff. Goes on easy. Buffs out easy. Lasts a long time. Use Klasse High Gloss Sealant and it's even better. I wash every week and find that it's good for about 6 months. Ken

I know some guys who use the Klasse, and they swear by it. I picked up a clay bar, but I am torn between Meguiar's NXT, Klasse, and Zymol wax. Zymol is the only natural wax of the group, but I saw the results on a friend's car, and I was impressed. I haven't seen a car that had just had Klasse applied, yet.

[quote name='Th3Franz']I know some guys who use the Klasse, and they swear by it. I picked up a clay bar, but I am torn between Meguiar's NXT, Klasse, and Zymol wax. Zymol is the only natural wax of the group, but I saw the results on a friend's car, and I was impressed. I haven't seen a car that had just had Klasse applied, yet.[/quote] I've been using Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax and think it's great and I've tried most. Gives it that car show look. Easy to put on and buff off. I use cheese cloth for the initial rub off and then buff with white cotton knit rag. Whole process takes less than an hour. Erases swirl marks on a black car. Makes washing much easier also, I give my car a sponge bath every couple days if it needs it or not(takes less than 15 minutes) and it always looks like a showroom car.

I have finally got around to waxing my GT this weekend: I use Meguiars Gold class wash: [url]http://www.meguiars.com.au/Products_Retail_PC_W.htm[/url] and Meguiars Gold class wax: [url]http://www.meguiars.com.au/Products_Retail_PC_PP.htm[/url] The car has a deep shine that a simple wash cannot give it. I am also of the opinion that the car stays cleaner longer if it is regularly waxed, as any water "sheets" off the paintwork. Cheers, Matt

[quote name='jedimaster']Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax over here.[/quote] Same here, its readily available around here. And I am happy with the results. [img]http://pics.montypics.com/nickg/2003-12-05/1070686779_P1010001.jpg[/img]

Matrone, good to have you back on board. Not sure if I will ever wax my car, to be honest, it scares me. As I have said before and for the new, I have a MY01 Liberty/Legacy and from new I have never had the need to wax it ever. I use Polyglaze, Wash & Revive which has a Wax and conditioner in the liquid wash which works great. I have even had other car owners with preformance cars ask me if I have a special coat on the paint as it shines that well. You can buy this stuff at Autobarn and I think you can even get it at coles. so its really cheap and does a fantastic job. Just make sure the water when you put it in, is really warm if not hot. This seems to make the wax react alot better. Leave the soap on for about a minute but not in direct sunlight. Then rinse, chamois and I even use a dry towel after that. Its like washing the car 4 times but the shine is fantastic. The best chamois to use is Kanebo which is made in Japan and is also available from Autobarn.

[quote name='Xenonk']I use Meguiar's Gold Class products (Liquid Wax, Clay, Bug Remover, Polisher, and Detailer). That usually makes the car just looks soo wet looking. And FEELS LIKE GLASS. Keefe[/quote] If you like that wax you'll love the new Meguiar's NXT wax. It's better than the Gold Class.

I have been busy with work etc. :( I have used the polyglaze before; and agree that it works really well; however when I wash with Meguiars, the car is still quite clean even at the end of the week. (when it is due for its next wash :-) Must be just me I guess :mrgreen: -Matt

That sounds ok Matt, just use what works. Hope you bought all new gear for the car such as sponges and rags etc ??? Best place to get rags is Bunnings, they are great for just polishing the car once u have washed and dried it.

Just picked up some Meguiar's gold class car wash, Zymol wax, and a Claymagic claybar. I plan to order some good microfiber drying towels this week, and then I'll be ready to do a total detail of the car. :D Oh and I got some buffer pads for the orbital buffer, but I'm not sure if I'll use it or not..

Okay, so there are plenty of opinions on washing and waxing, but what about treating the interior and leather seating? I have been tempted to purchase a duster and give the interior a few swipes to remove the SoCal desert dust, but what will protect the interior best? As for the seating, I have no idea. Oh, and you know those scuff marks that you make on the doors when entering and exiting? What about those? How can you remove those?

[quote name='SC GT']Zaino is a great synthetic wax. And as I mentioned in another thread, 303 is great for cleaning your dash.[/quote] I've used Zaino for years with great results. It lasts a long time but the initial application is a real job. They recommend you claybar and wash the car with "Dawn" twice before applying to remove any deposits on the paint. The product is applied in layers, first Z1 to prep the surface( you do NOT remove this layer), then Z2 (actual polish) and then Z3 to seal. What is cool is that you can keep applying layers 2 and 3 making the shine deeper and deeper. Just make sure that the Z2 layer is dry before attempting removal. It does take a good while to dry, overnight sometimes if the weather is damp or cool, but if hot and dry it should be ready in about 2 hrs. Unlike regular waxes it can be applied in direct sunlight and it does not leave that ugly white residue on all the black rubber and plastic trim...it actually makes it look better. One word of warning...more is not better...apply very thin layers for the best results. Maintenance is super easy once the first applications are made; Z1 once a year, Z2 twice a year, Z3 whenever you feel like boosting the shine.

Here is a great website with some how-to's. [url]http://www.carcareonline.com/[/url] I live in Massachusetts and drive 25-30 miles per day - from December through March my black car pretty much has a white tint to it from road salt. I've used One Grand Blitz carnuba wax on my last two cars, waxing them twice per year. I sold my last car, a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI with 130K miles without a spot of rust. My current car, a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T has 125K miles without a hint of rust. (Notice the pattern - AWD 4-cyl turbos. Guess what car is next in line.)

Archived