LegacyGT.com

New Leggy owner- transition to synthetic w/ high mileage?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
still torn myself at wanting to put high mileage Mobil 1 in my 05 LGT or not. it seems to be a very heated debate among supporters of each side. i ran mobil1 in my truck with a k&n oil filter and never once had an issue. my loyalty lies in it, but my checkbook wouldn't agree with turbo issues if i use the wrong stuff. still need to see if the mesh filter is in the banjo bolt too.

i have a 132,000 mile gt and i switched to royal purple 2800 miles ago right after i bought it. i'm certain it was changed with cheap "jiffy lube" oil before. had one of those static cling oil change reminder stickers on the inside of the windshield. no leaks or consumption since the switch. 5w30 weight. i religiously change my oil at every 3000 miles even with synthetic... just my $.02

i have a 132,000 mile gt and i switched to royal purple 2800 miles ago right after i bought it. i'm certain it was changed with cheap "jiffy lube" oil before. had one of those static cling oil change reminder stickers on the inside of the windshield. no leaks or consumption since the switch. 5w30 weight. i religiously change my oil at every 3000 miles even with synthetic... just my $.02

Royal purple? :eek: it turns into water after a couple thousand miles

When I got my car it had Royal Purple in it, I changed it out as soon as I got home. It's your money, but because of the dye used in Royal Purple to color it purple, it reacts to ultraviolet light and turns dark very quickly. I sold the stuff the first few years after it was first introduced and all their products were synthetic. Then in 1994 they started using a blended based oil in their standard motor oil but didn't drop the price. When it was full synthetic you could run it 10,000 mile between changes, with a filter change at 5000 miles. After they changed it, about 4500 miles and your gas mileage would start going down, indicating the oil was thickening due to oxidation (which also means the ph was going down-getting more acidic).

As far as I know, their racing products are still full synthetic, but unless they went back to the original formula, the street oils aren't. I ran their racing products in motorcycles, and my race cars and they were great.

My opinion, if I'm spending the money for a synthetic oil, it needs to last 5000 miles between changes. If not, just run a good dino oil.

It just cracks me up how people believe the hype about the oil, high mile oil, and this and that. I have 180k on my corolla and use Amsoil and no high mile oil. Now mobile one is good stuff, But I am amsoil till I die. Check it out.

http://www.raceoildirect.com

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/troll%20face/grand/troll_face_gif.gif

excuse me, what did you say you have there? how the f would you compare a corolla with a turbo subie?

you crack me up

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/troll%20face/grand/troll_face_gif.gif

excuse me, what did you say you have there? how the f would you compare a corolla with a turbo subie?

you crack me up

Hey, my 1992 Honda Civic went 216,000 miles on cheap oil from Wal Mart and Fram filters. I'm sure that's why my 05 is doing fine on the same diet.

So it must be true.

Most of us know how good Amsoil is. That's why my 09 Spec B has it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

oil does matter, but amsoil in a corolla is hilarious.

Surly you can't be suggesting that the corolla isn't worth the cost of the Amsoil...now that would be funny...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Where can I find some more information about this Amsoil, is it better than other motor oils?

Looks to me like some buddy is trolling...lol

the label on the quarts i sell say 100% synthetic...

I just checked their MSDS sheets and it says synthetic base oil. They used to say base oil with full synthetic additives. Leading you to think it was full synthetic.

I have a long history with those people and it ended badly. So, use what you want, but I don't trust them to stand behind their products.

I had customers loose expensive bearing in different kinds of equipment and R.P. refused to acknowledge that it was anything to do with their oil. Customers had run Mobil synthetics for years without a problem before trying R.P.

If you make the switch, pay attention to oil use. I found that mine used a lot more synthetic than it did dino oil when I tried to make the switch. Now, I'm back on dino oil and I haven't noticed hardly any use. On my next Subaru, I'm going to make the switch earlier.

Archived