LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

It will just be a white room with a white ceiling. If you paint it white it will just look "stark".

Why not go with an actually bright color - blue, yellow, green etc to make it not look sad?

I like neutral color. I'm going to work around the grey color with bright accessory and decoration to make the room feel more happy.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess i can take some before photo's, but we were going to have a little work done to our master bath (new 36" vanity, new tile around tub, new shower door and fan, etc.) but just friday we decided to remove the tub entirely and put in a giant shower there (42" x 60" with 15" bench). we'll swallow up the current 36x36 shower alcove into the master closet. no tub (we almost never use it...).

i'll get a before picture up so that it's more meaningful to add an after picture.

i do keep trying to get the wife to let us putnin an ofuro tub to put in that alcove instead, but i think it'd have to be free for her to agree (and none of the ofuro tubs are free...).

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

No pictures but I had a landscaper friend out on Thursday to dethatch, overseed, and fertilize. Now to jack up my water bill (F me) and hope the seed takes so I don't have one of the more mediocre yards on the street.

A couple people at one end got hit with dandelions really badly this year, yellow brick road badly, and they started to creep into my yard, mainly because it was so thin.

My front yard has been a black plastic tarp for a year. My neighbors have to hate it. It looks so trashy. I really really need "fix it".

I need to remove some dirt off the top and load it with 3 inches of wood chips. Would look "better" and give me time to figure out what I want to do.

My front yard has been a black plastic tarp for a year. My neighbors have to hate it. It looks so trashy. I really really need "fix it".

I need to remove some dirt off the top and load it with 3 inches of wood chips. Would look "better" and give me time to figure out what I want to do.

at least no plants are growing under there (probably), weeds or not. might be a few snakes though.

our neighbor just gave us a free big pile of barkdust, so our front looks pretty good again. need to fix a front sprinkler line that cracked, and a few valve heads, and get back on the watering in the front.

homeownership. there's always something.

oh yeah, and to follow up on my last group of posts, we had the leak on the front of our house, lots of rot and mold, had it all repaired and figured we'd submit a claim to insurance (they denied it all for several reasons), and now they're demanding we take a bunch of our siding and some roof off to redo all the flashing on the house cause the builders built it wrong, or else they'll drop us. funniest part is that no insurance person has ever been at this home before (we've also had a roofing person out to specifically look at the roof flashing and he added a few things). so we're looking for a new insurance provider, cause we're not taking all our siding off.

insurance. what a pain in the @ss.

True - no weeds is why I did it. And, I don't have to worry about snakes.

I do have flies. They are like large gnats and they just buzz all around my property. No idea where they came from or how to kill them. They aren't attracted to the smelly normal fly trap bag or the fruit fly trap. I guess a insect light is the next step.

No pictures but I had a landscaper friend out on Thursday to dethatch, overseed, and fertilize. Now to jack up my water bill (F me) and hope the seed takes so I don't have one of the more mediocre yards on the street.

A couple people at one end got hit with dandelions really badly this year, yellow brick road badly, and they started to creep into my yard, mainly because it was so thin.

Gotta keep that seed wet for a solid two weeks. daily!

And then try to stay off it as much as possible for a couple months.

Gotta keep that seed wet for a solid two weeks. daily!

And then try to stay off it as much as possible for a couple months.

30% rye and 70% Kentucky Blue... guy said the rye should be popping up in about a week and the blue in about a month. Said I won't be cutting my grass for about a month (seeded Thursday) so we'll see. I watered really well that Thursday and then it's rained pretty heavily every day since so I'm off to a good start I think.

I removed my above ground pool last year, and I grew seed at an amazing pace after I topsoiled, seeded, etc... But then I developed a grass fungus from too much (late day) watering. So a good amount of it died or thinned. Now im trying to get it back this year. Overseeded. Spreading compost over the area. Fertilizing, etc. We shall see.

My son's ridiculous love for playing baseball didn't help it. So there's a moratorium on baseball in the back yard until June 1st. :lol:

i guess i can take some before photo's, but we were going to have a little work done to our master bath (new 36" vanity, new tile around tub, new shower door and fan, etc.) but just friday we decided to remove the tub entirely and put in a giant shower there (42" x 60" with 15" bench). we'll swallow up the current 36x36 shower alcove into the master closet. no tub (we almost never use it...).

i'll get a before picture up so that it's more meaningful to add an after picture.

i do keep trying to get the wife to let us putnin an ofuro tub to put in that alcove instead, but i think it'd have to be free for her to agree (and none of the ofuro tubs are free...).

Converting tubs to shower only is fine if you have another tub or never plan to sell your home. But if you only have 1 tub and plan to sell it will make it a bit harder. You just eliminated any home buyers with young children. Which is a lot of people.

Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind.

30% rye and 70% Kentucky Blue... guy said the rye should be popping up in about a week and the blue in about a month. Said I won't be cutting my grass for about a month (seeded Thursday) so we'll see. I watered really well that Thursday and then it's rained pretty heavily every day since so I'm off to a good start I think.

My lawn would be waist high if I didn’t mow for a month!

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

For the smaller kids, they make inflatable inserts that are GREAT, even when you have a tub, as you use far less water, and the sides are soft.

Once the kid is like 2-3 ish, you can really start showering them (YMMV). It's that in between age (that's pretty short) where it becomes an issue You can just use a handheld shower wand thingy I guess... But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ive been mowing mine on the highest setting ever 3 or so days.

My lawn would be waist high if I didn’t mow for a month!

Yeah, I thought the same but he had me cut it one setting above scalping before he got there to dethatch so it's pretty short right now... we'll see how it is in a couple days after all the weekend rain and high 60s low 70s sun we're getting this week coupled with the starter fertilizer... :spin:

I'm usually cutting twice a week in the spring so going a month is :eek:

I still need to capture a picture, but this is all in the master bath. there's also another bathroom on the second floor for the kids with a basic shower/tub combo (as well as sink and toilet). there's also a half bath downstairs, which has so much room that we'll either pull the laundry into it eventually, or could add in a shower as well. it's awkwardly big at the moment, and has a pedestal sink too, to maximize the giantness emptiness.

the current tub is in a built out box that's ~40" wide by 76" long, with a strange 3" merger wall (between tub box and vanity), then a ~80" double sink vanity (currently like 32" tall). so we're essentially replacing the tub space with a shower (with a bench on the vanity end) and will put the new vanity in the same vanity spot. current shower is in a 36x36 alcove, but is 33x33 inside, but some is taken up by shower head/control, etc. tiny master bath shower in a giant master bath.

just chose out tile today. i wanted an acrylic shower pan and would give in so the wife could have tile walls, but she got the tile floor she wants. i've just heard so many leak/water damage stories.

the new vanity arrived and is in the garage, and the countertop people are paid and waiting for the vanity to be installed. the bathroom will continue to have a grey wood looking vinyl plank just like i installed (some is being redone due to the layout changes). also getting a new toilet to replace the "builders special" that clogs for any solid matter.

so wait, you guys think that a 42" x 60" shower is big? i mean, it's not small, but the space is there and a standard alcove is 36x60. and they sell 42x60, 48x60, and even sizes up to 66 and 70+. usually not over 48" wide though unless square.

Edited by Flinkly

Your are right about tile shower floors... They are oftentimes the source of leakage. Just maintain that grout!

my wife is in it for form, i'm in it for function.

she asked why have an ugly white shower pan (which i was opting for a Kohler Groove pan in white, with aluminum drain trough cover. i thought that was pretty chic...), i told her it'd be easier to clean and much lower chance for leaks. and if it does, it'll be obvious (I assume a crack, cause i've never seen a pan leak).

she asked the contractor (of course, cause i'm not a professional and my opinion is invalid) and he said a tile floor will last longer than a fiberglass/acrylic pan (both fading and physical durability) and said they don't leak and are way easier to keep clean (tile).

he obviously isn't around for the leak down the road, or the monthly cleaning of the rough tile/grout floor with tons of little tiles and grout lines...

also, all three of our current acryilic pans/showers/tubs are all just fine, and 20 years old. no leaks, no discoloration, no replacements due to issues.

Tile on concrete is another story. Though it can still result in issues when water gets caught underneath, and starts popping styles, creeps under other room flooring, etc. It's still really nice though. Some of the solid piece shower pans are really nice.

You'll be fine with it.

he's building on what i think is called "Hydroblock". a closed cell foam board with a skin layer of modified concrete (i think for "stickiness" to the tile adhesive stuff - mortar?). wife pulled up Youtube videos of people using it and all i could see was the 18 joints they were sealing up along just the floor. what happens when one joint or once section of a joint isn't sealed? or when it isn't sealed a few years after install? slow water leak and major damage. hopefully we're out by then...

and i'm sure we're going to be the lucky 95% of people that don't have a problem. crosses fingers.

the pan i wanted:

kohler_k_9996_alternate_view_0.jpg

but instead of alcove, wall on left and back, shower head on left, bench on right side (beyond the pan, bench in tile...), and glass walls on front and right at end of bench. but it's not happening. lol

Right or wrong, the way I saw a pan was "supposed" to be built was:

• Frame area using 2x4, plywood, etc as necessary. Plumb the drain.
  • Roofing paper or similar, possibly rubber, staple everywhere, cut out for drain. Only has to go up the wall 1-2 feet.
  • Literally tar it in place, making a rubber/tar bowl. Nothing can leak.
  • Pour concrete or mortar over the bottom, slope toward drain, then run concrete tile board over the walls. The concrete board will cover up the rubber/tar paper on the wall so it overlaps like a shingle.

I've never built one but the process makes sense.

I will say though, I stayed in an Aloft hotel in Austin last year and they had those pans like you pictured and I really liked the aesthetics of it but man was it loud when water hit it. Their drain ran along the back wall instead of the side like that one but I imagine you could have it drain on any side if you wanted it to.