LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

well, my insurance doesn't cover rot or mold. so all that damage is off the claims table. not sure much of anything will be covered, but we'll see. almost a $2k deductible too.

insurance is balogna.

who told you that? You get it in writing? Keep in mind that policies are meant to cover everything. ISO and insurance departments can fix that problem, but you wouldn't like the way they fixed it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my insurance doesn't cover rot or mold. so all that damage is off the claims table. not sure much of anything will be covered, but we'll see. almost a $2k deductible too.

insurance is balogna.

$2k is better than the $10k

No chance of going to the pre-purchase inspectors insurance?

• 3 weeks later...

What's a good way to build a long shelf? Any sort of easy/customizable DIY kits for somebody that doesn't have any woodworking tools?

I'm thinking about putting in a fairly long shelf over my TV, to put some plants on. Shelf would probably be 60-70" long (60" tv = 53" wide, and I want a shelf that's wider than the tv). I don't care if it's a floating shelf or uses corbels. Would have to be able to support a good bit of weight, and I'm thinking I'd want it to be a little deeper than the ~10" or so that seems standard with floating shelves from say, Ikea. Maybe 12-13"?

Going for something like this...only over a tv instead of a bed

66eb8111e9704bbfb41d9de2d6fa6775.jpg

SO you have no woodworking tools.... Why wouldn't you just buy one? Im sure they make them online, or have a local woodwork shop do it.

Otherwise you're just going to have a non-routered edge and be subject to essentially a flat edged shelf. They make some decent pre-fab stuff like that.

Cheapest:

Big box home improvement store sells 12 inch pine boards that are like 1/2" think. Stain / paint it and mount it on enough corbels to support it.

Better:

What would look better is going to a local hardwood place that cuts boards pick one out, stain it / oil it to bring out the grain. floating shelf mount it.

I really like using the cheap-o pine boards to figure out what I want.

Don't have a ton of space in my house for storage of stuff I realistically won't use often.

Do have a friend that has a lot of tools, and there's a local "maker space" thing where I can take a couple classes then go use their tools as needed, so that is an option.

Cheapest:

Big box home improvement store sells 12 inch pine boards that are like 1/2" think. Stain / paint it and mount it on enough corbels to support it.

I thought it might be that simple, but I also found tutorials like this one that show building a framed out shelf, which seemed unnecessary.

http://blog.homedepot.com/diy-floating-shelves/

Also, looks like I should maybe be looking for "brackets" as opposed to "corbels". Didn't see any weight ratings on the corbels on home depot's site, but the stuff in the bracket has weight ratings.

Is there a reason that this has to be handmade? This is one of those things that I would never really think of making unless there simply wasn't a good alternative in the retail market. Guessing that there are quite a few options to buy out there.

Is there a reason that this has to be handmade? This is one of those things that I would never really think of making unless there simply wasn't a good alternative in the retail market. Guessing that there are quite a few options to buy out there.

Just because I might want a really long shelf that can support a good bit of weight (potted plants in decorative containers), and my (admittedly cursory) search so far has mostly turned up shorter options, or longer options that are only 5-6" deep.

Although now I'm also thinking it might look more interested to have a few ~2 ft shelves that are sort of vertically offset from each other (like ___ ---- ___ ---___), in which case premade shelves would work.

took a quick peak - home depot has a few 5-6 feet in length that are $50 give or take... Hold 15-20 pounds. No corbels. If you added those, you can likely up that number.

I like the staggered shorter shelf look over one large shelf. Breaks up the symmetry. If you do that, there are tons of options. check wayfair or something.

• 2 months later...
Upgrading the lights in my dad's garage for him, mostly because I end up using it the most. The LED retrofits were obviously shipped carelessly. Every single tube was damaged. Bit of a bummer as I was looking forward to a brighter garage for doing my 6 speed swap.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Upgrading the lights in my dad's garage for him, mostly because I end up using it the most. The LED retrofits were obviously shipped carelessly. Every single tube was damaged. Bit of a bummer as I was looking forward to a brighter garage for doing my 6 speed swap.

I tend to go to the Depot to get lighting, Lithonia Lighting has yet to fail me. Used their low temp florescent lights in the last home i was in, and their LED lights in the new one. mucho light. and when shopping locally, you can return to get good/unbroken lights.

I did get quartz countertops installed. been meaning to post up a picture...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 2 weeks later...

Future son room is finally painted (need very minor touch up) just need to bring in a electrician. His furniture is getting delivered this Saturday.

Changed out the analog (mercury) T-Stat to a Honeywell digital and the condenser fan unit went into lock-out. Had to call my dad HVAC person. He came and he replace a fuse in the unit and replace the T-Stat now it's working fine. The T-stat I had it did not have a terminal for the blue wire (common wire).

Replace my 42" Panasonic Plasma smart 3D it just shut off while Trump was giving a speech last Friday and it would not turn back on. I had it for almost 7 years. I finally replaced it with a 55" Sony Bravia X900E. OMG big difference in picture quality.

Speaking of led lights, my boss had the shop converted over to all leds a couple months ago. We went from cave like to (insert make-up store) brightness. It made such a huge difference and we have to be the brightest shop in Delaware. I always compare it to those stores like Sephora because once you see lighting coming out of a store like that, you don't forget it lol

Not a home improvement but oh well.

I'm working on a project at work and we recently installed from 2x4' LED light panels... roughly $140/ea for 40w but are extremely bright and are fed from 110-277 and have internal transformers. Best part is, they can be flush mounted or recessed, have brackets for both, AND they're like 1" thick when flush mounted.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-panel-light/dimmable-40-watt-led-panel-light-fixture-2ft-x-4ft/3589/8581/

They have some cheaper options with white frames or different power draw and such as well, down to about $80.

I have gone to 5000K color LED bulbs everywhere except the living rooms. It makes a ton of difference with my old eyes. Two neighbors have asked about the front porch light on my rental houses. One says it's too bright and one says they want one just like it.

• I Donated
Two neighbors have asked about the front porch light on my rental houses. One says it's too bright and one says they want one just like it.

:lol:

"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I prefer 2700K bulbs, though. Color reproduction is less accurate, but they're easier on the eyes IMO. Artificial light is much more directional than sunlight, and you never look directly at the sun but you do look directly at light bulbs. When you look directly at light bulbs, the lower color temps are less likely to "look" too bright.

I prefer 2700K bulbs, though. Color reproduction is less accurate, but they're easier on the eyes IMO. Artificial light is much more directional than sunlight, and you never look directly at the sun but you do look directly at light bulbs. When you look directly at light bulbs, the lower color temps are less likely to "look" too bright.

I agree. I don't understand the fascination with trying to reproduce the spectrum of daylight. I do appreciate full spectrum lights in winter months (or generally gray areas), but your eyes do better in low light with warmer temperatures. I don't think the more accurate color spectrum is helpful unless you just have brighter lights.

• 2 weeks later...
Now my wife want me to repaint our son room because the room look sad. I painted it light grey, ceiling is white and his furniture is rusty grey. I guess now she want's white color walls to lighting the room up.