LegacyGT.com

I finally did it (pics)

fbi012

I am planning on black with silver 'Subaru' logo. To each his own, but when I see yellow I picture all the Civics held together with duct tape with front calipers and rear drums painted yellow here in NoVA. :(

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To each his own, but when I see yellow I picture all the Civics held together with duct tape with front calipers and rear drums painted yellow here in NoVA. :(

i wouldn't exactly call this rice........;)

http://www.autobytel.com/images/Autoshows/lashow/650/DSCN0174.jpg

Some people don't understand the All Show and No Go mantra.:confused:

Yellow on some puny twin-pot front brakes on a 168hp 2.5i is rice, plain and simple.

Yellow on some BBK six/four-pot front brakes on a 500hp Carrera GT is nothing to talk about, the car's engine overshadows all that.

I keed I keeed

Besides......quote me where I called it 'rice'. Frankly, I think any color other than a black or grey doesn't look good on a car that doesn't come that way from the factory. A bright color is supposed to draw attention to the hardware. Stock calipers on an LGT aren't much to scream about....

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think yellow is pukey to begin with, even if it's on a Carrera. It's also not cool to down on his car and call it puny. I don't like the yellow, but it's not my car.

Check these out:

http://hometown.aol.com/oc0916/images/brembo%20yellow%20calipers.jpg

Would I roll them on my car? No. Would they look good on a Legacy (IMHO)? Maybe.....but only because they are Brembo's. ;)

Many of the things we do to our cars come down to personal choice. I ran into a guy with an identical car as mine at the Home Depot the other day (Atlantic Blue LGT wagon) - he had bright red pinstripes with some pattern to them. He was extremely proud we had the same cars....I nodded my head and kept walking. I wish i had a camera with me.

yes I agree everyone has a different look on things, on the other hand, on a black car, yellow or black look best, red will look like crap to me so would silver, since our legacy has no silver parts. On a Porsche Cayenne, brakes r silver but at the same time the door's edge is silver.

Also dont forget that alot of the rice cars you're refering to paint red and silver, so to me its a matter of choice I suppose, but wait till I take some pics of the whole car outside on the street with no flash, trust me it looks alot better than those pics.

Everyone has a color choice in mind that they think looks good with their particular vehicle. And, I understand the visual connection you're making between the black and yellow. Props to you for taking the time to do it, and if you're going to do the fronts, do the rears too, so you have balance. Then hide/frame the calipers behind some really decent black/or dark gunmetal rims and I think everyone will see what you're thinking.

I'm interested in what steps you took to prep and paint the car. Did you leave the calipers on the car? It looks like your backing plates are really shiny, did you clean/polish them up too? How much time start to finish did you devote to this effort?

Being very anal about paint work, I'd pull off the calipers and go to work on them with my Dremel tool to smooth out the surface, get rid of any corrosion and then undercoat them with a rust-inhibitor and top coat/clear coat that doesn't seal in the heat. I'd probably put the Subaru logo on the front, if I had the time, but definitely would paint them if I could find the time to do it.

Again, well done and good luck with your wheel search.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

thanks Subie. I used this to do the job..

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/7985/imagecaliperkit5ph.th.jpg

Since it's not a spray-can, you can keep the calipers on and paint with the brush. All you have to do is mask the brake pad, bleeder screw, and other parts that are not supposed to be painted. As you can see on the picture, the whole thing comes as one package, with a cleaning spray, which I used to clean the calipers and other wheel components.

I would suggest smoothing out the surface before painting them, it will give a cleaner finish. But since I don't have the right tools I didn't, turns out to be just fine.

Now the whole thing took me 4 hours for both front calipers, I consider that a lot of time, but its the painting that took all the time. I don't paint stuff often so I'm not very good at it. If you are used to painting stuff, and you have the right tools, it should take 2 hours to do all FOUR calipers.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed from the first picture, but I was actually working in an underground parking. I live in an apartment, which means I don't have a garage of my own, and that's the reason why I don't have any tools.

OH one last comment, if anyone decides to buy something similar to the product I posted, you might want to buy a better brush. The one included truly SUCKS. I had to go buy another one while painting, good thing there's a dollar store nearby.

fbi, nice job with the paint and thanks for sharing the info. It can be toughgetting people to relate when you have an idea in your mind that may take a few steps to complete over time. Don't worry about the "flaming" and such. IMO the calipers wouldn't look bad with the "SUBARU" logos. Be sure to post pics when you get your rims. :)
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Painted mine red on my black 05 GT Wagon. I painted them red on my 00' black GT Wagon and yellow on my red 98' GT Wagon.

My 92 Civic Si which is painted Spa Yellow Pearl (Acura NSX and Honda S2000 yellow) with full body kit and turbo charged, built 1.6L SOHC, has red calipers. That car is not rice, it's all about HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived