LegacyGT.com

2011 Sti Mufflers on wagon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I brought the car in and am now ordering the mandrel bent SS pipes and flanges/hangers to make it work and extend the tips. (I wanted to do stainless and mandrel bends because I'm really fussy about being as close to perfect as possible) He might try cutting out the inlet opening and expanding it to 2.25" so it matches the Perrin Y that I'm running. I was surprised to see the STi sedan muffler inlet pipes were the same size as on a stock LGT (1.75" I think) I might also pick up a second set and cut them open to see what was done internally. If I can also find a set of donor LGT mufflers, I'll cut both open and compare. The date of the fab/install is 2/20 or sooner if the parts arrive earlier.

I like the look of those quad tailpipes :cool:

In the UK we can get a system by Milltek - My car was already fitted with it when I bought it including sports cats and EcuTek remap ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/TailPipes/c8e7c67c-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/hoojamyflip/Legacy%20Twinscroll/TailPipes/c0b507e3-2.jpg

People still use EcuTek? Wow.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Crazy, I've been thinking about putting on a 11 sti cbe i have had for a two weeks on my 05 wagon but knew I would have to extend the tips and modify the cutout but it's a good look. also have a Perrin cbe now

Question ive got, which would you use? and why?

With the perrin mid pipe and the sti cans on there it gave it more of a tone. There is a little drone around 1200rpm and a tiny bit of rasp around 5000. I do like the sound overall but my wife sat in the back of my car and says it does get loud back there. This was with the radio off.

If you used the 11 sti cbe you would for sure get more of a tone out of your exhaust without the drone.

The cutout's actually were not modified but the hangers were for the cans.

Yea those cans with Perrin mid was probably something I wouldn't do. Was thinking maybe sti mid and Perrin from that? I'm thinking just the Perrin setup will do

If you did just the Perrin I'm sure it will be louder but I don't think you will get that drone. Once I get my go pro back this week I'll do some vids driving around outside and inside.

I already have a 3" Dynomax muffler welded into my exhaust and i'm getting a pair of STi cans today so i'll be able to post a vid of what it sounds like with a res. Only problem is I have an IHI Twinscroll so the boxer rumble will be missing. I'm hoping OEM STi's will be quieter than my Prodrives but after hearing yours I'm having doubts. (I thought OEM's would be quieter)

Got the car done today. The sound is exactly what I was looking for. You can hear the idle (Louder then my Prodrives) but the car stays quiet at cruise and at WOT. (I can hear the stock radio at 6 while cruising) My Prodrives were also quiet but were loud at WOT and fast cruising. (Honestly I could have easily lived with the Prodrives but I really wanted quad tips) I screwed up and ordered 2.25 SS straight piping to extend the tips and it needed to be 2.5 so I'll need to get the extenders redone at some point. I'll post a vid later.

• 4 weeks later...
Added some more pics and some video from inside the cab. The windows were up. It is a little louder in person than in the video. Also have a comparison now between stock mufflers and the sti mufflers.

• 2 weeks later...
Just to confirm, the intermediate y-pipe from the 2010-12 STI Sedan doesn't fit our BL/BP Legacies correct? Just the exhaust cans fit after the modifications described above? Thanks!

Just to confirm, the intermediate y-pipe from the 2010-12 STI Sedan doesn't fit our BL/BP Legacies correct? Just the exhaust cans fit after the modifications described above? Thanks!

I do not know if the y-pipe will fit. I did not have one to try. If you do have one to try out that would be awesome to know. The only thing you would have to modify would be the hangers.

• 2 months later...
I do not know if the y-pipe will fit. I did not have one to try. If you do have one to try out that would be awesome to know. The only thing you would have to modify would be the hangers.

anyone try this yet?

• 1 year later...

and were back from the dead..

I've got an 09 LGT, looking to pick up some 2012 wrx mufflers to mate up to my stock mid/y pipe. From what ive read, this will need to be done:

cut exhaust cut outs on bumper,

have new, rotated pipes fabbed to meet y pipe from cans

Anything I'm forgetting or can do differently? I just want to go quad tip, not expecting any significant sound or performance gains obv, especially only at stage 2.

and were back from the dead..

I've got an 09 LGT, looking to pick up some 2012 wrx mufflers to mate up to my stock mid/y pipe. From what ive read, this will need to be done:

cut exhaust cut outs on bumper,

have new, rotated pipes fabbed to meet y pipe from cans

Anything I'm forgetting or can do differently? I just want to go quad tip, not expecting any significant sound or performance gains obv, especially only at stage 2.

You should also check to make sure the hangers match up, because I feel like the rears needed to be cut off, then realigned and welded. Not totally sure on that, but it's easy enough to check before welding begins.

I have a set of WRX mufflers and wanted to see if they would mount on my 2008 OBK XT. Here are the differences I found...

Flanges need to be rotated 90 degrees

Only 1 hanger (front IIRC) can be used without modification. The other needs to be cut off or seriously reworked.

The twin tips look like they will fit in the factory bumper cutouts, but I didn't get them hung in place to verify where they will sit.

Needless to say, I have a set of take-off WRX mufflers for sale :lol:

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

So the hangers from the STI cans had to be cut and rewelded to fit. The flanges did have to be cut and readjusted. The exhaust tips fit just in the exhaust cutout on my gt wagon not sure on other models. It ran me about $140 to do with the purchase of the mufflers. It looks good and has decent sound.

• 4 weeks later...

So any conclusions on if this is worth it or not? I have a craiglist find of 2011 STI exhaust for $150 and a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT.

From this thread it seems that out of pocket costs will include extending the tips and modifying the bumper cutout? Right now I have no other exhaust modifications but going to get a catless up pipe and catted downpipe + Cobb Access port and accompanying map soon.

My goal is a daily driver, with very subtle boxer growl.

many thanks

Archived