LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got on the schedule to get a new jackshaft garage door operator installed. gonna be super quiet compared to our chain drive, which is why we're doing it. will be internet capable too with fancy features...

They are super easy to install. I did mine. It is also rediculously quiet.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Had AT&T fiber installed with their gigabit package. Currently have sub-10ms pings across the country and easily get 700mbps down and 900 up.

I support job sites with 200+ people on less than that.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I support job sites with 200+ people on less than that.

We've got 60/60 at work for about 45 office folks. It's brutal sometimes when downloading large CAD files from suppliers. Business class fiber is immensely expensive too - our internet as is is supposedly $1400 or something a month because it's guaranteed uptime with sub-15 minute outage guarantees or something.

In other news, I downloaded a 4.4gb ISO for Windows 10 in about 90 seconds... I bumped into what I'm assuming is 400mbps limit from Microsoft's servers.

Best part is, this service is saving me money over Spectrum/Time Warner.

Time Warner - $187/mo

- 100mbps down, 10mbps up (I usually got 120/12)

- Middle tier TV package, no HBO or sports channels

- 1 DVR, 1 HD box. DVR records 2 shows at once

AT&T - $142/mo

- Gigabit synchronous (I get about 800/900)

- 2/5 lowest TV package, same channels as before, free HBO/Starz/Cinemax for 3mo

- 1 DVR, 1 HD box. DVR records 4 shows at once with playback to the entire house. Non-DVR box can program recordings and pause live TV too via DVR box.

The neat thing about this U-Verse is, if you get U-Verse TV instead of the DirecTV option, all the TV is handled via ethernet instead of coax.

Door jamb on my rear door is wood, and I noticed rot at the bottom 1-2 inches on both sides. Suggestions on best way to fix?

Remove rot (hammer and chisel?), patch with wood putty, then sand and paint?

Or patch it with a piece of 2x4 (or whatever size would fit best), then putty to fill any gap and make it look flush?

Maybe a noob question, but I'm a noob homeowner.

We've got 60/60 at work for about 45 office folks. It's brutal sometimes when downloading large CAD files from suppliers. Business class fiber is immensely expensive too - our internet as is is supposedly $1400 or something a month because it's guaranteed uptime with sub-15 minute outage guarantees or something.

In other news, I downloaded a 4.4gb ISO for Windows 10 in about 90 seconds... I bumped into what I'm assuming is 400mbps limit from Microsoft's servers.

Best part is, this service is saving me money over Spectrum/Time Warner.

Time Warner - $187/mo

- 100mbps down, 10mbps up (I usually got 120/12)

- Middle tier TV package, no HBO or sports channels

- 1 DVR, 1 HD box. DVR records 2 shows at once

AT&T - $142/mo

- Gigabit synchronous (I get about 800/900)

- 2/5 lowest TV package, same channels as before, free HBO/Starz/Cinemax for 3mo

- 1 DVR, 1 HD box. DVR records 4 shows at once with playback to the entire house. Non-DVR box can program recordings and pause live TV too via DVR box.

The neat thing about this U-Verse is, if you get U-Verse TV instead of the DirecTV option, all the TV is handled via ethernet instead of coax.

Uverse TV is great. Amazing picture.

Find out why it rotted first. So it doesn't happen again. You may want to remove that part of the door jamb (or all of it). Check the framing and wall cavity too. Make sure it's not wet, rotting, moldy etc - on the siding sheathing or drywall.

Jamb is probably 1x.

Find out why it rotted first. So it doesn't happen again. You may want to remove that part of the door jamb (or all of it). Check the framing and wall cavity too. Make sure it's not wet, rotting, moldy etc - on the siding sheathing or drywall.

Jamb is probably 1x.

I'll post a picture of the back area. I want to get an awning over the back of the house, which would help keep moisture away.

I think that it wasn't caulked between the bottom of the jamb and the concrete off the back of the house. City rowhome, where there's a concrete pad outside the back door.

Door jamb on my rear door is wood, and I noticed rot at the bottom 1-2 inches on both sides. Suggestions on best way to fix?

Remove rot (hammer and chisel?), patch with wood putty, then sand and paint?

Or patch it with a piece of 2x4 (or whatever size would fit best), then putty to fill any gap and make it look flush?

Maybe a noob question, but I'm a noob homeowner.

I would like to some pictures in this thread:rolleyes::wub:

In two days it'll be two weeks since I've cut my grass. Luckily we've had rain a bit so I haven't had to pillage my water bill too much.

Grass is green, the rye is germinating, no sign of the Kentucky blue yet. I've spot treated some more areas with more seed and covered them with peat moss. I'm going to try and make it another week at least until I mow to give those areas time to start. It's starting to look like a jungle or an abandoned property. My landscaper guy said "about a month" but I don't know if I can go that long.

I've already joked with my neighbors that I have goats on order to take care of the yard. :lol:

- Replace bi-fold double closet door in son room (need to be painted).

- Remove ceiling fan/light from son room.

- Painted the ceiling white in son room.

- Trim the main floor shoe/coat closet door.

- New hardware for stair railing (one mount broke in half).

- Re-align storm door now it's latching properly.

Talk to my sister electrician I only need the attic fan to be wired to a switch and my son room ceiling light to be wired to an existing switch.

If I don't here anything from this electrician by this Sunday. I'm calling my back-up electrician.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my project from the last week.

I recently started a new job working from home. I had wanted to upgrade to dual monitors at home for a while, so that was the motivation that finally pushed me forward to take on the project.

My challenges: I have a USB Docking Station on my personal laptop. Then I got another laptop from my new employer, and I wanted to use them both on real monitors without connecting and disconnecting cables all the time. I also didn't want two laptops sitting on a desk surface eating up a lot of space. I had an old 6 drawer dresser next to my old desk. The desk was too narrow for dual monitors, and the dresser was too wide for the space to allow a wider desk.

A new wider desk was non negotiable. Replacing the dresser was a compromise solution. Ended up buying a desk from Ikea, and begrudgingly bought a dresser from the same collection to match. The desk is solid, the dresser is ... typical Ikea. At least it was only $200?

I bought some new monitors and started playing with the setup. I was going to have laptops to the left of the monitors at first, but started to find reasons that to the right might be a better configuration. I also wanted a shelf above the desk for bookshelf speakers and my printer, like my old setup. I also knew that I wanted to somehow stack the laptops above each other when docked.

I went back to the Ikea well for the shelf. But after I started to look at the option of using closed end brackets for the shelf, I was inspired to stack the laptops on shelves and open up a little more desk space entirely. I cut down the shelving to the appropriate lengths. I also knew I wanted some bias lighting under the main shelf and behind the monitors, so I continued to fund the Swedes with some LED strips. I didn't want the leds to shine in my face, so I bought a 1/2" x 3/4" strip of pine and stained it to match the rest of the furniture and shelving and used that as a shield for the lighting.

I still have a little cable management to tend to, but happy to have my office set up and working well now. Also working on recovering the speaker grilles.

Attached are the obvious before and after pics.

Before.thumb.jpg.fba1994a79c2fa970d66b0d1d4114022.jpg

After.thumb.jpg.d83271529e7d1ba0ffbed3ae82db786f.jpg

2.5hrs finally the electric is done in son room and ceiling light is now installed and now wired to the existing switch. The Attic is a dam oven.

This week I have to patch up (4) holes in the drywall.

Edited by amusa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just modded my brand new vanity cabinets to fit the undermount sinks we'll be using. did a cutout in that horizontal strip so the bowl of the sink has a place to exist and chiseled out a few layers of plywood from each side to give me an extra 1/8th inch and some wiggle room.

overall bathroom remodel is nearly done, just waiting on some trim to arrive, glass shower walls to be installed, and the countertop people who come tomorrow. the new shower used to be a tub, and we removed the old shower and obsorbed it into the closet (which is like a 5th room now. massive...).

oh, and need the wife to finish painting.9852872d1ba6f3680decec9d446174c2.jpgc46f486d96c74a0190d8b7cf29e15233.jpg

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• 1 year later...

Lol, should post a finished picture of the master bath.

As for today, we recently had our giant 2 level deck torn out and stamped concrete pad put in. Today i'm putting in a temp 4 step stair from our back door to the pad. $100 just for temp materials. Final steps and landing will eat quite a bit of room...

c3e795acb9b00a3357c66f943ffd9c0a.jpg

Oh no, i just did little parts here and there. Contractor did most of the shower (i hate tile), i ordered the glass done on my own, and the counter. They pulled the old shower and bathtub. I had actually done the floor prior (used to be carpet), but they redid it with the same vinyl plank.

I did little things like faucets, lights, mirror, towel bars, doorknobs, etc. Not worth my time to do the other things.