LegacyGT.com

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse

The Eclipse will never be the car it used to be...AWD, a variety of engines, some turbo...The previous generation was a chick car...and this one...same. Ugly, underpowered (for its weight and sporty claims), uninspired. Typically Mitsubishi ...

Damn...I almost shed a tear when they took out the 3000GT VR4. Sure that car was heavy...but it was nice and crafty. And fast.

Stealth RT looked better for being the same car.

I was never a huge fan of the tacked on wings, scoops, or the rear qarter window treatment arrangement of the 3000GT, when the stealth was a cleaner look. I liked the technology tour-de-force, but the cars just weighed so much... They were fast, though.

Man, those cars were heavy - felt heavy, drove heavy.....

But damn if they weren't cruise missiles. :)

And again, as a DSMer, damn if I didn't love them, too.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Funny how 5 of us loved the Mitsu 3000 GT. It was the car of choice in all my Gran Turismo exploits a few years back.

I wonder how much you could do in terms of weight savings on that car uin real life ? I am not highly authoritative on these cars but i must put the weight down to the mechanicals. AWD and AWS (all wheel steering) - that was right there a lot of bulk. Big engine...twin turbos... I mean one could take out the noise insulation (and the rear seat) but you're left with a car fit for track not public roads. Unless you're insensitive to noise, vibration...

Rip out sound insulation, stereo, A/C, rear seats. Replace all possible sheet metal with something lighter. Replace originlal wheels with something forged and light to decrease unsprung weight. Replace stock power seats and motors with some light fixed seats. Get rid of the inside pannels on the doors and the power window motors, replace with cranks and a light thin covering shell. Replace all the glass except the windshield with a light polymer like lexan. Gut the exhaust system and loose the cats and mufflers since they add weight and reduce power. The car would be really loud, and about 250lbs lighter for your efforts. Actually sounds like fun.

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is that this car is yet another nail in the coffin of a company that has lost focus and direction. With a regular lineup of cars that would make Tony Little yawn, SUV's that don't get even considered with the big boys of Honda, Toyota and to a lesser extent, Nissan, we may all be someday saying,

"Remember Mitsubishi? They had some pretty cool cars"...

Body double :D

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Audi/100321896/031258-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Mitsubishi/100358685/20022887-E.jpg

:eek:

can't take it....anymore...

TWO F$%KING UGLY POS with major recalls........gosh......

sorry if anyone owns them but sorry...not my kinda car...:eek:

I drove the Non-GT model. Sucked ARSE! no power. Horrible drive, ugly. Very bad. I know its mistubishi, but I would have expected atleast a little better!

Why'd you waste your time with that? Should have just driven the Evo;)

I just wish Mitsu and Nissan ( except 350Z) would make a few RWD sport cars. That would help alot. When i was looking for a AWD or RWD Import i had to go back to the 90's models to find anything worth having. Except subbies and the EVO and 350Z.

P.S. and Toyota too

- Luminati

Archived