LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

So much win! Awesome

Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/36eBJ6cl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4MZ8brll.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xTQ85M3l.jpg

Does anyone here know what is required to turbo this motor? I.E. can I use some ej22t parts to make it happen?

turboing an na car.... the biggest deal is the front subframe, a turbo subframe has clearance for the turbo manifolds. ive seen some people cut up the subframe to make clearance but I wouldnt recomend it. I have an extra ej22t intake manifold w injectors but shipping now days is getting pricey. Edited by USLiberty

turboing an na car.... the biggest deal is the front subframe, a turbo subframe has clearance for the turbo manifolds. ive seen some people cut up the subframe to make clearance but I wouldnt recomend it. I have an extra ej22t intake manifold w injectors but shipping now days is getting pricey.

Hmmm, so I will need to either find a front subframe, which I imagine will be a nightmare, or I can just leave this thing n/a.

Is doing head work something that is even worth the time/money? Just looking to have a little more than the stock 130hp.

just got heads back from the machine shop.

boil tanked, checked for cracks, head surface machined, painted high temp flat black.

misc parts done in silver.

coming together nicely... get new HGs, head bolts... and other new bits and pieces as it gets put back together.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa474/sqc151/MarkyMark%20Subarus/20140610_120150_zpseoz9kcix.jpg

Mind if I ask what it cost you to have this done? Looking to do the same thing before installing my new motor and trying to get an idea of how much I will be spending. Thanks!

professional headwork is probably not a great bang for your buck. You could port n polish your exhaust manifold with some porting tools, youd want to use the carbide bits and not the grinding stones. It will take a whole afternoon but its something you can do yourself. Just port enough to match the exhaust manifold gaskets, might get a few ponies.

New plugs, compression checked at 125psi all around which isnt bad for a 8:1 compression motor. washed it, and a little fuel map tuning made my day. Time to bump up the rev limit and play with timing zones. Pulls dead even with my buddies lightweight bugeye wrx with a V6 jdm sti converted to RWD. Not too bad for a 25year old EJ20g that cost 650$.

I just finished wrapping my manifolds with DEI's Titanium Exhaust wrap. BIG difference in under hood temps!

I removed the heats shields closet to the block and started there. I also removed the cat shield and the two other shields. Started from the inlet side and wrapped to the cat, Reinstalled the cat shield and two pipe shields which clamp the wrap nicely. Much cooler temps under the hood AND noticed a 1-2 degree cooler a/c!. Matbe even slightly quieter exhaust too.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/sadiemaerogers01/0615141045_zps87714f93.jpg

I love working at a shop. The perks are awesome. Just picked up a second starter for my car. When we install new parts, their is no core, so the part is ours, as in MINE. i save all my aluminum and scrap metal. This is a an oem subaru starter i replaced just because it "ticked" every so often So i tore it apart, cleaned the commutator, greased the gears and have a new plunger and contacts on order from ebay for 11 bucks.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/sadiemaerogers01/0626141459_zps93c0907f.jpg

I have an ancient Subaru Legacy wagon (1993 L4 non-turbo california) that I want to put an oil cooler on. It doesn't need it except for towing, but what the hey? These things don't look difficult or expensive. I can see that I want braided stainless lines and threaded connections, otherwise I will be replacing the lines every couple of years.

So I have two questions. All oil coolers that I have seen use a "sandwich plate" to divert the oil from the filter out to the radiator and then back again. Since there is a LARGE diversity of oil filters at the "Pep Boys" and other outlets, how can one "sandwich plate" fit them all? What do I really have to know? It seems that the filters just have a few parameters: ID and thread size, OD, and surface area. The actual length and DIA matter a little (for fit in the engine compartment) but not a lot (and not at all to the "sandwich plate" question). How many of variants of "sandwich plate" are there? And why do the sellers claim their "sandwich plate" is "UNIVERSAL"? Seems impossible, across Ford, Chevy, Triumph, Lotus...... WTF?!?

My second question is about the lines that connect the sandwich plate to the radiator. If just using rubber lines and hose clamps, the lines can be trimmed to any custom length. But I can see that the braided stainless jackets with threaded connectors will last a lot longer. How does one get the correct lengths for the tubes in this case? It seems that they cannot be cut/adjusted at home. Am I wrong about this? Perhaps one can buy them from Pep Boys in one inch increments?

I know that for more modern cars such as Impreza and WRX there are kits that provide specific solutions. But my car is much older. It seems likely that some Impreza/WRX kits could be adapted for my car, but the devil is in the details. I am asking the assembled gurus here for some details. Please help me out.

No need for an oil cooler, simply use good quality synthetic oil and you'll be fine. The concesus from here and other Subaru boards, including my personal preference, is to run Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic. I run it 10,000 miles and it still has some color when i drain it.

If you have an automatic, on the other hand, THEN i would think about a cooler. I JUST put one in from a 07 PT Cruiser, cause of the design suits the bottom of the grill perfectly.

Just did a quick stint back to Nebraska Thursday and came back to Boise yesterday. Totalled out to be 1816miles in my 91 averaged 26.2. Not bad for 206k. Cruise control set at 78-86 the whole time didn't have to downshift once up some monster hills. Lil torque monster kept truckin. No oil usage either

After 9 months of tinkering and rebuilding my motor she breathes..port and blend workson the 2.2 and I have pretty good flow through those heads finally..it pulls good power drop off is at around 5k and sounds super clean.