LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That where I learned about R/Os my last Reef in Davie was 350 gallon top 150 gallon sub filtering bottom system with live coral. I donated that system to a museum since no way so could move it properly to mid Florida. This was my hobby for over thirty years and I still miss it. Reefs hobbiest are gone we did/ tried everything ( wiring lights building are own stands, chiller, filtration system etc.) , Now-a-days you head over to a fish store and buy everything or pay someone to do all the work. Also the cost of Coral is prohibitive.

Now to answer your question two most important intake for your body is the air we breath and the water we drink. The Air issue I control by having built-in ionizer in my dual heat pump HVACs and the industrial units run when needed to handle allergies. The water is all house filtration system an R/O for anything ingested.

The refrigerator is for ice and ice water so yes a R/O is ideal for this function.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Inline filters aren't good enough for you? You have to take it down to microns for your filtration? Don't get me wrong I'm all for good water, most water on ships is all either distilled, which I add Gatorade powder too to get some electrolytes, or R/O water. And it all starts as salt water which is why we have to purify it. For a house city water should be more than okay to drink. People have been doing it for ever and living plenty long. Helps build an immune system too rather than taking ALL the harmful stuff out

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Inline filters aren't good enough for you? You have to take it down to microns for your filtration? Don't get me wrong I'm all for good water, most water on ships is all either distilled, which I add Gatorade powder too to get some electrolytes, or R/O water. And it all starts as salt water which is why we have to purify it. For a house city water should be more than okay to drink. People have been doing it for ever and living plenty long. Helps build an immune system too rather than taking ALL the harmful stuff out

Yeah, I mean, as long as it doesn't have giardia or cholera in it, I'm cool... :lol:

R/O would get heavy metals out of it (Flint, MI) but then again, I trust my local water company to have their shit together too. They better, with how the rates have changed lately. :rolleyes:

"Conserve water to protect the environment"

[3 months later]

"Revenues are down because consumption is down, we need to raise rates"

• 3 months later...

damn.

no pictures yet but we have a leaky front window that we have someone out to fix today and it's gonna be a BIG fix. water damage and some siding and brick being redone. ugh. was already going to be a $5k-ish fix if things went well. things didn't go well.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Water damage is covered by your Insurance Company. They usually will pay for everything except what the cause.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

You would need to read the policy and really evaluate the cause of loss, how long it's been ongoing, etc. Every policy is a little different. Often times water that enters through doors, windows, etc are considered flood water and kick over to a flood insurance policy. Also, if this is deemed a long term issue, some policies don't like it.

Typically if you have a wear and tear issue to a roof, etc, the resulting water damage is oftentimes covered, however the point of failure is not (as you said).

tldr - every policy/state is a bit different on this one. Talk to your agent or promptly report it to your carrier for a coverage review if claim worthy.

yeah, while we haven't been living here long, it appears to have been a long term issue and i get the feeling that they'll not cover it. It for sure has been going on before we purchased the home. cost to fix the leaking window seal (which i'm still not sure is the cause) was going to be at least $2.5k in labor as well as new cedar shingles and sealing material. and paint down the road, since the construction guys don't do paint.

happy 2018.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I still contend... Don't buy a house. :lol:

Since we've lived here - I've had a hail storm wreck our roof, ice damming wreck our sunroom roof. Weight of ice and snow totally destroy our sunroom. And a pipe let go in our finished basement.

F homeownership.

I still contend... Don't buy a house. [emoji38]

Since we've lived here - I've had a hail storm wreck our roof, ice damming wreck our sunroom roof. Weight of ice and snow totally destroy our sunroom. And a pipe let go in our finished basement.

F homeownership.

But if I didn't invest in properties through my life, even major repair caused by renters, I wouldn't be financially in the position I am in my retirement years.

Thank G-d I am very handy.

Edited by Yoda_One

Unless you took the money and invested in something else that had a decent and relatively dependable return.... people usually forget that variable.

Real estate used to be a far safer investment prior to 2008. It's still all about timing but the return isn't as favorable as years back.

And doing the work yourself is a huge money saver but in this grand equation, you should value your time too!

I guess I got lucky with buying my house. Bank appraised it at X, my family member sold it to me for X-20% so I didn't have PMI, and now it's worth X+35%. I bought at the end of 2013 when the market was still kind of poo and the rates were low (3.375% on 15FRM) so as the market goes up, I'm only going to "make" money on it.

I should sell and enjoy $70k in my bank account for a minute before paying off student loans but then I'd be stuck in the rent cycle for the rest of my life and have nothing to show for it. :lol:

I guess I got lucky with buying my house. Bank appraised it at X, my family member sold it to me for X-20% so I didn't have PMI, and now it's worth X+35%. I bought at the end of 2013 when the market was still kind of poo and the rates were low (3.375% on 15FRM) so as the market goes up, I'm only going to "make" money on it.

I should sell and enjoy $70k in my bank account for a minute before paying off student loans but then I'd be stuck in the rent cycle for the rest of my life and have nothing to show for it. :lol:

All you really made on that house is the 20% you saved by a family member gifting you a discount. I don't understand how people go on believing your home is an investment. If you buy a rental property or a second home, that's an investment. But the home you live in is very rarely an investment unless you severely downsize, move to a much cheaper housing market, or go live in the woods. One way or another, you need a home, and selling your home just means you roll the money over into the next home.

Not my house per se, but improvements none the less and it's framing so I figure it applies.

I've been volunteering a bit to help a guy looking to open an indoor bouldering gym. Many years ago, I spent more time at the campus rec center on their bouldering wall than I did going to class which is probably why I didn't do so well the first couple years there. I haven't climbed in years and I'm excited to get back into it, especially because I can't get motivated to lift weights the traditional way.

Over a couple days after Christmas, we hung about 80 sheets of 3/4" plywood loaded with T-nuts to mount the climbing holds. Still need to fill the gaps between panels, sand, and then stain/poly. Lots more after that but that's the bulk of the work remaining.

Last picture is what it'll end up being like.

1.thumb.jpg.77afe76cddbb1df2b26e773beef0d1be.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b83bd010d4b1502d85e3ec9890bcfb28.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5283a18fe40f268f329873d4448f66f0.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.c9eb527476ef0fba0c8d026340abb8f0.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.58db0d72a40e2c15ccffc4bb1874ab70.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.a5e46c680d8aef321e579452e811128a.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.37e72750949fc4dfde27c715344e757b.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.7af4aa15f0fcad4a6a350c63ed661dc4.jpg