LegacyGT.com

2011 Sti Mufflers on wagon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds a bit raspy, like mine does with stock mufflers. Any drone?

Does your mid pipe have (or had) a resonator?

My setup now (1 HFC, no resonator, 2.5" y-pipes, stock mufflers) has no rasp or drone. Granted, I do have exhaust leaks from a bent muffler flange and missing gasket, but still it's not raspy.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Mike, next time I see you, I'd like to hear this in person. Looks interesting. I think it looks great on your wagon.

Yeah definitely Joel. I literally just got it done this past weekend. Maybe at the next subie meet.

This looks and sounds awesome. What hangers did you get that lined up properly? Also, how much was the metal work to get the y-pipe oriented properly? I have the Perrin mid/y and might go this route.

Friend of a friend works at a exhaust shop. They had some pieces sitting around that worked good actually. As far as the y-pipe goes it was left the same. The piping on the mufflers themselves were cut, turned, a slightly larger pipe was put over and it was re-welded. I'll see if I can grab a picture this week sometime and put it up along with what else had to be done.

Does your mid pipe have (or had) a resonator?

My setup now (1 HFC, no resonator, 2.5" y-pipes, stock mufflers) has no rasp or drone. Granted, I do have exhaust leaks from a bent muffler flange and missing gasket, but still it's not raspy.

I've got a resonator, as my entire catback is stock. I'm running a cobb catted DP, and it sounds stock-quiet from the inside, but outside there's just not enough high-frequency muffling by the stock exhaust. I attribute it to the larger td06 turbine letting more noise out.

Almost sounds like my mom's old 2.8 corsica when we gutted the cat after it got plugged up. Really tinny. :lol:

It must be the turbo. I never noticed the rasp or anything. Maybe I'll drive with the windows down today to see.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Friend of a friend works at a exhaust shop. They had some pieces sitting around that worked good actually. As far as the y-pipe goes it was left the same. The piping on the mufflers themselves were cut, turned, a slightly larger pipe was put over and it was re-welded. I'll see if I can grab a picture this week sometime and put it up along with what else had to be done.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Some pics would be great, thanks.

I picked up a set of '11 cans for $50 today. mikeyvt, I'm trying to gauge whether I will need to extend the tips for my sedan, how much length did you add?

I would say about 5 inches. I'll take pics tomorrow for you if I get a chance. You have to figure the pipe going over the stock exhaust and the tips put onto the new pipe.

I would say about 5 inches. I'll take pics tomorrow for you if I get a chance. You have to figure the pipe going over the stock exhaust and the tips put onto the new pipe.

Great, thanks very much. What I am thinking is that since the OEM sedan tips (7 in) are 2 inches shorter than the OEM wagon tips, I'll just have to add about 3 inches to have the same fitment as yours, which I think look perfect.

I took my car and STI mufflers to a welding shop today. It looks like the wagon exhaust cutouts must be wider than the sedans. They had to cut 2-3 inches from the inner part of the gray plastic in order to accomodate the twin tips. Even then, the tips had to be pushed together rather than being spaced 1/4" apart as they are on the STI muffler.

Everything ended up working out, and I am very happy with the results. They look great IMO, and they sound a fair amount louder, without being too loud. The tone is deeper, particularly at lower RPMs.

By the time I got my car home from the shop, it was dark, but I took a few pictures. I also took a video clip of my car with the stock cans, and then tonight with the STI cans. My exhaust mods are STI up/ Megan Racing DP/ Perrin Mid/y

http://putnamco.shutterfly.com/pictures

(For some reason the videos turned into sound clips, but the sound still works. Both videos were taken at the same distance from the car)

I think they look good. Sorry I didn't get any pics up been busy. Glad you like them. Is there a drone that you notice on a rpm decrease in between 1400rpm - 1200rpm?

I took my car and STI mufflers to a welding shop today. It looks like the wagon exhaust cutouts must be wider than the sedans. They had to cut 2-3 inches from the inner part of the gray plastic in order to accomodate the twin tips. Even then, the tips had to be pushed together rather than being spaced 1/4" apart as they are on the STI muffler.

Everything ended up working out, and I am very happy with the results. They look great IMO, and they sound a fair amount louder, without being too loud. The tone is deeper, particularly at lower RPMs.

By the time I got my car home from the shop, it was dark, but I took a few pictures. I also took a video clip of my car with the stock cans, and then tonight with the STI cans. My exhaust mods are STI up/ Megan Racing DP/ Perrin Mid/y

http://putnamco.shutterfly.com/pictures

(For some reason the videos turned into sound clips, but the sound still works. Both videos were taken at the same distance from the car)

I think they look good. Sorry I didn't get any pics up been busy. Glad you like them. Is there a drone that you notice on a rpm decrease in between 1400rpm - 1200rpm?

I do notice that drone, but it's pretty minimal unless I'm coasting to a stop in a higher gear.

Thanks for the great idea mikeyvt. These really are the perfect mufflers for me, as they are quite a bit louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so. I think the low rumble is more pronounced than many other mufflers, which I really like. Now I need to ask my one friend who I would let drive my car do a drive-by.

I'll put more daytime pics one of these days that I'm home and it's light out.

It cost me $130, but it would have been a bit less if they hadn't had to figure out a way to fit the tips (cutting the bumper). For a total of $180, it was worth it to me. Also, having OEM quality, with a slight power boost (butt dyno) is nice.

Can anyone confirm that the bumper cutouts are slightly bigger on wagons. I couldn't find this by searching.

I already have a 3" Dynomax muffler welded into my exhaust and i'm getting a pair of STi cans today so i'll be able to post a vid of what it sounds like with a res. Only problem is I have an IHI Twinscroll so the boxer rumble will be missing. I'm hoping OEM STi's will be quieter than my Prodrives but after hearing yours I'm having doubts. (I thought OEM's would be quieter)

Archived