LegacyGT.com

A build thread to mix things up around here....

Seth1784

Subs look very good, nice job! :)

My only criticism would be the vent slits. They look really amateur, but that's not due to your skill, just the method you selected to make them. If it was my car I'd cut out that vent area and mount a metal grill/vent to it. You can leave an inch or more around the left and right sides, and have a the metal vent cover the edges where you already cut.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

two subs in and mounted, had a slight variation on the two boxes but no one has picked up on it but me.

Sub's are at different angles. Looks good overall though. I'd reconsider the vents. Maybe have some polycarbonate cut /etched and drop than in?

yea... they did turn out slightly off, didn't take any angle measurements or anything... just winged it. sounds good so i don't care hahahahahah.

as far as the cover goes, i didn't want to do metal, plexy or anything like that. if the glue would have held the carpet down it would have turned out better. i don't show my car and the only time i open my trunk is to load up my golf clubs or groceries soooooooo it's not like i really care. as long as it vents some heat and doesn't cave in it's good enough for me at this point.

Cut those vents out, use some thick expanded aluminum mesh and back light it with some neons to show off those amps and rack you put so much time in. Would be an easy and cheap mod. They have scrap pieces at metal shops left over from sheets that would cover that area. I did this in my old show car with the neons and it looked great and very sturdy with plenty of ventilation.

If you're sticking with those vents, you might want to add one or two 12V DC box fans down there. Just get some meant for PCs and you'll be fine. Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146001

i've got two stinger cage fans sitting in my closet, i just need to buy myself a toggle switch to wire them into play.

i'll say this though... everything amp wise was in last summer and i was running at least one sub on part of the hottest months we had here. never once did i have any over heating issues. the lrx's hold head fairly well though which kinda sucks... that's the only reason i need to put a fan on anything.

the tire well vents better than you'd guess. as time has went on the little chunks of carpet that didn't want to come off have came off...

Cut those vents out, use some thick expanded aluminum mesh and back light it with some neons to show off those amps and rack you put so much time in. Would be an easy and cheap mod. They have scrap pieces at metal shops left over from sheets that would cover that area. I did this in my old show car with the neons and it looked great and very sturdy with plenty of ventilation.

pass... as i've said before, i have no desire to show off. i also don't want metal on the cover, i put all sorts of things back there that'd scratch up metal or plexi it's supposed to be a use able trunk not a show trunk. i also have no desire to light anything... did that with an old install but then i was still going to car meets and crap. i've long since out grown any of that.

Mine was completely useable with the mesh. Had three small/medium sections in the middle. Never scratched anything. Had a single ten and 2 amps mounted in the wheel well. Worked great and had a ton of space to put golf clubs/chairs, bags, whatever back there. I can see not wanting neons, as I have outgrown it too, but you're covering up a lot of nice work so I figured you should show it off.

eh, like i said i don't do shows or meets or any kind. i built this for myself and myself alone, so no need for showing it off. honestly i like the fact that less people know what's in my car. hell when i was doing a good handful of car meets i had strangers come up to me and ask me questions about my car knowing full well what's in it from previous events. creeped me the hell out... also made me a lot more paranoid about someone breaking into my car lol.

i honestly wouldn't like having metal or anything back there that wasn't carpeted. the mdf is doing an alright job, it's just not overly pretty. it functions fine so that's good enough for me.

Archived