LegacyGT.com

2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse

have you seen the specs on this car?

Comes standard with a powerful 263hp, 3.8-liter MIVEC V6 engine - 6-speed manual transmission - air conditioning - power windows, door locks and sideview mirrors, 140-watt (max.) Mitsubishi CD/MP3-compatiable audio system with 6 speakers - 4-wheel disc anti-lock brakes - traction control - SRS dual front air bags† - front side-impact air bags† - front side-curtain air bags† - keyless entry - 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels and more.

at an MSRP of 23,699.... Im not a fan of the interior colors but this car looks to be popular with that engine and low price.

http://www.team-2g.com/pictures/eclipse4.jpghttp://www.rsportscars.com/foto/08/eclipsegt06.jpg

http://www.team-2g.com/pictures/eclipse8.jpghttp://www.team-2g.com/pictures/eclipse2.jpg

a co-worker of mine just got the 268hp GT, in that exact color...ORANGE....yikes. He loves it and thinks it is a great car. The road and track article shows it has a 61-39% weight distribution, and is pretty bad in the corners. they are unimpressed, but when you think about it, 268hp out of 3.8L....NOT impressive. Power to weight ratio is horrible. for the $29K he paid, I would expect more. the seats look like they were done by Pimp my Ride guys, and they are not that comfortable.

I have not driven his yet, but looked it over, also not impressed with the rockford 600watt, or something like that, sound system....sounds WAY muddy. I tried to adjust it for him, and could not make it sound as good as our factory system with the sub woofer.

overall, he got jacked, there are some nice features, but as an entire package, it is uncomfortable, and trendy...and the color is hideous in person.

at an MSRP of 23,699....

that is for a stripped out GT...they quote 0-60 at 5.8 seconds, but for that price, you can find a car that is faster, more powerful, and more kind on the gas pump. 3.8L V6= gas hungry.

When are car manufacturers going to get it? They can't foist crap on their buyers ALL the time, and expect to make money on it.

THe car is ugly. the side window profile looks like the crazy lexus concept car in Minority Report. It looks like a bad imitation of a car that might be in the movie TRON.

It is funny, the car looks lithe and more shapely than the currently outgoing model (which is a boring lump despite all the slits and slots.) but it still weighs a lot more than it should.

There is no reason a supposedly trimmed down FWD sporty coupe should weigh more than an AWD compact-to-midsize sedan (the Legacy GT, which isn't too bad in weight, for all it's equipment.)

Has anyone seen the new commercial for this car? when they show the engine (whatever the hell MIVEC is supposed to be.) it shows the pistons in the block going up and down, and it shows a weird opening in the cylinder wall, kind of an open trough along the side of the cylinder bores, that actually intersects with them, and leaves a fraction of the piston side exposed. I hope that is a cut-away for display purposes, because I would be VERY leary of any engine designed with less than 360-degrees of piston coverage from the cylinder bore.

One would think that rather than putting an oversized, underpowered v6 in that car, they would put perhaps a slightly de-tuned version of the EVO powerplant in it, and perhaps even the AWD? Every DSM fan I talk to loves those older AWD Turbo Eclipses. (I prefer the look of the eagle Talon, but that is just me). Mitsubishi seems like despite their corporate desperation, they are thumbing their nose at those fans, and refusing to revisit one of their successful vehicles.

BTW, I have to agree that the FTO is a better looking car, and although I have seen them in british car mags, I know little about them.

Went to the dealer to see one in person. My wife started laughing and asked what the hell it was. Its really goofy looking. She said it looked like a kids toy. The worst part is they were asking for MARKET ADJUSTMENT OF $1500. WHAT A JOKE. Who will pay $1500 on top of sticker.

One would think that rather than putting an oversized, underpowered v6 in that car, they would put perhaps a slightly de-tuned version of the EVO powerplant in it, and perhaps even the AWD? Every DSM fan I talk to loves those older AWD Turbo Eclipses. (I prefer the look of the eagle Talon, but that is just me). Mitsubishi seems like despite their corporate desperation, they are thumbing their nose at those fans, and refusing to revisit one of their successful vehicles.

You got that right. When the Talon was gone (I had two), when the AWD Turbo Eclipse was gone, and when the Galant VR4 was gone (got my ex-wife to buy one because I couldn't bear the thought of trading in my Talon for it), I was gone.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Has anyone seen the new commercial for this car? when they show the engine (whatever the hell MIVEC is supposed to be.) it shows the pistons in the block going up and down, and it shows a weird opening in the cylinder wall, kind of an open trough along the side of the cylinder bores, that actually intersects with them, and leaves a fraction of the piston side exposed. I hope that is a cut-away for display purposes, because I would be VERY leary of any engine designed with less than 360-degrees of piston coverage from the cylinder bore.

BTW, I have to agree that the FTO is a better looking car, and although I have seen them in british car mags, I know little about them.

MIVEC is Mitsubishi's version of Honda's V-tek. Extra power kicks in at higher rmps. The newer Lancer Ralliart already has an MIVEC 4-banger, and runs a respectable low 15 1/4 mile.

I agree that a turbocharged Evo motor would have sparked interest in the new Eclipse, but they definitely missed the boat on that one. Can't understand why anyone would buy one.

Body double :D

NOT even close, but them side by side in person, totally different cars, but they are both sport hatch backs. I think the TT has a wonderful design, and is unique, always been a fan of the style...but no longer a fan of Audi quality. This new eclipse is not that inspired, and the more I look at my friends, the more I feel sorry for him.

butt double :D

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Audi/100321896/031258-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Mitsubishi/100358685/20022887-E.jpg

:eek:

fixed.

This Space For Rent

The GT weighs a staggering ~3600 lbs... Talk about packing on the pounds as you get older...

Sigh, I know. :(

When's Mitsu going to realize that going down the road that the Z's did in the 80s did not work.......

Hope springs eternal, though, as the Z was brought back around in the 90s and today - as a die-hard DSMer from his first showroom fresh 1G way back in '92, in high school, I will continue to hold out hope that Jackie Chan will kick some ass up in Mitsu corporate, and get the Eclipse back on-track to what it originally was.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived