LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 'similar, but not matching siding, is not gonna look that great. Trust me. It would be nice to be in your back yard and look at the back of the house and love it. Not real stone... The 'fake stone' shit that's out there is really nice. Or the high end shiplap vinyl would make a nice accent. Lots of options. Since its such a small area, it would look really good for hellacheap. Even if you went with real stone, it would be worth it IMO. don't perpetuate the aluminum either. lol

Got a new fridge yesterday to replace the 25+ year old GE. It's not that the GE died, but it was small, loud, and didn't have an automatic ice maker.

Replaced it with a Frigidaire 25.5 cubic foot side-by-side with that "no prints" stainless steel that I got on sale at Lowe's for $300 off or something... pretty good deal for $860 out the door I think.

After the new fridge and freezer got to temp (three whole hours? really?), we moved all the food over and I got the old fridge into the basement for beer, sodas we don't drink, and more freezer space for CostCo runs.

Moving on up, getting fancy stuff my friends and family have had for a decade :lol:

You get the extended warranty? If not, see how much it is via square trade. The modern day electronics on these appliances almost always result in something needed in the first 5 years or so. We got the Lowes plan with our fridge (clearance fridge, scored a great deal), and they were great. Sent out the local appliance people who basically replaced every panel on it before they figured out the problem one. lol... The stove we used square trade, and basically the same thing. The back panel had a small led light that went out. I wouldn't have replaced it if it wasn't under warranty (it was past factory). They replaced the entire rear control panel ($600 repair) for free.

By the way, both of these appliances were 'the well reviewed ones.' In speaking with appliance guys, they all have their issues nowadays.

• I Donated
a 'similar, but not matching siding, is not gonna look that great. Trust me. It would be nice to be in your back yard and look at the back of the house and love it. Not real stone... The 'fake stone' shit that's out there is really nice. Or the high end shiplap vinyl would make a nice accent. Lots of options. Since its such a small area, it would look really good for hellacheap. Even if you went with real stone, it would be worth it IMO. don't perpetuate the aluminum either. lol

Meh. We're going to do additions on both sides of the house eventually anyway, at which point we'll redo all the siding. And as I said, nobody can see this part of our house anyway from the street or another house, and we don't use our back porch for more than grilling that much, and even when we do, we use a part where this side isn't visible unless you go to the very edge of the porch. I am not worried. It will look close enough, and will serve the function it needs to (weather protection).

You get the extended warranty? If not, see how much it is via square trade. The modern day electronics on these appliances almost always result in something needed in the first 5 years or so. We got the Lowes plan with our fridge (clearance fridge, scored a great deal), and they were great. Sent out the local appliance people who basically replaced every panel on it before they figured out the problem one. lol... The stove we used square trade, and basically the same thing. The back panel had a small led light that went out. I wouldn't have replaced it if it wasn't under warranty (it was past factory). They replaced the entire rear control panel ($600 repair) for free.

By the way, both of these appliances were 'the well reviewed ones.' In speaking with appliance guys, they all have their issues nowadays.

I've had no problems with the electronics on my Samsung washer and dryer. Only repairs we've had was a warranty repair where they tightened the nut holding on the washer tub and a recall repair where they reinforced the hinge on the washer top. Electronics have been fine.

Of course, now I've probably jinxed it... :lol:

• I Donated
:lol:

Our Samsung fridge... Not so much.

My parents thought their LG fridge had broken at one point and needed a new mainboard. Turns out it was just a problem with an outlet upstream on the same circuit. Whenever you plugged in an appliance, it would cut off the other devices on the circuit. I replaced the outlet and all is good.

New stuff like this gives me the willies... water connection so I worry about it leaking, has less power draw than the old fridge but still, do I have the temps set correctly, etc.

I'm having trouble leveling it but then again, my floor isn't flat or level either. Freezer door hinge looks over-bent from the factory so it scraps the top of the door a little. Temps seem stable.

I did notice yesterday however, that it seemed as though it ran for 3-4 hours, constantly. I got a faint burnt rubber smell in my kitchen, definitely wafting out from under the fridge itself. I pulled it out from the wall, moved the rear cover, stuck my nose in the back and it's definitely coming from the fan area. Compressor was warm but not too hot to keep my hand on it, fan was spinning freely, not making noise, wires were room temp. Condenser coil was slightly above room temp but not hot.

I "let it ride" at the advice of a friend because it was 24 hours old at that point and it eventually shut off after apparently reaching the temp set points of -12F in the freezer and 34F in the fridge. I'm thinking it actually took 24 hours to go from 95F at the time I turned it on to -12/34 and that's why it ran for so long. My "let it ride" friend found something saying that as the compressor gets warm, not even hot, that it can do something to the rubber vibration mounts that can cause that smell when new, along with the fact that it runs longer cycles when new to get down to temp that the fan motor might get warmer than normal or something along those lines.

Edited by baconbits

The electronics (controller board) controller will handle the temperature, humidity and controls the process for how long it takes to stabilize the designated setting them basically maintain the present points. One more note, if you own a Samsung Refrigerator there is a known issue with the refrigerator fan freezing over during days of high humidity. It really helps having a heat gun, Phillips Screwdriver, simple remove 6 screws and 1/2 Your you are back running.

LG appliances (Goldstar) have been more trouble than they are worth. Great technology and features but from my personal experience not reliable.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I decided to install a zero waste Watts RO system today. First I have to remove the other system which is a chore in itself. Now that I have the other unit out I thought it would be a good idea to change the dish washer single socket plug to a Gang GFI so I can feed the recirculation pump from the same connection and add an extra point of safety. As usual it became a task to reckon with since there was no extra length of wire to just cut and reconnect. For over an hour I fought with 2 inches of original 10 wire to get to connect to the line side of the GFI. Now I need to start the plumbing connection to add extra shut off to the Hot and Cold values so the waste can be feed back to the hot water line.

Finished

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Edited by Yoda_One

• I Donated
Our downspouts are all piped out with 4" PVC at least 10 feet. The front corner is the 10-foot one and drains into a swale that goes towards the street. The others are all at least 20 feet, including the sump pump.

Well, there's a big ass river 8" from the foundation. :lol:

Depends on what they have done under the rocks, and also how often it rains in that area.

Using a sealing mat to keep the water in control and rocks on top to hide the sealing to give a nice appealing appearance is how I would do it.

453747.png

Our downspouts are all piped out with 4" PVC at least 10 feet. The front corner is the 10-foot one and drains into a swale that goes towards the street. The others are all at least 20 feet, including the sump pump.

Mine are all dumped into the clay tile drains at the base of the foundation. I'd love to use PVC or those flexible extensions to extend it away from the house but it's not really feasible given the landscaping and location of my downspouts. I mean, 10 feet of PVC a foot from my neighbor's driveway in the front yard is unsightly at best.

Depends on what they have done under the rocks, and also how often it rains in that area.

Using a sealing mat to keep the water in control and rocks on top to hide the sealing to give a nice appealing appearance is how I would do it.

Nothing good comes from standing water in a yard.

• I Donated
Mine are all dumped into the clay tile drains at the base of the foundation. I'd love to use PVC or those flexible extensions to extend it away from the house but it's not really feasible given the landscaping and location of my downspouts. I mean, 10 feet of PVC a foot from my neighbor's driveway in the front yard is unsightly at best.

Mine is buried.

I decided to install another No loss R/O for the Refrigerator. This requires a lot of planning to run 110v electricity to the location above the hot water heater in the garage. Since I will have to do a run(Romex) in the attic which is so physically draining from the heat it will be a good time to run lines for LEDs shop lights to the main light switch. I prefer to use plugins sockets instead hard wiring for the easy of maintenance. So today I did the LEDs light runs which of course has to be secured beams/ rafters with staples and cut the drywall and did the drops before heat exhaustion sets in. Maybe tomorrow I will do the Romex run for the 24v transformer connection for the R/O recirculation pump and secure the wires.

Hopefully I can complete the Shop LEDs and also make the plumbing pump line hot, which is the whole reason for this in the first place. Hopefully the R/O unit will be here so I can do the install and put this project to bed.

Edited by Yoda_One