LegacyGT.com

A build thread to mix things up around here....

Seth1784

• I Donated Too
Thanks for the info man. That last part you say about not all music is the same has really gotten my attention when listening to music, I always have to change my EQ settings on a reg setup or else the sound can be bad. Hopefully I can save up some cash and order my JDM Double Din soon. The factory sound on our cars is not that quite impressive. I have a question for ya though, would this amp work on our factory HU?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YVZ16Y?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I ask because I really would like some bump while I save up enough for a full double din install

That little amp would be good to run some low end components. From what your financial situation sounds like and your n00bishness toward audio, it would make sense to get the Jazzy aux-in (unless you already do), a set of components (polk sells decent stuff for ~$100), leave the rear speakers alone, and have the amp fuel the components. Sound dampen your front doors and I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with that setup.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

real quick... just an fyi, swapping out the headunit and running the oem speakers will make a pretty sizable difference for the average listener. i know most people are content with just that alone.

when you start looking to subs, it's all personal opinions... what one person thinks is plenty, another will say it's not. i personally say when you do not have amped highs, 200 to 300 watt range is plenty. other wise it'll drown out the rest, now... what i'd do is pick up a used amp off of some where like diymobileaudio's forum. looooots of good stuff floating around there for some damn good prices. if you don't mind used gear that is...car audio is one of those things that doesn't hold value worth a damn unless it's rare, brand new, or just terribly high end.

i do have the jdm double din set up, i ran a processor to the oem unit prior though. actually ran through three different processors including the audison i have now. i tried the rockford 360.2 and an alpine h650 both were garbage.

id you stick oem i suggest the audison bitone, it's not cheap by any standard... i gave 650 for that alone, and i know audison has taken price hikes. i believe i heard the bitone is now up to about 800 bucks. what it does is amazing though, it'll take the signal (rca or speaker line) clean it up, then let you do anything your heart desires. each speaker gets a 32 band eq, you can choose cross over sets (single or dual meaning just high, just low, or high and low points to cut off), along with db slopes for those cross over points (kinda like how it fades into the cut), gives you a ton of rca outs, optical in and optical out (mostly build for the audison high end amps) also gives you the ability to save 4 different tunes for your system. since no two music types are quite the same you can change for the different types of music you're listening to. you also have sub gain control, fade, balance... and true volume control... all from a nice little wired remote control. if you truely want your system to come alive... it is the key.

Where did you mount the bitone remote control?

brick... they are flat out outstanding. the 6.5's sound best when they're in a box, but even in just a baffle they pack a heck of a punch. the 3's and 1's produce wonderfully clean vocals over a wide range that keep on surprising me every time i throw something new at them. when i bought them i did so sight unseen/heard because my dealer needed higher focal numbers lol. so with that said my price was good... and i figured if it was going to be anything like the krx2's i'd be pretty happy. well... they blow those out of the water without any question.

lung... i actually just have the controller sitting in the passenger seat. i've thought about cutting a hole into the shifter bezel for the controller though... just need to see about getting a spare first. (i like to have a back up prior and for going back to stock later)

they really do make a good product though, no question about it... i wanted to try hertz to mesh with audison (since hertz is owned by audison) but no one around here carries them.

they'll blow jl and alpine out of the water on the tweeters alone, anything older atleast... both of those companies used a waaaaaaay too harsh tweeter to my ears.

thanks too... when it starts to cool down i'll get back to working on it again. it's just waaaaaaaaay too hot here to be out messing around in a car. we're averaging a good 100 to 108 for the last few weeks.

they really do make a good product though, no question about it... i wanted to try hertz to mesh with audison (since hertz is owned by audison) but no one around here carries them.

they'll blow jl and alpine out of the water on the tweeters alone, anything older atleast... both of those companies used a waaaaaaay too harsh tweeter to my ears.

thanks too... when it starts to cool down i'll get back to working on it again. it's just waaaaaaaaay too hot here to be out messing around in a car. we're averaging a good 100 to 108 for the last few weeks.

Nobody around here carries anything good, everything is all about JL and Alpine, Dont get me wrong I love JL stuff, but they shops around here shove it at you like its the best thing ever

lol yea... i wouldn't get along with those kinds of people. the only thing from jl i really liked were the slash amps and the w6 sub. everything else was just crap in my book. been a while since i've listened to anything though... anymore i stay outta the audio shops for fear i find more wants.

lol yea... i wouldn't get along with those kinds of people. the only thing from jl i really liked were the slash amps and the w6 sub. everything else was just crap in my book. been a while since i've listened to anything though... anymore i stay outta the audio shops for fear i find more wants.

they have great subs and amps, but the price levels aren't the best :(

• 1 month later...

welp it's cooling down again soooo i'm getting off my ass and starting to finish this project. hopefully these enclosures turn out alright. if they don't i'm probably going to be pissed. this is my first time doing a sub enclosure as well so i'm not sure if i'm doing things quite right but... we'll find out soon enough i suppose. i've got about two layers of glass down so far. it pretty much looks like ass but as long as it turns out alright i guess i wont care. most likely i'm going to just carpet these things... i can't see wanting to paint them at all. i don't overly love how they're going to cover up part of my tire well cover, but it's going to be kind of unavoidable at this point.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/Seth1784/Audio%20Emporium/Audio%20Build/IMG_20120930_160327.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/Seth1784/Audio%20Emporium/Audio%20Build/IMG_20120930_164130.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/Seth1784/Audio%20Emporium/Audio%20Build/IMG_20120930_165356.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/Seth1784/Audio%20Emporium/Audio%20Build/IMG_20120930_185148.jpg

first couple images... i own two 12 inch image dynamics idmax dual 4 ohm version 2's. i've been running one of them for 7 or so years now. (car before the legacy and the legacy) and i love em, good range and smooth.

i got offered a while back to buy one of the focal k2 powers... the 33KX. actually ran it in my car for a little while... thing is stupid smooth and has a hell of a great range.

the bitone's are amazing. hands down the best mod to an audio system that you can do. before the bitone i had the rockford 360.2 and the alpine h650 both of which were garbage. the alpine you couldn't do anything other than let it set up and tune itself. if you wanted to change something oh here let me give you a 3 band total eq. i mean what the hell??? the 360.2 i had the first run of them... which would not in any way talk to a laptop. it'd only talk with the palm device which made tuning it a royal nightmare. dunno how many times i would adjust the wrong slider or the slider itself would shoot up/down far off of where i let go of the touch pad. i also didn't like how it'd deaden the whole system and bring it back for any change....

with the bitone everything is done in real time with a laptop. i love having 4 load outs all at the ready if i so desire. i love how easy the software is to use for folks with little to no tuning experience. i can also tell you this... with the 360 i had a slope in an S shape (normal), the alpine i dunno what the hell it did but it sounded like crap, and with the bitone i'm almost completely flat. i've adjusted some sub items to force out a bit more bass than what it tuned for... my highs i didn't really mess with much other than cut points. i freaking loooooove that fact. even on the oem headunit it made a world of difference, out of everything i've got i'd recommend that the most.

with that said... i've kind of started to eye ball a newer headunit. having 7 year old maps is kind of becoming a pain in the rear.

cipher... lol thanks, slooooow going process so prep for a wait for finished photos.

2000.... good luck man, i had one of the first runs and owned it for quite some time now. i heard they were climbing in costs and they released a couple different versions now instead of the straight all or nothing model.

yea... my audison dealer told me two years in a row that if i wanted something prices were rising. i'm betting it's due to component costs going up... i think to combat the higher costs of the real bitone they brought out the other options for the budget minded person. i gave 600 something for my bitone when it came out... i look at it as a full blown headunit since it basically does everything but read a disk.

i don't overly know much on the bit10's but if you want i can do a little bit of reading i suppose.

Archived