LegacyGT.com

Tuned perfect at 75k, now at 76k steering wheel hops in 3rd, 3.5-3.75k; 5EAT

Soda Popinski

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it's the transmission. Think about it. It's balanced with the rest of the drivetrain. It either turns or it doesn't. There is nothing unbalanced about it as to cause tugging/vibration. Unless of course the differential or an axle are fuxed.

Describe what hopping means.

Does the wheel shake/vibrate/wobble as if the wheels are not balanced, or do you feel a sharp tug at the wheel as if something is locking up?

In 3rd gear, 3500 rpms - 3750... the wheel vibrates up and down, not left and right.

this morning it startled me when it hopped up and down about 1" total excursion (1/2 in each direction). Passed 3750-ish it went away. All other acceleration is smooth.

It is not speed dependent. The tech and I tried crusing at all speeds from 50 up to 100, even letting it coast from 100 down to 40 and no vibration. It only happens under acceleration.

This afternoon I could not duplicate it, however, there is a NVH in the wheel that was never there. For 75k this was not a problem. Suddenly this popped up. As the only owner and driver I noticed the change immediately.

The tech thinks that the clutchpack might not be able to grab right and is causing chatter. (speculation as we couldn't duplicate).

during the rally I was able to do 0-130 or beyond without a single problem. No vibration only smooth shifting.

Describe what hopping means.

Does the wheel shake/vibrate/wobble as if the wheels are not balanced, or do you feel a sharp tug at the wheel as if something is locking up?

Ok seriously, the guy replaced his axle, and now wonders why it is not perfect anymore?

Maybe a few bolts were left off, or not tightened to the right torque? Maybe double check his work and not assume that the transmission is at fault. Many people have said here already what it may be, but he still is focusing on the transmission.

There is another thread of his with a caliper issue, many people told him what the best route was, but he is still spinning his wheels in his head as to what to do.

And oh yeah Unicorn blood is real, Spec B oil a little less real! I think this thread needs some pics!

X

---

nice try laz, nice try. already told you what I was going to do about the caliper. god forbid I want to talk tech about it of possible alternatives. get off your high horse

I think you are confusing me with another member of the community here!

:lol:

X

---

The OBXT did exactly that when the LF axle went south ( torn boot, contaminated internals ).

You're 100% sure the axle is seated all the way into the tranny ( ie the spring clip is engaged )?

Also check out the numerous threads on part-store axles, early on there were some WRX axles floating around that "seem" to fit but don't. Search here and verify your part number.

GL, hope you figure it out.

The OBXT did exactly that when the LF axle went south ( torn boot, contaminated internals ).

You're 100% sure the axle is seated all the way into the tranny ( ie the spring clip is engaged )?

Also check out the numerous threads on part-store axles, early on there were some WRX axles floating around that "seem" to fit but don't. Search here and verify your part number.

GL, hope you figure it out.

ya. the only thing that the part I got and the part shown in the LGT's DIY article is the roll pin is non existant. even in the oem one. Took the ball joint off and the entire axle slid right out with a slight tug.

The new one snugged in with a rubber hammer and me holding it while someone tapped it into place until it couldn't go in any further. Everything else fit back together easy as pie.

Thanks for the link I'll be sure to check it out.

You said it's not speed dependent, but happens only under load (acceleration).

It really exclusively happens in 3rd gear? What about 4th at those same revs?

Have you maybe looked around at the tranny mount?

The tranny mount is that rallitek one (I think it's rallitek?) The blue urethane bushing one (race version) so it always got SOME NVH. nothing like this though.

A quick visual inspection whilst under the car showed no other leaks. I'll look closer tomorrow when I can get the car on the jackstands again. tonight I have appointments.

I'm curious as to what other rubber bushings may have torn. I have the whiteline roll center alignment kit and whiteline steering rack kit (both installed at dealership)

For it to be felt through the steering wheel, it must be something that is connected to the steering components, typically a wheel balance/bent wheel/bearing issue.

But since you said it's not speed dependent, but occurs only in 3rd gear under load, I'd look at things that connect the trans to the steering wheel, as many have advised. I.E.: differential and axles.

If it were a trans issue, you'd feel it in the entire car.

Take a better look at the other front axle, the "new" replacement one, and the diff. I worked at Advance for 2 years and I remember a few axle returns for vibration issues.

Video link here:

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/cherrybloom203/?action=view&current=e8bfc971.mp4

I placed some coins in the ashtray so you can audibly hear the vibration. It's like 4 quick tat-tat-tat-tat and the steering wheel jumps up and down.

The vibration starts to kick in at 3500 and just about 4200 is when it gets loud enough to bang.

Also, at idle speeds if I turn the wheel from lock to lock I get a vibration the closer to lock the stronger it is, but it's not enough to shake anything other than vibe the steering wheel

At WOT the torque converter attempts to lock up at around that point, could be shot.

Some 08 LGT TC's had a shudder defect, sometimes it can go unnoticed until its beat on. It can feel like a vibe with noise until you go WOT which causes TC disengage and the noise goes away. If you hold WOT in manual 3rd the TC will ocillate(attempt) lock up (on/off/on/off) until you reach near equilibrium in which the TC will stay locked up (higher speeds). Frank_ster knows a bit more about this than I do, I'm sure he can give some insight.

Archived